24th Jan 2008, 00:24
Hi, does anyone know of a Q and A database, online, for PPL H level:

Helicopter PoF
Helicopter Flight Performance and Planning

I've searched, but without success.

Thanks, Sam.

Whirlygig
24th Jan 2008, 07:41
No, I don't know of one for those subjects although Airquiz.com is good for the fixed wing stuff.

This book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Questions-Answers-Private-Licence-Manuals/dp/1840373067) has helicopter specific questions and personally I preferred it over the infamous PPL Confuser. From what I remember, I never found any practice papers for Flight Planning paper and I scraped a pass by winging it with common sense. If you do that paper last, the general knowledge you'll have picked up from your flying should get you through.

Cheers

Whirls

jhiles
24th Jan 2008, 18:04
I just got a copy of 'Pooleys Helicopter Question Bank - Volume 3' from flightstore.

It says that the questions are aimed at CPL/ATPL level, but are also of use to PPL(H) students and it seems to go into far more depth than you'll need for the private licence. Best I could find though for PoF.

Jesse

Milky Milky
24th Jan 2008, 21:10
Hi Sam
I don't Know of an online solution to your problems but as an instructor I sympathise with your situation.
The Pooleys Helicopter P of F book does have some errors but does more good than harm when trying to come to terms with these helicopter specific exams. Don't get me wrong, but Wagtondonks book is great, a bit too involved and daunting for PPL. It has its Merits but for a non technical minded student it can be scary.
HTH

Tony Chambers
25th Jan 2008, 19:35
I am working on an online ppl H ground school and other related topics. I have the platform all ready and waiting just looking for an instructor to build the online course.
So if any UK instructors want an opportunity just message me here for my email address and a chat.

Tony

borjaracing
29th Jan 2008, 09:22
Try www.aviationexam.com (http://www.aviationexam.com)

They have some 10 free questions every day, and if you pay, you get the whole lot of the JAA questions/answers in all 14 subjects

gusmagoo
29th Jan 2008, 09:37
Having just sat the last of these exams (PPLH) i can recommend reading (and more importantly), understanding, W.J.Wagtendonk's book called "Principles of Helicopter Flight"
I got mine on ebay for £8 but you can buy it new from loads of inet shops.
Recommended by my heli school.
I can only remember the last two papers i sat having quite a few heli related questions in, they were Flight Perfomance and planning and Aircraft gen/tech. (ok, POF) Helped me pass for sure...
I also used this site.
http://www.airquiz.com/
£20 but worth every penny. (NB. no heli specific questions though) if you do use this site better to print them off then you can research the ones you get wrong!

Flight test Thursday!!!! :eek: (weather permitting of course)

clinique_happy
29th Dec 2012, 13:48
Any one know of any apps or websites to help with the ppl h exams

Book advice also appreciated

elliotblock
30th Dec 2012, 16:55
ASA Prepware is pretty fantastic. The PPL comes with fixed and rotorcraft question banks and you just pick which one you want to use when you start the questioning. When I bought it, it was 10 bucks.

For the oral, I got the PPLH version of RideReady. It was a great help. It comes with A TON of questions and they are divided into subjects for when you want to study. When you are ready to quiz, it pulls from random subjects. It takes the work out of making flash cards. It was either 30 or 40 bucks.

Both apps are worth it and they work on both the iPhone and iPad.

EB

Helinut
30th Dec 2012, 20:37
Sam,

Which PPL(H) are you doing? FAA EASA/JAA? It makes a difference.

clinique_happy
30th Dec 2012, 20:58
Think it is JAA or whichever one we commonly do in England

paco
31st Dec 2012, 08:14
PPL Stuff? Check out big books ad sometimes on the right. Or PM me for details.

Phil