PDA

View Full Version : Near miss on SAS flight SK688 out of Milan Wednesday?

AmeliaJane
25th Jan 2008, 10:19
Just heard from a passenger on the above flight that the aircraft, about 1 minute after takeoff, suddenly dropped down and to the right, at very low altitude, engine power sounded off as well when trying to regain altitude and course. No information was given to the passengers about the event. Sounds to me that there was another aircraft in the vicinity, and that the pilots maneuvered to avoid conflict/collision. Anyone know if there was a near-miss or TCAS warning?

Navigator33
25th Jan 2008, 10:51
If it's in Milan, I'm not suprised about anything.

"XYZ123... canne youe stille make itte?" Not thanks to you buddy :ugh:

AltFlaps
25th Jan 2008, 11:42
Yup, absolutely ANYHTING goes at Milan (either of them) ... the Italians make the Spanish look professional !

Farrell
25th Jan 2008, 11:47
First post in Pprune Amelia.

Welcome!

(wonder which newspaper she works for!? :E )

AmeliaJane
25th Jan 2008, 11:51
and no, I'm not a journalist - I've been a guest reader on this forum for ages, just never had the need to ask a question before :) I'll do my best to contribute now I've finally joined!

Nardi Riviera
25th Jan 2008, 12:21
... about 1 minute after takeoff, suddenly dropped down and to the right, at very low altitude, engine power sounded off as well...

Sounds like a normal "step-departure" from a multi-airport TMA. (Or whatever correct term is.)
Levelling out neccessarily requires power reduction to keep assigned altitude, and can feel like "dropping down" for a passenger.
Also believe a turn may coincide with the levelling out. After one minute the a/c is normally not "very low altitude".

Pilots current on area may perhaps enlighten us with more detailed description of such procedure.
Need it myself as my knowledge is a bit outdated... :O

AmeliaJane
25th Jan 2008, 12:50
Normally I would think that this was just a passenger overreacting, but this is a guy who's a regular passenger on the route, and he was adamant that this was not normal. Just trying to calm him down at the moment :)

johan_jnb
25th Jan 2008, 13:09
in MXP (depending also if RWY17L or RWY17R used) i would say this was the (on ATC discretion) ROMAGNANO departure, at 1500' right turn track 294... very dramatic!! :hmm:

could also be your standard BIELLA SID which requires a sharp 90 deg right at 1800'....

AmeliaJane
25th Jan 2008, 13:46
That's probably it you know. Thanks johan_jnb :)

interpreter
25th Jan 2008, 14:25
Reminds me of the approach to Gibraltar at the height of the air space crisis when BEA flew there. The captain would come on and warn passngers of a steep turn to the left and although for us pilots it was interesting some of the passengers really did look as if by "steep" he meant "very violent ". Ah, those were the days when many of the flight deck were ex-RAF and a chance to throw the thing around a bit was too good to miss.

radeng
25th Jan 2008, 16:15
Sounds like the reverse of the overland approach to Kai Tak!

TightSlot
25th Jan 2008, 20:17
Welcome AmeliaJane - first of many, we hope

c3pd
1st Feb 2008, 06:26
Now THAT was a landing to always remember!

Ivor_Novello
1st Feb 2008, 09:34
Yup, absolutely ANYHTING goes at Milan (either of them) ... the Italians make the Spanish look professional !

So on the basis of what statistics and facts it has been established that Italian and Spanish airspace are not controlled in a professional way ?