PDA

View Full Version : Lasors headache - help!! ATPL Theory

mid_life_pilot
25th Jan 2008, 13:10
Firstly, this forum has saved my life! I'm 32 and about to embark on a complete life transformation (thanks to an impending redundancy) which includes an attempt to fulfil a lifelong ambition of becoming a pilot (don't worry I'm not going to ask whether I'm too old!) and pretty much all the questions I had have been answered here already!

My question is (hopefully) simple that I haven't been able to work out from Lasors:

Are there any pre-requisites exam/flying experience wise for the ATPL theory exams? Currently looking at the Glasgow Nautical College distance learning (am waiting an email back from them but thought I'd try here as well).

I am trying to plan the best modular route around my family/work/financial commitments (!) and am thinking that completing my PPL(A)/NR and then the ATPL Theory would be a good start. To follow would then be CPL(A)/ ME IR.

Also, am I right in thinking that the exams for the CPL(A) are the same as for the ATPL (seen as how you can use credits from the CPL exams against the ATPL) therefore if I had the theory examinations in the bag then I would only need to worry about the flying element of the CPL?

Feel free to flame me if this sounds like a bad idea!

Brian304
26th Jan 2008, 11:55
Hey Mid-Life pilot

Doing it on Distance learning, I would reccommend you to use Bristol Ground school because there notes are brilliant!!!, as in there folders they give it in short the main points you need to know, and they don't try and put too much information in like the oxford books do.

Basically the CPL theory is the ATPL with a few more exams in, but I would reccommend you do the ATPL exams as it covers you for both CPL and IR theory, and long-term wise it would save you abit of time. Distance Learning wise for the ATPL takes averagely 1 year.

In some schools there is a requirement to have completed your PPL and class 1 medical before commmencing, and some there are no such requirements. Though I would still strongly reccommend you to do your PPL to get a background in flying first, and also your class 1, as its a strong commitment and let down if at the end you cannot gain a class 1 medical.

Sorry to be long-winded but I hope all of this helped. Though apart from BGS there are alot more good schools out there, but so far the best notes I've seen are from BGS, but if theres anymore please correct me on this.

Brian304:ok:

FlyingIsFun
26th Jan 2008, 13:56
The CPL(A) thery exams are of no use to ATPL. You get a credit for VFR comms. You would have to take all the others again.

The exam results have a validity length of 3 years.

So, like Brian304 says, do the ATPL set.

Zyox
26th Jan 2008, 14:56
Agree with Brian.

Get the PPL done to have some background. 50 hours or so going into the study will really stand to you understanding some of the stuff.
As for distance learning, it's a toughie with the self discipline, but what most people do including myself. Using the Oxford books and can vouch for the fact that they're horribly over detailed and scare the bejaysus out of you for some subjects. Everyone I've talked to agrees that BGS notes are far better.

Study the material and set loads of time aside for doing all the questions out of the Bristol Question Bank and possibly the Italian one if you can get your hands on it, this is where you benefit the most - question after question after question.

mid_life_pilot
26th Jan 2008, 18:39
Many thanks for the advice folks, much appreciated!

Looks like its a go for the PPL and then the ATPL. I'll definitely checkout BGS for the ATPL - was looking at Glasgow Nautical College because of its proximity to me however after reading a few posts on here it sounds like they might not be that good?

As for the medical, i've been pondering that. I know you only need a class 2 for the PPL but then the class 1 to progress. The only thing that puts me off getting a Class 1 from the outset is that you need to renew it each year and depending on how and where I go for the PPL I don't want the additional panic of getting it renewed when I might be buried in books although am I right in thinking only the initial is done at Gatwick and then the renewal can be done by an AME?

Either way a doctor at my local practise is an AME which is pretty handy.

Also I have a couple of minor medical conditions that I think might make obtaining my class 1 a lengthier process than a class 2 so again, am having to factor this in.

mcgoo
26th Jan 2008, 19:03
Also I have a couple of minor medical conditions that I think might make obtaining my class 1 a lengthier process than a class 2 so again, am having to factor this in.

All the more reason to get your class 1 now rather than spend thousands on training and then find out you can't get one.

dfspilot
26th Jan 2008, 19:07
no point in doing atpl exams if you dont know you can pass a class 1 medical. do the initial at gatwick and it also allows you to have class 2 priviledges ( ppl etc ) for two years , and class1 for 1 year.
1 get class 1 medical done.
2 do ppl n/r etc
3 enrol with bgc and do atpl exams ( 14 in all )
4 do hour building to 150 hours to commence cpl course with 100 hours pic, cpl course ( 25 hours if single engine) more if done in multi engine.
5 then renew class 1 with ame as you need it for cpl, but remember you need 200 hours total to get the cpl license issued if going modular route.
6 cpl ME or whichever way you want to do it
7 ir ( you now have frozen atpl )
8 mcc
9 join the queue for a job

or do some instructing after step 5 or after you complete if unable to land a job as it builds confidence , knowledge, contacts , and hours.
just my opinion and this site is great for getting info as you work your way through your training.
good luck and enjoy it all ( even the groundschool ).

mid_life_pilot
26th Jan 2008, 19:37
dfspilot - I didn't realise the Class 1 gave you Class 2 privileges for 2 years, thats good to know, cheers for that. In that case a Class 1 it is!

Also, cheers for the checklist - pretty much what I had figured but good to see it verified! Only thing is, checklist looks easy :)

I started reading through some PPL stuff and was amazed how quickly it sank in and the only reason being that it was because it interested me - I know the ATPL will be a zillion times harder - can't say I thought the same when reading for my wireless network cert! :zzz:

dfspilot
26th Jan 2008, 20:01
wouldnt say the atpls were a zillion times harder (evryone has 1 or2 two subjects that they struggle on ) notably gen navigation, met , theory of flight, instruments. with distance learning it takes a LOT of perseverance , patience and not being afraid to ask for help from whatever source when you inevitably get stuck on certain portions of a subject.
the biggest worry ( certainly for me ) was not knowing was i really ready for the first 7 exams and being very nervous for the first 1 or 2 of them, but after that it settles down. the brush up courses iron out any areas that you are not sure of. as for how long the atpls take, well it depends on how long you can study every day , your apptitude and your perseverance.
i wont sat by any means that its easy but it is very do-able and takes determination more than anything.
good luck with it all and the best of luck. if you want to pm me at anytime feel free.

Curvature
27th Jan 2008, 11:07
Hi Mid-life pilot,

Congratulations on your decision, remember perseverance pays off!

Just thought I would add my thoughts as I have been in a somewhat similar position to you.

To re-iterate the other members posts, definitely get your class 1 medical squared away first. You can't proceed to your end goal without it.

I seriously would not bother with the Glasgow Nautical college. I thought, as it was close to home it would be easier etc. It wasn't and the course is really a waste of time. GO TO BRISTOL. They have the best notes, the best instructors and with the online QB and some dedicated study you will pass. The exams are not really that difficult.

Follow dfspilots' checklist.

A positve attitude (which its sounds like you have got!) is important because the process is long and somedays are completely Sh*te! :}
Maintain the big picture.

All the best:ok:
Curves

mid_life_pilot
28th Jan 2008, 18:16
Dfs/Curves, thanks for the advice. Thought it was too good to be true for GNC to be a decent school so close to home even though both will be distance learning.

Positive attitude I do have, however, it might be because I'm jetting of to Florida for my holidays on Thursday? Might check out some flight schools while I'm there if I can pull myself away from the parks/beach - or the shuttle launch on the 7th which will be a treat and a half. :ok:

I'll certainly have a better appreciation for what the folks at the pointy end have been through to get there!