PDA

View Full Version : Please advise, help even pay for my training if you want! ;)

W4LLACE
24th Jan 2008, 19:09
This is my first post folks so be easy on me, PLEASE.

I am 25 - 26 in July, never too late! I have always wanted to fly commercially but always ran away because of the financial side of things.

Now: I am in a position where i own my house, in a relationship of 7 years and have a stable job where I also have the opportunity to study during my shift.

The ambition for me to be a commercial pilot is bursting and am now in a confident position that I can see the tunnel so to speak! Now i need to get in that tunnel - this is where you guys come in!!!

I have no flight experience other than long haul holidays every year and city jumping flights - a passenger basically. I have just spent a few ££ on books based on PPL ( im studying them - so much the mrs aint happy) to try and get as much knowledge as possable before commiting myself financially in a big way.

Ok skip to the questions I hope you guys can answer:

1: will my reading up etc of these books substitute for my lack of maths and physics - All my grades are Scottish standard grade level 3!!!

2: What route is recommended? Modular etc?

3: Do you reccommend any other courses I may take at a local college etc to improve any chance (currently checking out a NQ in Aeronautical Engineering)

4: Is there any sponsorships these days?? Very few and far between I understand?

5: What banks deal with these sort of loans??

There will be loads more questions - mind gone blank, but be assured everyones replies will bring further questions.

Any Thanks in advance and from reading other posts and threads etc etc this is a fantastic forum with fantastic folk contributing to it - no I dont want a straw!

Cheers folks!!

wbryce
24th Jan 2008, 19:31
Welcome to the forums.

1) simple answer is no! the maths/physics isn't too challenging, much of it is basics. Reading the books early will put you ahead of them game although you may need to retrace your steps when you under take your PPL training (I had to do this).
2) If you don't have 65k burning a hole in your pocket then modular is the sensible choice...you get the same license and same flight tests regarding the route you take, each have there pro's and con's which are widely discussed here.
3) No; probably a waste of time in my opinion...providing you know how to use a calculator then you will be fine! ;)
4) The only two that I know are Highland Airways (Inverness) and Air Atlantique, both part of the same group I think(if not someone will probably correct me), both don't have a high demand for pilots so the throughput is small.
5) Not really sure, I'm doing it the long way...worked full time and trained at the weekends, now training full time, I didn't like the idea of borrowing a scary amount of money.

Either way I would recommend you visit your local flying school and perhaps do a lesson or two!! If your still serious about commiting lots of money then I would consider getting your class one medical certificate sooner rather than later.

maxdrypower
24th Jan 2008, 20:11
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649

W4LLACE
24th Jan 2008, 20:13
thank you very much - feedback very much appreciated

Yeah I have spoken to my local airport who do flight lessons etc and the have put me intouch with a highly reccommended Doc who does class 1 meds - prob is he is a nightmare to get a hold of - and being referred to as the right honourable doc i dont want to keep calling or pestering him for obvious reasons. I will say tho i will do class 1 med before i commit to anything - as do most of the trainers if looked at too.

thanks again

my head is a big nearly empty space at the mo and ive reserved it for pilot stuff so please help fill it up

W4LLACE
24th Jan 2008, 20:19
FAO Maxdrypower

Please dont take offense!!

but i would much prefer constructive links - a link to the previous similar thread etc rather that rules and regs.

If there is a thread that is similar I do appologise and would much prefer a link to that, therefor future post via there!

if I may add I did look for similar threads but in this case i felt that my school grades and different circumstances, questions etc entitled me to ask - please do correct me mods if im wrong as I am completely new to this forum and would much prefer to be advised now than seem like a nuicense for ever!

wardie31
24th Jan 2008, 20:25
try to get 5 to 6 hrs flying behind u before u make any moves,on medical etc.

W4LLACE
24th Jan 2008, 20:31
will do thanks

do you mind if I add you add you as a friend and ill contact you in future (once i done a few hours - i want an advantage when I go up there)

maxdrypower
24th Jan 2008, 20:35
No offence taken matey but you will find the link I gave you answers every question you may have a thousand times over . All the questions you asked have been answered ten fold some of them in the last week .
Your ,lucky young scroggs isnt about or you may find your thread has vanished .
You have been fed duff gen by your local flying club . They can recommend all the docs they want to you for your class one however the initial can only be done at gatwick (covered in the link I gave you) I can only assume you meant class 2 in which case you need an AME .
The link given to you is about as constructive as it gets , but hey I ll leave it with you , you wanted advice , well read the thread I gave entitled read before you post . theres a reason its a sticky had you read it you would find it covers everything you asked

W4LLACE
24th Jan 2008, 20:46
thank you mate - im just very keen and life moves quicker the older you get so my fault - looking for answers now - ill have a good old look around the forum fully. thanks again

maxdrypower
24th Jan 2008, 20:49
hey im in the middle of the atpls and im 38 so at 25 I wouldnt worry about the speed too much

W4LLACE
25th Jan 2008, 06:08
hey hope you make by you 40th - get a good 25 yrs service and a nice pention;)

Me Im aiming for the 35 yrs - is this realistic?:O

W4LLACE
30th Jan 2008, 10:44
the theory part of JAA ATPL - Is there any benifit in doing this course. would this be considered over any highers?

i found this and entry requirement is PPL and an uderstanding of maths and physics!

Would this help with getting into CTC for example or places like that?

RVR800
30th Jan 2008, 12:32
:ugh:

Raise some money then

1. Do the trial flight first THEN
2. do another 4 hours THEN (if you like it) do
3. The medical (see link)

Dont think about ATPL exams yet... too soon

tom775257
30th Jan 2008, 12:58
Please just remember that training to become a commercial pilot is very high risk financially, I have seen it bankrupt people.

Don't spend money on flying that you can't afford to spend - it is too easy to spunk far too much cash on flight training!

FRED LASIN
30th Jan 2008, 14:50
Hi Brother,
Nice in meeting you. I'm fred lasin by name, i'm from nigeria. For year now have been looking for an assistance but from the government and my colleagues but there is non. Have been longing to attend flying school but am not financially boyant enough to acquire the flight training fees. Please, if there is any way you assist me to undergo training i will be very much appreciate it.
Thanks

dartagnan
30th Jan 2008, 15:33
i love niger!!!!
try to raise money like these scammers:
http://pugwash.100free.com/patrickbait1.htm