PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 medical assistance

Wing_man
25th Jan 2008, 09:36
Hi I have just booked my class 1 medical, its in a couple of weeks, could you please offer me assistance:

a) Preperation

b) Do's and Donts

any other assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

;)

Whirlygig
25th Jan 2008, 09:44
Have a bath beforehand, don't eat garlic, don't be late and don't turn up with a hangover. There's no preparation that you can do, as for anything else, it's common sense and the medical department take you round by the hand.

Cheers

Whirls

HappyFran
25th Jan 2008, 09:45
It's not a big deal :\ do not fret about it. An average person in reasonable health would pass it.
The only things you could fail on, you can do nothing about e.g. colour blindness.:{
No need to get you 100 metre dash below 10 sec, though it may help !!:}
Only prep I would suggest is don't go on bender the night before :uhoh::uhoh:

Good Luck

Wing_man
25th Jan 2008, 10:37
Cheers guys I appreciate your input.

More still welcome :ok:

m3oml
25th Jan 2008, 10:54
don't fret about it,its no big deal.worst thing is having to sit around for a while in a cheap dressing gown.like th eother guys said,stay off the booze he night before and you'll be fine.not that turning up with a hangover would fail you,just doesn't look good, and might make the eye test a bit more strenuous

chris-squire
25th Jan 2008, 11:09
They made you wear a dressing gown! :) :) :)

I didn't have to wear one at any stage of my medical. I would, howeve, advise wearing tracky bottoms and a loose shirt as you will need to be poked and prodded by the AME and for your ECG.

I would agree with the above, there's not alot you can do other than the following: -

1) Don't eat a packet of Sour Haribo before hand as that will **** up your blood sugar.
2) Don't drink at least 24 hours before hand.
3) If you smoke, don't stand outside the CAA HQ having a quick fag before you go in, they may frown on that!
3) Relax, the rubber glove is suprisingly friendly :E

CS :ok:

Andy120
25th Jan 2008, 11:18
Just be ready for a big danish bloke who will tell you to drop your pants! (In my case anyway)

vlieger
25th Jan 2008, 11:22
Hehe, tell me about the rubber glove :}

Don't worry, it's no big deal, I did my initial a few weeks ago and passed. All in all it takes about 3 hours and no, you don't have to wear a dressing gown. The staff are very friendly so as long as you're in good health you'll get through.

chris-squire
25th Jan 2008, 11:29
Ah don't scare the poor guy....they'r winding you up mate. The AME isn't big of Danish. Infact the guy I had was fairly normal size aprt from the ******* rolling pin sized fingers!!!! :{

Wing_man
25th Jan 2008, 11:38
LOL! so i better not have a drink in the parking lot then!

chris-squire
25th Jan 2008, 12:01
Well that's up to you mate but the 2 AME consulting rooms are at the end of the corridor looking out towards the car park so I wouldn't if I were you. :)

As said above and in all seriousness, make sure you wear something comfortable and as embarrasing as it may be walking out of the CAA HQ like John Wayne, the Proctol exam is a necessary evil. You'll be fine, doesn't take long.

:E

Wing_man
25th Jan 2008, 12:28
O yes and another thing, if i fail to qualify for a class 1 but would pass a 2 would i get a class 2 certificate?

P.s some feedback to my other post would be appreciates (posted just before this)

:O

GaryS
25th Jan 2008, 12:43
All the previous replies have failed to mention the 12inch needle :E

Only joking :D

I am unsure if you will be issued a class two if you fail the class one, try contacting the medical department, they are very helpful.

I can also confirm no dressing gown required!

chris-squire
25th Jan 2008, 12:45
Interesting question...

I honestly don't know. I would think so yes but best bet would be to phone the CAA Aeromedical helpline for that one.

If there's any probs they can issue a Class 1 but with restrictions on it. Again, best bet is to phone them direct if you are uncertain about anything.

The CAA are human too...just! They'l guide you through the process and are generally really friendly so I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. Just relax and all will be well!

allanon1980
25th Jan 2008, 15:12
Just got my results in the post yesterday. Passed everything. I must admit I'm totally paranoid about doctors, hospitals etc I havent been to the doctor in over 5 years except for my class 2. In the end it turned out that I had built it up into something it wasnt. The staff were really friendly, in fact the worst part of it was the waiting around.

wheelbrace
25th Jan 2008, 17:29
As the Dane's personal blacksmith, I can assure you that it has it's claws clipped on the 15th of every month. The guy with the rolling pins, however... tight grip... I can only suggest you cough long and loud to avoid a partial failure and a test repeat! :eek:

ps - myspace, youtube and bibo have have recent sneak footage if you wish for a preview of the aquarium. See you on there! :E

The golden rivet is a myth, by the way.

Artie Fufkin
25th Jan 2008, 18:15
Talking of pre medical wind ups, one of the guys on my course swore blind that after the old "cough and tickle" he was asked to turn round, bend over and then had his cheeks parted to check for hemmeroids! :eek: (No one beleived him, but he resolutely stuck to his story for the whole course)

Remember, the medical isn't a fitness test; there are some unbeleivably fat pilots out there.

chris-squire
25th Jan 2008, 18:34
hahahahaha!brilliant!

As mentioned above, cough and think of england!

It isn't a fitness test but you do have to have a reasonable level of fitness at the time you do your spirometry exam. smoking 40 a day and living on kebabs wont get you through it!

Good luck and enjoy.

One final thing, don't step too far inside the phsician's door until you have clear line of site on the KY! I would hate to b the person having a medical on the day they ran out! :{

CS-CCO
25th Jan 2008, 20:25
Hi,

This is my first post here, great forum by the way!

Where most people fail is on the colour blindness and for the clubbers on the hearing test...

over 35 of BMI (obesity) will be fatal as well.

mikeyk01
26th Jan 2008, 16:55
did anyone else have the testicular examination. All seemed above board at the time but now i'm not so sure cos no one else has mentioned it. I'm being serious by the way.

GaryS
26th Jan 2008, 17:01
Yes, it's normal.

Shunter
26th Jan 2008, 17:09
Hrm... they never had my 'nads out at Gatwick.

Come to think of it, there were a few things that were checked at my first ever medical (Class 2 with local AME) that weren't checked at my initial Class 1 :hmm:

wheelbrace
26th Jan 2008, 17:31
The CAA are not keen on stewdents with big balls - they tend to take too many risks with aeronautical hardware. Apparently Hannah Reitsch slipped through this net and look what happened - she 'manned' the V1, fixing its difficult gyro issue - little coincidence that Gatwick is close to Purley, the most targeted area by deceived V1 controllers. That took balls the diameter of a Chinook's discs!

This could be why female pilots are preferred for safety issues; they empathise with aircraft rather than bully them. :suspect:

So my girlfriend informs me. :ouch:

Joffyh
26th Jan 2008, 17:42
Hrm... they never had my 'nads out at Gatwick.

Same here, the last bit with the AME was more like a normal check-up at the doctors. He took my blood pressure, listened to my chest/breathing and talked to me about a few things I'd mentioned on my form.

Artie Fufkin
26th Jan 2008, 17:52
I think it depends on the AME. I've been to 5 different AMEs for medicals over the years, two gave me a full testicular examination, one grabbed hold and asked me to cough, one simply wanted a viewing and the other wasn't interested in anything inside my pants.

Leezyjet
27th Jan 2008, 02:11
did anyone else have the testicular examination. All seemed above board at the time but now i'm not so sure cos no one else has mentioned it. I'm being serious by the way.

Yeah I had it done too, although I think it depends who you get (I had a woman doing mine thankfully - maybe she just wanted a cheap thrill :E ) but speaking to some of the chaps on my course, seems like I was the only one who had them felt !!.

I didn't have to wear one at any stage of my medical.

We all had to wear one, had to undress top half then sit around in the dressing gown for the rest of the time.

Don't wear a suit either. The only guy who turned up in one when I was there, couldn't get his heart rate up high enough on the step thingies they make you do, so they sent him out to jog round the car park on a cold November morning in leather shoes !!!.

I went for a cheeky quick check up with the local Dr before I went for my class 1 (well I pay my taxes and never usually use them unlike most of the jobless immigrants in the waiting room !! - and not used them since actually) and took along the requirements and asked him to give me a quick once over and if he thought I'd fail any of the things. He checked my cholesterol which due to family history, was higher than normal so for the next 2 weeks I had one of those Flora Pro-Active drinks each day, and when tested by the CAA, it was back to normal - so they do work !!.

:ok:

chris-squire
27th Jan 2008, 13:05
Its suprising that the AME's dont seem to perform exactly the same examination on people. Mine just went things I'd mentioned on the form and did a normal check up. Did ask me to cough but just pushed against my stomach when doing it.

I fully deserve to fall for this after my comments earlier but...jog round the car park? Step thingies???

I almost hope that is true just so that when im on approcah into LGW I can look out the flight deck to see some guy in a suite legging it around the CAA carpark! Brilliant!lol.

CS :)

Lazy Gun
27th Jan 2008, 13:42
Don't worry about the medical... the staff at Gatwick are very friendly, you don't have to wear a dressing gown and no one will snap on a pair of latex gloves and do scary things to you.

If you get the nurse I got for the ECG then your heart rate might be a little higher. This is normal- she was an absolute fox. :}

LG

PS- no one played with my bahookies either.

Wing_man
27th Jan 2008, 13:42
Lol cheers :O

Paultuk
27th Jan 2008, 14:21
If you get the nurse I got for the ECG then your heart rate might be a little higher. This is normal- she was an absolute fox.

When i went my heart rate was a little higher but the person doing my ECG was male!!Should i question my sexuality? Lol

On a serious note. I went to my Class 1 initial thinking i would fail as my Class 2 ECG showed i had Left Brundle Branch Block. The ECG at my Class 1 was clear and the AME said it was most possibly a faulty sensor on my Class 2!!!

Shocked i passed the Class 1! Anyway staff are very informative and friendly. Certainly nothing to worry about. Take a good magazine as there is a lot of waiting around to do!!

I had to travel quite a way so as my medical was first thing in the morning i stayed at a local hotel the night before. This way i didn't have to worry about traffic to Gatwick. Worth thinking about especially if your going for something as important as a medical where you need to keep calm and keep the heart rate to a norm.

All the best Wing Man!!!

PT

chris-squire
27th Jan 2008, 14:35
Lazy Gun - Another victim to the Foxy nurse at CAA Aeromedical. About 5'7", blonde, very nice love pillows??? :)

My heart rate was mildly increased when she was booking me in. Was almost ready to drop and cough on the spot but unfortunately I was to be placed in the capable care of a fella. Really nice guy though and very professional but I was a little dissapointed to say the least! :E

CS:ok:

Leezyjet
28th Jan 2008, 02:04
I fully deserve to fall for this after my comments earlier but...jog round the car park? Step thingies???

I almost hope that is true just so that when im on approcah into LGW I can look out the flight deck to see some guy in a suite legging it around the CAA carpark! Brilliant!lol.

Would be a quite a sight watching a guy in a suite legging it round the car park !!. ;)

I sh!t you not though. Can't remember exactly what it was they normally make you do to get your heart rate up at the CAA Med Centre, (it was for my class 2, I had to repeatedly climb up and down 2 steps until my pulse rose) but whatever it was, this guy could not get his pulse into the higher rate they need to do the ECG test, so they sent him for a jog round the car park !!!.

I guess most people are able to get their pulse up inside the little room in the usual way, but he was an unusual case which is why they sent him for a jog !!.

:\

LJones
28th Jan 2008, 03:21
Hey guys,
booking my Class 1 soon, but not too confident as my optomotrist said i have astigmatism in both eyes. Also, im short sighted ( corrected with glasses ). Could any one ellaberate on this issue?

Also, i read on here about a hemeroid check.....please tell me this isnt true, i dont like to be fondled down there. :}

Does any one know that if your go for a Class 1, and fail, would they issue a Class 2? i read it here somewhere before but lost the thread.

Cheers in advance,

LJones

xXmuffin0manXx
28th Jan 2008, 05:33
i heard too..but you have u tell them or something
and they'll give you a 1st class with restrictions
or just a second

chris-squire
28th Jan 2008, 08:00
LJones - Can't comment on the optical requirements, if I were you I would take the vision requriements into your optician ans ask him or her whether they think you would pass it. Then phone the CAA to discuss with them. They will most likely ask for a full report from your optician and if thats given the all clear then make the trek to LGW for your full medical. Could be a very expensive day out if your condition is a definite no.

As for the hemaroid exam.....Dr Weidfisting will administer the exam but he's fairly friendly so don't worry! :uhoh:

Good luck fella, hope all goes well!

LJones
28th Jan 2008, 09:17
thanks for the information.

will take it to my opto.

Lazy Gun
28th Jan 2008, 18:05
Here is the info on the class 1 visual standards:

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=68&gid=1250

...and there is some additional information here including the form that you should take to your optician BEFORE you go to the initial class one medical:

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=534

Just have a look at the CAA site, via the above linkys... all the info you need is there and you can always call up the medical department if you require clarification.

LG

Wing_man
28th Jan 2008, 18:08
Thanks for that :ok:

WISH2FLY
28th Jan 2008, 21:39
Hey guys

Just a quick one...how long after the medical do you have to wait to recieve your class 1 certificate???

HappyFran
29th Jan 2008, 07:56
Wishtofly

It is issued on the day, immediately after the examination :O

LJones
29th Jan 2008, 08:20
thanks for the info, but i am from the AUS and the JAR requirements dont really help me that much, apart from giving me a good estimation. Does any one know the requirements for CASA medicals??? i've looked with no success.

chris-squire
29th Jan 2008, 10:07
Your best bet is going to be to contact them direct. Poeple on here will be able to relay snippits of info but with something so important you need to be 100% sure and get it straight from the horses mouth so to speak. Visit www.casa.gov.au, find their contact details and give them a call. It's the only way you'll be certain fella.

CS :)

WISH2FLY
29th Jan 2008, 11:44
Thats great thanks!!!

SparksFlyHigh
13th Feb 2008, 17:00
How much does the C1 Medical cost?

Wing_man
13th Feb 2008, 18:08
it costs £310 lasts all morning, the cert is issued on the day if all is ok. I had to wait an extra day for mine as the cardiologist needed to look at it due to a murmur. all is fine and it got sent via post.

I am now a proud owner of a class 1 medical.

Nothing to worry about at all - well eyesight is probably the main one

roll_over
13th Feb 2008, 18:16
When I had the ppl medical my heart was was too high and we had to wait for ages for it to come down. I wasn't 'nervous', just damn worried I was going to fail. Guess I will have to wait even longer when I do the class 1!:eek:

Alpha Foxtrot
13th Feb 2008, 21:18
Wing man,

DUDE!! Small world, I was the guy sat opposite you on Tuesday AM!! There were also two Lukes that day, bloody confusing!! I also had a heart murmur and have got to see a cardiologist... fun fun.

Glad to hear you got your class I anyway :)

chaders
3rd Apr 2008, 15:12
Hi All,

I'm off for my initial class 1 soon and was wondering if you need to get your eyes tested prior to going to gatwick or if it is done there?? I've never needed glasses and haven't been to an optition in years.

maxdrypower
3rd Apr 2008, 19:55
I posted this recenly in the medical forum , some may have missed it , hopefullly it may help
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=319689