PDA

View Full Version : Furthering your Education/Professional Development

Blueskyrich
24th Jan 2008, 14:02
Afternoon all,

So, you’ve got that CPL/IR and you’ve done the MCC. You’ve joined the Northern Rock-esque queue to get employed and time ticks by. Apart from staying current, staying up-to-date with industry and keeping on top of the letters/networking, what else can be done in terms of professional development and further learning?

For instance, I’ve found quite big gap since finishing my ground-school. That initially was taken up with the rest of my training. However, that was completed and now I’m back to that normal Monday-Friday routine. That, in itself, doesn’t bother me – I knew what was coming once I finished the MCC and am more than prepared for the long-haul (or, for long-haul if you are reading Mr Walsh or Sir Richard ;) ). I am keen to continue learning and add qualifications/education to my CV – basically, I don’t want to stop still.

For a long time, I’ve wanted to undertake a Msc in Air Transport Management. As some may know, that isn’t an option for a newly-qualified pilot as 2 years of industry experience is usually required, and even if you can persuade them to let you on the course, there is the small matter of £8000 to find to pay for it. Like most in this position, I’ve barely got £8 never mind £8000, and even if I did, I would be using it in a far more direct way in getting that break!

So, my question really is, what other courses/qualification/education (theory based – I would go for a FI rating, but can’t afford the time-off or course expense right now) could I look at in order to increase my knowledge and ‘sale-ability’ in terms of getting a flying job? Any suggestions or previous experience would be gratefully received!

Many thanks,
Bluesky

Blueskyrich
27th Jan 2008, 12:55
Ah go on, go on, go on, go on! You know you want to reply :p

One thing I did forget to add to the original post, is that I was interested in taking up a new language (probably Spanish), but if someone could suggest something else that would help my career take off (pardon the pun), I would be very open to new ideas.

Ta muchly,

Bluesky