PDA

View Full Version : Royal Navy Jaguar Pilots

Bob Viking
24th Jan 2008, 14:22
Ladies and Gents,
Can anybody here help out with a quick question?
Were there ever any RN Jag pilots? I don't have the luxury of looking at the rogues gallery in the sim building any more to find out!
Cheers
BV:)

Gainesy
24th Jan 2008, 14:41
Bob, do you mean on exchange tour or ex-RN?

Bob Viking
24th Jan 2008, 14:48
Mainly if there was ever a guy flying Jags in a Navy uniform. I don't recall ever seeing one in the pictures.
BV

Gainesy
24th Jan 2008, 15:53
Ah right, just that "PV"* was ex-RN Sea Vixens but then went light blue.
*Sqn Ldr Peter Lloyd, 54(F).

jonesthepilot
24th Jan 2008, 19:43
i could be wrong but peeves was mr jag and like so many of his mates it killed him. i'd love to stand corrected.

LOMCEVAK
24th Jan 2008, 20:37
Over the years quite a few of the RN test pilots at Boscombe Down have been checked out in the Jaguar and at least one has been the project pilot for it. One was still current when it went out of service there last month. I can come up with some names if you wish but it probably will not be an exhaustive list.

newt
25th Jan 2008, 07:32
I seem to recall the Jaguar was much too difficult for RN pilots. Or am I just stirring again!!

peterperfect
25th Jan 2008, 08:43
There's bound to be a few also seconded/transferred to Oman/India/Ecuador etc. Lt Martin Hale's name comes to mind, or did he fly Hunters with the Omanis ?

In that case its the final trip by the Black Stig (RIP) .....?

coat got. pp

Bob Viking
25th Jan 2008, 09:42
Cheers for your replies so far. It was just a question that came up at work the other day. It was mainly directed at whether there were ever any Navy guys serving on a front line Jag squadron.
I don't recall there being any, but would be interested to know.
Besides, as Newt has already alluded to, it could make for some great anti-Navy banter!
BV;)

Gainesy
25th Jan 2008, 10:19
Jonesy, unfortunately you are correct, CFIT in sea fog, St Abbs Head.

Great bloke, sadly missed.

Gericault
25th Jan 2008, 10:56
Having had a pretty close association with the OCU and the force, I'm certain there were no operational UK RN officers flying the jet. There have been a number of TPs and, of cse, a number of foreign exchange officers. Probably because these sort of exchange tours would have meant a Jag Mate having to learn to fly the Hover Jet, and that might have shattered a few myths.....:E

Bob Viking
25th Jan 2008, 11:04
What myth would that be?
That even your grandmother could fly a Harrier!
After all, how hard can it be!
BV:E:}

Gainesy
25th Jan 2008, 11:17
Hi mate, you back from the s***pit?

Must get that OLF vid onto DVD sometime.:E

Safeware
26th Jan 2008, 20:02
BV,

After all, how hard can it be! Obviously not that hard as they've even let an F3 mate do it on SHAR :)

sw