PDA

View Full Version : Checklists and Maps & Charts

BUSH PILOT
24th Jan 2008, 06:13
Hi all, I'm currently training for my CPL in Australia and have flown with a few different instructors now who each have their own different ways of doing things, however I wanted to hear some other peoples opinions on checklists and maps. I have been taught to use checklists for all the things you day to day, and to memorise the ones you need once in a life time, ie EFATO etc, however I've just had another instructor say you should memorise all your checks, any opinions on what is considered better practice.

Also, I've been taught to flight plan thoroughly before hand, so there is almost no need for a map, except for the occasional confirmation of position, especially around CTA, and of course when you have to divert somewhere, however more recently I've also been told check track, position, ground speed, etc directly from the map, and to get all frequencies for NDBs VORs CTAF's Towers etc from Maps and ERSA (the Australian 'dictionary' of airports). Basically to rely on maps and charts much more than the flight plan. Any opinions on this also greatly appreciated. Obviously everyone will have their different ways, however just interested to see if one way is preferred to another.

Thanks, Bush Pilot

ab33t
24th Jan 2008, 08:49
Even when Im flying IFR I keep track on a VFR chart, I need to know that Im on track and where I can go in case of emergency. You need to cross check your plan with your map at all times , how the heck do you know when you have arrived , crossed, missed a check point? Emergency Items need to be memorised, if you want to memorise the whole check list by all means , why would you want to it right there and ensures you have done them while you have sufficient time. Frequencies that are written down can be transcribed incorrectly , if the map is current use the map if the frequencies are correct. In the states the frequencies are not on the map and you cannot keep going to the airport directory so those may need to be written down.