PDA

View Full Version : noob request on ME add-on in india & bush/ramp/dock anywhere

mata7
26th Jan 2008, 23:33
hi folks,

call for help!

im a lil stressed as my time in the US is ending soon and im at my wit's end. i have 2 questions. 1st for those in the know about the scene in india. and 2nd for pretty much everyone.

1:
im a noob soon-to-be (end jan.) faa asel cpl in texas with about 265 hrs on 152/172/172rg. i was wondering how important a ME add-on really is in order to be accepted to the airlines as a cadet in india and other parts too.

2:
im an india national. ive also been sending out cvs for 2 months now for bush/ramp/dock-hand jobs all over the US, canada, carib, africa, etc. and i seem to be getting nowhere. considering my nationality is it even worth it to try these places at this stage? i want to end up in bush flying (eventually the antarctic to be precise) but it just seems the only option right now as an indian student is to take an airline job in india. and thats something im really not too interested in.

advice anyone? any help would be greatly appreciated!

-roh

puliszaido
28th Jan 2008, 23:38
If you want to be a bush pilot try applying in Alaska or somewhere in Canada. Wide open spaces. Also try to get a Sea/Water rating on a Single. This would help in the long run.

About the multi rating, AFAIK it won't really help in bush flying but it is always something handy and it add a feather in your cap.

Find a school that will give you a Sea/Water rating.

Good luck.

mata7
29th Jan 2008, 01:33
thanks for that. ive actually already flown in alaska. got my ppl there and most of my north america apps are for operators in alaska and canada. as for the float rating, im trying to get a ramp/dock job so that i can earn enough to gradually put myself through that very rating. so a bit of a catch-22 there.

thanks anyway.

-roh

kk pilot
29th Jan 2008, 03:15
Your biggest hurdle will likely be the insurance issue put upon any employer. Most insurance companies will not cover low time pilots as they build their time to competitive levels thus a company cannot burden the risk - that's the catch 22 problem for most new pilots - an expensive one. High multi time is an absolute must have in most US jobs as well - your best bet, imo, is to head to India and hope for the best. Sorry, but that's the reality.:ugh:

mata7
29th Jan 2008, 04:09
yea that was sort of my hunch too - best bet to go back to india, join the airlines and stay put for a few years flying jets, build time, maybe get command (in india its 5 yrs avg.) and then look around for something more up my alley. really blows! but hey, thank you for ur opinion.

-roh

bad_attitude
29th Jan 2008, 05:49
it's good to see people who are not yet affected by the 'big shiny jet' syndrome :ok::D

mata7
29th Jan 2008, 06:01
haha i know what u mean. news comes in about the prospect of 'big bucks' flying jets in india and all of a sudden it was their 'childhood dream' all along to fly boeings.

bad_attitude
30th Jan 2008, 16:18
what kind of a VISA are you on?

mata7
30th Jan 2008, 16:43
at the moment its just a m-1 student visa. it can get an employment authorization, i think, if the employer is willing. ive seen it converted to a work visa before but i really dont know the details.

-roh