PDA

View Full Version : Polish CASA-295 crash

ARRAKIS
23rd Jan 2008, 18:43
Polish CASA-295M from the 13th Transport Squadron crashed about an hour ago near Stettin when aproaching landing. Probably they were 10 people on board, including the crew. It is to early for any information about the cause, and the fate of the crew and the pax, but it's not looking good.:(

Arrakis

M609
23rd Jan 2008, 23:11
Very sad news indeed. :(

Report in media says the pax included some high ranking officers returning from a flight safety conference in Warsaw.

(Same TV channel states that the aircraft crashed outside the runway at Mirosławiec.
Given their accuracy in aviation matters, that can definatly mean at any stage of the approach as well.)

RIP

schwarzes_dreizehn
24th Jan 2008, 02:44
Greetings

according to polish news tv, "tvn24", 19 to 20 people were onboard. The crash took place near Miroslawiec military airport, not Stettin, while approaching the landing strip, some 800 away from it. According to eyewitnesses aircraft crashed falling from some 200 meters, grazing the trees. Whether engines were working or not is yet unspecified.
To this moment only 7 people are reported dead, even though " the fire at the place of crash was not severe enough in order to have it extinguished within minutes" ( local fire department spokesman ). According to army officials, some high ranked airforce officers were onboard.
I found some interesting info about CASA here: http://casacrash.*************/ please take a look at the info with polish national symbol next to it, a white eagle on red background. Interesting read, I sense a huge scandal in the air.
Kind regards,
Schwarzes_Dreizehn

ARRAKIS
24th Jan 2008, 06:34
They were returning from the annual Flying Safety Conference. No official informations, as the Polish MOD wants to inform first the famillies, but, to my knowledge, all pax were pilots, some of them squadron or air base COs, at least one general, commanding the 1st Air Force Tactical Brigade.
According to the last official Air Force information they were 4 crew members and 16 pax. No chance for any survivors.
New machine. Entered service in 2007 (1st August). 393 hours of flight.
Very sad day. :(

Arrakis

PS. That's right, they were approaching the Miroslawiec air base runway. Crashed in the woods near the airfield. The air base CO was one of the pax.

Winco
24th Jan 2008, 06:56
Dreadfully sad news, and my thoughts to the families and friends of those lost.
I had the great pleasure of working and flying with the Polish Air Force - just a great bunch of characters, great aviators and very fine people. RIP Chaps

The Winco

ARRAKIS
24th Jan 2008, 09:45
Official list of losses published by the PAF.
All 9 remaining CASA-295M have been grounded.
To my knowledge, it was the first ever crash of this type of plane.

Arrakis