PDA

View Full Version : Bell Ceasing Production of 206, 427,430 and 210.

VeeAny
24th Jan 2008, 19:49
It may not be news to some but it appears that Bell is ceasing production of the 206, 427, 430 and 210 helicopters.

While maintaining support for those already delivered and honouring orders up to 2010.

http://www.bellhelicopter.com/en/company/pressReleases/PR_08_0124_StreamlineProductLine.cfm

GS

Shawn Coyle
25th Jan 2008, 03:47
So it will be a farewell party for the 206B3 in the near future, it seems.
Probably one of the few machines that kept the same model of engine for it's entire production run.
What will Rolls-Royce do as far as selling new 250C20B engines?

andTompkins
25th Jan 2008, 03:52
A sad day indeed for the JetRanger. The other three - especially the 427 and 210 - good riddance. I still love the lines of the 430, but when sales are so few over 10+ years of production, I'm sure its hard to justify the expense of keeping the line running.

Sure hate to see Bell open the door for Frank Robinson. :ugh: My what a nice new light single from Bell might have been. JRX, MAPL, etc.

I'm headed out to crawl under my rock and pout.

Tompkins

rotornut
25th Jan 2008, 11:44
Not too surprising. Bell used to be no. 1 in Canada but Eurocopter has taken over the light turbine market in a big way here.

Tango and Cash
25th Jan 2008, 13:28
427 and 210--no big loss.
430--still the best looking helicopter out there.
206B--the best of 1960s technology, RIP.

andTompkins
25th Jan 2008, 13:54
"206B--the best of 1960s technology, RIP."

Good point! But you and I both know that equally configured, it can go head to head with the EC120 in HOGE useful load at ISA+20. :}

SASless
25th Jan 2008, 14:33
Errrrrrr......uhhhhhhhh....just what are they going to replace them with to keep the doors open? The 609?

zdfwflyer
25th Jan 2008, 14:45
It will be interesting to observe the after shock ripples move through the Bell workforce (both BHTI & BHTC)!
Those who are really forward thinking will transfer to Spares sales...

tottigol
25th Jan 2008, 18:10
They are still making helicopters though, and introducing a lot of new technology!:rolleyes:

EN48
25th Jan 2008, 18:16
I have been told that current 206 production volume is around 15 units per year. If this is approximately correct, easy to see why it is being discontinued.

Heli-kiwi
25th Jan 2008, 20:18
This is great news for the engineering buisness though, Rebuilds/ Refurbs will remain the best way to go as it seems to be now. The trusty old 205 can pretty much be converted into whatever option you want just short of a 212.
I know in Canada the JR is still much loved and there are tons of refurbed ones still operating probably due to the superior parts support over Eurocopter....The gate is now open for Frank but I think the 66 will still take a few years to prove itself as a workhorse, If it fails then Bell could always follow in Cessnas footsteps, and I am sure Rolls Royce are not going to lose on the overall deal either with the RR300 now on a roll.

PANews
25th Jan 2008, 21:58
The writing has pretty much been on the wall for a while now, every year HAI Heli-Expo saw some new project heralded only for it to be dropped the year after [210, 427, 427IFR, 417] then they walked away from the 139 [and I really still have to understand why] which leaves us with the feeling its goodbye commercial Bell are going military only now....

The press release states they are relying on the high volume production airframes up to 2010 but no mention what the jewel in the crown 407 is actually selling .... and the 429 isn't really in to worthwhile production until 2009...

The new horizon of 'the military' took some super nosedives with ARH causing problems...

No mention of that Skycar they teamed up with the Israelis for... quietly forgotten.

Not a mention of 609.... crystal ball stuff...

Very sad state of affairs.

Oldlae
25th Jan 2008, 22:37
The 206 is still the best looking helicopter which is why it has appeared on TV and films so often.

EN48
26th Jan 2008, 02:59
The 206 is still the best looking helicopter

Better looking than this?

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii88/EN482347/B407/B407exterior.jpg

Bell_Flyer
26th Jan 2008, 06:45
This is a real shame. A once great company run down by bean counters, bureaucrats and leaders with no foresight. Bell is in an irrecoverable tailspin IMHO.

One tiny example, after well over 30 years, they still have not fixed the TT straps problem. Not even extending the life by 10% or more. Their metallurgists people must be incompetent.

I predict Bell will become a third rate company with little future unless they get in an aviation "Lee Iacocca" to turn things round. Vale Bell....

Sgtfrog
26th Jan 2008, 11:51
Nice ship EN48, yours?

Shame about the 206 :{- great a/c IMHO.

SF

EN48
26th Jan 2008, 12:37
Nice ship EN48, yours?

Only for a few hours.:) I am doing some dual in this one as preparation for the Bell Academy B407 Initial course in TX next week.

rotornut
26th Jan 2008, 13:42
Heli-kiwi
I know in Canada the JR is still much loved...
Correct. There are exactly 500 206s listed in the Canadian Aircraft Register, although not all are airworthy. Compare that to 397 AS350/355s. Eurocopter has substantially overtaken Bell in new sales, especially in the last few years.
However, the 206 should be around for a long time yet in Canada.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/activepages/ccarcs/aspscripts/en/quicksearch.asp

McGowan
28th Jan 2008, 03:36
EN48,

Dead right, very nice looking machine. Have had my blot in one now for about 8 years. They are comfortable, quiet, smooth, fast and a dream to fly.

Congrats to Bell for a brilliant product. And to my boss who bought one........:E

vaqueroaero
28th Jan 2008, 13:27
Errrrrrr......uhhhhhhhh....just what are they going to replace them with to keep the doors open? The 609?

That's easy - T shirts, ball caps and coffee mugs.

EN48
28th Jan 2008, 13:53
"That's easy - T shirts, ball caps and coffee mugs."

This strategy seems to have worked very well for Harley Davidson. Who knows?

aldee
28th Jan 2008, 18:58
I think you'll find H-D's success goes a bit deeper than that.....

Nothing to do with marketing a product people want at a price they'll pay?

But hey, it'll be sad if Bell goes the way of the dinasaurs

EN48
28th Jan 2008, 19:18
"I think you'll find H-D's success goes a bit deeper than that.....

Nothing to do with marketing a product people want at a price they'll pay?"

Not much deeper. Their bikes are mostly 1938 technology chrome plated and polished. I was told that a very significant fraction of HD revenue comes from the sale of other than motorcycles - hats, jackets, "accessories" , etc.

I grant that HD are marketing masters - making people want bikes that were eclipsed in quality and performance by the rice burners and euro bikes decades ago (IMHO of course). Go figure!

I dont think that Bell will be going away soon. If you havent tried the 407, give it a whirl - a most impressive helicopter.

Helomaniac
28th Jan 2008, 22:55
The 407 is a gorgeous ship but the 206 is equally as gorgeous and much more affordable and convienient to hanger. Each ship has it's own purpose and each does it well. They are not meant to be apples to apples comparable. Bell is dropping the ball again (like with the 47) and exiting what could be a very lucrative market for them. Too bad they can't see that :confused:. Good luck in Texas and say hello to Master Roger @ LEB for me, thanks.

parabellum
29th Jan 2008, 09:38
I'm more than a bit out of touch these days but what about Augusta, will they continue with the AB206 or was that scrubbed long ago?

My memories of the 206 are that is was the only aircraft I flew that had a full blooded engine failure in flight and a complete failure of the left front wind screen in flight, otherwise it was nice to fly!! ;)

EN48
29th Jan 2008, 11:27
"the 206 is equally as gorgeous and much more affordable and convienient to hanger. "

No doubt the 206 is a classic that will have a well deserved high place in helicopter history. It seems however, that the market has spoken, with production numbers now down to around 15-20 units annually IIRC. Perhaps the design could be refreshed to give it new life - a little more payload and cabin room, a little more power, composite rotor system, but that's pretty much the 407, which seems to be in considerably higher demand. When I hear the word "helicopter" the 206 is the image that comes to mind, and I am sure its the same for many others.

TukTuk BoomBoom
29th Jan 2008, 19:58
Yeah and the other thing about Bell quitting 206 production is the resale value of existing JetRangers will now go through the roof!
Who's going to get the last one ever??
What happened to the 427, is that the shortest production run ever for bell??
As for the 430, big deal but the 210 looked like a good ship and a realistic way to get your ex miltary UH-1 certified, no dodgy TC, just a bit expensive..which is not the reason people buy UH-1s.
The Astars Ok but not with the Turbomeca engine, crap support and costs a fortune for modules and FCUs ( if you can get them ).
Good to hear they are sticking with the 412, good ship that, and bring back the 212 i say!

You wait.. those tiny, delicate Army EC145s will last about five minutes on the job then it will be back to the 412s as it should have been from the start.......

EN48
29th Jan 2008, 20:56
The 206 will probably soldier on for another 40 years, becoming the helicopter equivalent of the DC-3. Probably plenty of parts out there, and enough airframes to make a business out of making parts if necessary.

Tango and Cash
29th Jan 2008, 21:32
TukTuk BoomBoom,

427 production run of something around 70 airframes is still almost double the 230's run of less than 40. And the 210 will probably be the shortest of all with 2 delivered so far. A far cry from the 10,000+ Hueys back in the 60s and 70s.

Tango

Buitenzorg
29th Jan 2008, 23:55
tottigol,

that’s got to be the first time in years that “helicopters” and “introducing a lot of new technology” have been used in a sentence describing Bell!

As for the 412, after 1400 hours in it I’m more convinced than ever that it’s a perfect example of what’s wrong with Bell – a modification of a modification of a … of a 50’s design that was great back then. Exactly what is to be expected when one puts all one’s (R&D) eggs in one (tiltrotor) basket, chasing the big military bucks.

If Agusta and Eurocopter ever get their customer support sorted (some hopes, I agree) then Bell will go out of the civilian helicopter business. Damn shame, but there it is.

skiddriver
30th Jan 2008, 20:36
When I read that article is only says that 206B3 production is ceasing. It doesn't mention the L4, though one of you may have additional info on that model.

Encyclo
30th Jan 2008, 21:18
The Bell 206L-4 is not one of the models that is being "retired".

Twin-star
31st Jan 2008, 22:14
Having owned and loved several 206's this is a sad day, especially when it comes to getting parts. Although not the perfect machine by today’s standards they were a dream in terms of support.

If only Eurocopter would learn from Bell, we run four AS355's and Eurocopter have yet to grasp what AOG means in terms of support...:ugh:

rotornut
9th Apr 2008, 18:18
Why Bell is dropping the 206

This is from the March/April 2008 print edition of Helicopters magazine at p. 18. The article is entitled Shattering Records in Houston HAI Convention 2008:

Mike Blake, VP of customer solutions, said the Jetranger was dropped largely because the company didn't need two entry-level helicopters and the L4 would fill the gaps. Frank Robinson's hotly anticipated turbine-powered R66 and other competitors have slashed 206 series sales for years and it is time to trim the market losers.

ericferret
9th Apr 2008, 18:38
I wonder if Eagle getting certification for their conversion of the 212 from a twin to a single with a T53 has caused the 210 to be dropped. Anybody know what one of the converted 212's costs?