PDA

View Full Version : Conversion of ATPL License to JAA/JAR from New Zealand

PA31 pilot
24th Jan 2008, 08:54
Hi,

Has anyone converted or know what is involved in converting a New Zealand ATPL CAA License to JAR/JAA?

Are there any Back Doors in Europe?
I get the idea on prune that spain might be an easier way to go?

I have 3000hrs with 2000hrs turbine, and no time on A/C over 30t.

I'm hoping for an easy way to convert with out flying a piston or sitting in a classroom for 6 months.

Any help or comments would be much appreciated.

PA31

scherzo
24th Jan 2008, 12:01
I'm afraid you will have to sit JAA ATPL written exams. There might be some allowance at the discretion of a ground training provider for reduced study hours, but the exams will have to be passed.

You will then have to pass the JAA CPL Skills Test. Training for this is at the discretion of the trainer. If you are familiar/current on a complex single this may required 2-3 hours training. Quite a few people with FAA licences require almost as much as those of have done nothing.

There should be no diffs for training in Spain - JAA equal to all men etc etc, but that doesn't mean much with euro-things.

We have had people who could have converted ICAO licences in other countries but have chosen the UK because they perceive training to be better and therefore job prospects too.

IR would require min 15 hours training plus test!

Good luck

scherzo
24th Jan 2008, 12:07
Ah, just re-read you have ATPL. All info can be found in LASORS (search google its available on line. Section G1.5 gives info on ATPL conversion. Section D gives info on CPL conversion.

You will have to sit exams, but training is at discretion of provider.

mr bojangles
25th Jan 2008, 13:26
I have the same issue, but total hours is 3000hrs with over 2000hrs on the B737-200 and all the -300-400-500 and was wondering if I will be allowed to take the course without going to a provider, but doing it privately on my own.

Its all so confusing when your far away from europe and flying the line :ugh: with no time to make enquiries

FlyingIsFun
25th Jan 2008, 13:48
To enter the JAA theory exams you have to have your application endorsed and submitted by an official groundschool provider.... You can sign up and do distance learning, but you will still have to sign up (ie pay) and they will require you to complete some amount of classroom time prior to the exams, I believe some schools are discretionary about the amount of time required..

FIF

PA31 pilot
7th Feb 2008, 19:42
Thanks,

I might put it into the too hard basket for now! hopefully it might all change in the near future given they are still in the transitional phase and the ensuing pilot shortage.

Won't hold my breath though..:ooh:

Alex Whittingham
7th Feb 2008, 20:34
if you have an ICAO ATPL and more than 1500 hours in two pilot operation you are exempt approved training, you can study on your own, how you wish, and enter yourself for the exams. You don't need an approved groundschool. The two pilot time has to be in an aircraft the JAA would certify as two pilot, i.e. not a King Air.