PDA

View Full Version : A Good Book

ksa5223
27th Jan 2008, 08:04
Looking for a good book if there are any, about how the the systems of jets work in general - engines and all the systems liners use.

Anyone know any good books for a interested person?

Thanks

Artie Fufkin
27th Jan 2008, 10:59
"Handling The Big Jets" by D P Davies is the classic. It was written sometime in the late 1960s and was seen as a textbook for pilots transferring off piston engine airliners onto jet aircraft and explained the differences. Its still seen as relevant today.

You can pick a secondhand copy up from abebooks.com pretty cheap. Failing that I saw several copies in Foyles bookshop in London recently.

ARGREECE
27th Jan 2008, 12:34
I agree with Arti Fufkin,
however THE TURBINE PILOTS MANUAL(goes with cd) its an easier to understand and i guess a MUST for the newly transitioning piston pilot to jets or turboprops.i highly recommend it.
all the best,
AK Greece

Wing_man
27th Jan 2008, 12:54
These are the best books i can think of, used it extensivley during my degree studies:

a) Aircraft Electrical Systems - E.H.J.Pallet

b) Aircraft Instruments and Integrated systems - E.H.J.Pallet

Easy to read and verry verry informative

hope that helps, what do you need them for may I ask?

heres a link to Amazon :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books-uk&field-author=E.H.J.%20Pallett

Craig :ok:

p.s "The jet engine" by Rolls Royce is also a good investment for a no nonsense guide id rate it a 10 out of 10 for general information

ksa5223
27th Jan 2008, 19:11
Turns out my old man had the "Handling the big Jets book", should have thought of asking him :ugh:

ksa5223
27th Jan 2008, 19:15
Thanks guy's ill check out all these titles. I need a interesting book is why I need it, also to make my brain understand the information that it will need to learn sooner or later anyway!

fantom
27th Jan 2008, 20:00
'Mechanics of Flight' by A C Kermode.

Outstanding.

A must for aviators.

ISBN 0-582-42254-X

f

ksa5223
28th Jan 2008, 08:08
hese are the best books i can think of, used it extensivley during my degree studies:

a) Aircraft Electrical Systems - E.H.J.Pallet

b) Aircraft Instruments and Integrated systems - E.H.J.Pallet

Easy to read and verry verry informative

hope that helps, what do you need them for may I ask?

heres a link to Amazon :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...H.J.%20Pallett (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books-uk&field-author=E.H.J.%20Pallett)

Craig :ok:

p.s "The jet engine" by Rolls Royce is also a good investment for a no nonsense guide id rate it a 10 out of 10 for general information

Hey wingman, i went on amazon and that book was 130$ delivered! Is this a big book or has the book market exploded! :mad:

OFFTOPIC: why doesn't this forum have a quote button?

Wing_man
28th Jan 2008, 10:39
They are normal sized books,

i would not recomend:

'Mechanics of Flight' by A C Kermode

this is more aerodynamics rather than jet engine systems

Craig .

FougaMagister
28th Jan 2008, 11:58
I would strongly recommend "Aerodynamics, Engines and Systems for the Professional Pilot" by David Robson (Airlife). Its sister book, "Avionics and Flight Management for the Professional Pilot" is also very good - but out of the scope of this particular thread. Over little more than 300 pages, it gives all the info you need in a clear style, with excellent diagrams/graphs etc. Available from the usual shops/internet sellers.

Never been impressed by "Handling the Big Jets" by D. P. Davies. Why? Well, it's written in test pilot style, only covers jets (so much for those of us flying turboprops!) and definitely shows its age. A book based mainly on the 707, and describing the 747-100 as a "modern" aircraft can be disregarded in 2008. For the same reason, there is nothing in it on FBW, IRS, GPS, (E)GPWS, TCAS, etc. I know a number of recruiters swear by it (that's why I bought it), but then they are also showing their age. I have highlighted the (few) useful bits in my copy, and now it takes me under an hour to read through it!

"Mechanics of Flight" by A. C. Kermode is very good (and has been thoroughly updated, unlike "Handling the Big Jets"), but as has been said, is more geared towards aerodynamics. It also includes parts that are useless to most of us, such as supersonic flight and spaceflight. The relevant chapters are worth a read if you get the book at bargain price though.

Cheers :cool:

transfer jack
16th Jul 2008, 10:37
check out the "PilotsReference Guide" on PilotsReference.com (http://www.PilotsReference.com)