PDA

View Full Version : Jobs for the Boys?

minigundiplomat
24th Jan 2008, 16:19
I recently visited Crandwitz and was alarmed when someone informed me that the RAF leadership office (The one youve never heard of - where a Gp Capt sits fighting off the tumbleweed) have identified the 5 Pillars of leadership, and are appointing a Gp Capt to each 'pillar'.

How lost are we as a Force?

BEagle
24th Jan 2008, 16:27
Whatever happened to Adair's circles?

Task, Team and Individual Needs - the degree of overlap being relevant to the situation.

minigundiplomat
24th Jan 2008, 16:34
Only 3 Gp Capt posts!

c130jbloke
24th Jan 2008, 16:36
BRING IT ON !!!!

More techno hoop:} Just so I know which one to apply for, what exactly are the subject(s) of these mighty pillars ?

formertonkaplum
24th Jan 2008, 16:39
I'd suggest these posts will have to be Gapped anyway...............

5 Officers with any knowledge of Leadership?........ oh come on !!

dallas
24th Jan 2008, 16:45
We're good at distracting people from the primary task - Force Headquarters at Lyneham and Brize were another good example of diluting command so as to be less effective and more expensive. While we were busy creating all these new jobs, cabs at Lyneham are crying out for engineering manpower to actually get them in the air. But then, effectively managing our fleet is a thing of the past...:hmm:

As for the pillars, I'm not sure character and expression are encouraged, are they?

c130jbloke
24th Jan 2008, 18:18
Force Headquarters at Lyneham and Brize were another good example of diluting command so as to be less effective and more expensive. While we were busy creating all these new jobs

Not true.

The whole thing with the HFHQ was to get the command away from 2Gp and closer to the coal face (you can walk into the HQ if you have a problem) and cut down on the levels of staffing. As for new jobs, it was a transfer from Gp to Stn with no new jobs being created.

As for eng manpower, agree 100%, but that's a different pillar :eek:

minigundiplomat
24th Jan 2008, 18:23
AIDU,

Are those for real?

D-IFF_ident
24th Jan 2008, 19:50
• Ignorance – Burying our heads in the sand and focusing on established frames of reference, unconscious patterns, and natural biases that limit our options and narrow our choices in problem solving and decision making.

• Misdirection – Maintaining the illusion of a deep and abiding sense of the values, vision, and goals needed to guide an integrity based leadership - the thinking, efforts, and decisions that will keep you congruent with what's important, such as organizing the Summer Ball, or Christmas draw, perhaps a cheese and wine evening.

• Investors in People -- understanding what it takes to be perceived as a competent leader, without the need to actually be one; receiving comparative feedback from peers, subordinates and self on sixteen essential leadership skills and then doing whatever is most likely to get you promoted; creating a stronger foundation from which to exercise powerful leadership practices, by cr@pping on subordinates and changing stuff just so you can say you were the one that made the change.

• Character -- examining and coming to a deeper understanding of the elements that create and mold your best junior officers, then taking their staff work, deleting their signature block and inserting your own; how to build the trusting relationships required for high performance teamwork and leadership, then taking all the glory for yourself.

• Expression – Shouting, screaming, throwing things at the junior ranks; exploring and developing what it takes to be experienced by others as a leader and wondering how, exactly, you can incorporate their thoughts into your JPA annual report in a way that makes you look better than them; the ability to be seen at work in the morning before the boss gets in, and in the afternoon after he leaves; techniques for more truly effective communication, using both tongue and nose.

:yuk:

dallas
24th Jan 2008, 20:28
The whole thing with the HFHQ was to get the command away from 2Gp and closer to the coal face (you can walk into the HQ if you have a problem) and cut down on the levels of staffing. As for new jobs, it was a transfer from Gp to Stn with no new jobs being created.
Well you're the first person to actually explain what they're supposed to do. But with the work devolved, has this seen a reduction in Gp posts? Also, how do they manage to work days while the force works H24?

Biggus
24th Jan 2008, 20:40
First of all I thought it was seven pillars of wisdom, as written by T E Lawerence between 1919 and 1926, so hardly a new concept.....

As for FHQs my experience is that there was no proper handover from the demise of staff posts in Gp and the full establishment of an FHQ, so a lot has 'slipped between the cracks and often FHQs are not even aware of all that they should be doing.....

What will these 5 Gp Capts do when they have made up their powerpoint presentations of their respective pillars.......

And the answer to the first question is........yes, we are lost!!

LFFC
24th Jan 2008, 21:23
AIDU,

Are those for real?

What really depresses me is that it wouldn't surprise me if they are! :uhoh:

Safeware
24th Jan 2008, 21:52
So it will be:

Gp Capt Awareness
Gp Capt Direction
Gp Capt Competence
Gp Capt Character
Gp Capt Expression

?

Sounds like it will be the old story of Anybody, Everybody, Somebody and Nobody

sw

Two's in
25th Jan 2008, 00:33
5 Pillars of Army Leadership = BIFTY

B - Because
I - I
F - Fcuk*ng
T - Told
Y- You

Green Bottle 2
25th Jan 2008, 06:39
Safeware,

sounds like five horsemen of the apocalypse!! In these days of lean I would have thought that they would have been leaned to 3 not increased to 5!

GB2:E

BEagle
25th Jan 2008, 06:58
Hmm, here they are:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/5boys.jpg

Rather be Gardening
25th Jan 2008, 08:55
'The 5 pillars are the building blocks to a successful team. What you must understand is that the 5 pillars:confused: are the foundations that convert a team to an organization transforming powerhouse:8. As a leader who has a greater awareness of the psychology of leadership:uhoh: and the emotional atmosphere it creates:sad:, you can cultivate environments that cause you:) and others to be more effective and fulfilled in your work and life:(. If you learn the foundations to Ascend and Transform:{ as a Leader then You will have learned the foundations to build transformational teams to create change;), and you will have established a Leadership Identity:} to bring it together'.

Does it stop people kicking sand into your face on the beach as well?

F34NZ
25th Jan 2008, 13:09
BEagle, did they always use spectacularly ugly kids to advertise chocolate in your day or was this the great advertising campaign that almost sank Fry's ?

Green Bottle 2, you should know by now that you lean the essentials and max the bull****. Stand in a corner and recite your Station's diversity policies a thousand times.