PDA

View Full Version : Name the best Boozer

OCCWMF
23rd Jan 2008, 12:44
Ladies and Gents,

In your inestimable experience as military travellers around the world, based on whatever criteria you like:

Name the greatest bars/pubs/iilicit gin joints/clubs that you have been to and tell us why. Hopefully future readers can search for their destination and get some good reccomendations....

Starter for 10 -

Where: Cactus Moon, Tucson, AZ, Wednesday nights.

Why: All the girls compete for votes to win cash by schmoozing the guys - and they have a hat shop in the club.:ok:

Backwards PLT
23rd Jan 2008, 12:54
Yeah! Let's all post on an open forum where you can find lots of military guys relaxing and drinking. It should raise the various bars profits, with all the journos and terrorists hanging out there (although presumably al qaeda don't booze!)

DANGER Will Robinson DANGER

guidedweapons
23rd Jan 2008, 12:58
Camp Allegro, Curacao. A bit like Butlins but each "Chalet" contains a whore, got a good bar too. Gets my vote as number 1.

Flamingo Club, Mombasa. Ratio 20 to 1, make sure you bag up!

African Star, Dakar. A little rough but very cheap, "wink, wink!"

For a fight The Pegasus bar, Aldershot, just walk on in and shout at the top of your voice "all Para's are poofs!"

For something a little different "Heaven, London", and for the more discerning gentleman the Hole in the Wall, Gibraltar where you can get sucked dry (by a woman with a willy).

Gladyer Inn, Rosyth a real eye opener, for the love of god do not open your mouth!

TheBeeKeeper
23rd Jan 2008, 13:25
For all those that attend courses at CAM, RAF Henlow, you really must head down to the 'Engineers Arms'.

20 different Real Ales every week! 10 on tap at any one time!

TBK

And if you don't drink ale, as the Hobgoblin Brewery proudly advertises 'What's the matter Lagerboy, afraid you might taste something?'

OCCWMF
23rd Jan 2008, 13:49
If you're allowed back it can't have been that good a night - no security risk:}

talk_shy_tall_knight
23rd Jan 2008, 13:55
TBK

It's all about opinions, here's a few random ones plucked from a BBC debate on real ale;

"A warm pint of smelly brown bitter can never compete with the crisp clean refreshing taste of an ice-cold continental lager. No amount of advertising will persuade people without beards otherwise. "
Tom, England

"As a bearded middle-aged man, I'll thank Camra to keep its hands off my image. However, I'm all for as many people as possible being introduced to the variety and quality of British ales of all kinds. If that involves near-naked models on posters, I guess we'll just have to live with them. "
Simon Williams, UK

"Speaking as a veteran barman, I can state categorically that real ale cannot EVER be 'made sexy'. The reason being that while bitter drinkers tend to be old and/or ugly, real ale drinkers tend to be inconceivably ugly, smelly, officious and boring to boot. "
Graham Hughes, Liverpool, UK

"Pure and simply ale tastes really bad and lager tastes really good, oh and my dad drinks ale and I don't want to look like him! "
Greig, UK

"Sorry, but real ale will never become sexy as long as it is warm, flat, has bits floating in it and goes by names like 'Old mans underpants'"
Darren UK

"It's all very well Camra trying to make beer drinking sexy, and good luck to it. I love a pint of Old Nadger's Footroot as much as any man, and the fight against fizz needs imagination and fervour. But the awful truth is easy to find out. Go to the Great British Beer Festival, and you'll find that the old cliched pot-bellied, obscure folk band T-shirted beardie afloat on his own beer farts is still a force to be reckoned with. Cheers! "
Rupert Goodwins, UK

Sorry, thread creep.

billynospares
23rd Jan 2008, 13:57
The Split crow in Halifax 75 cents a beer for an hour and all female pub crawls

airborne_artist
23rd Jan 2008, 14:09
The back bar of The Beehive, Helston has some memories :E

Those with a Service connection might like to join The Artists Rifles Club (http://www.artistsrifles.com/) at Bisley. An excellent bar, good food, and a large function room, as well as B&B.

Lord-Loverocket
23rd Jan 2008, 14:17
It has to be Florida 2000s in Nairobi, ratio about 50 to 1. Have to double bag at this little beauty.

Took a young army private in there and his eyes almost popped out, he went in a boy came out a man.

ExALM
23rd Jan 2008, 14:21
Tropicana’s in Minneapolis.
All girls wear bikinis, itsy bitsy ones, and dance on the bars for no reason, which they actively encourage you to do to!!
There is a bucking bull in the bar and a dentists chair, which they tip you back in, ask you what spirit you want and pour it down a channel in a very large block of ice into your gob, spin you several times in the chair and lob you out (invariably onto the floor or a cutie!).

Now that is a top place to go. Ahhhh got me all nostalgic now!

LittleMo
23rd Jan 2008, 14:25
The Jolly Roger in Johannesburg, South Africa on a Sunday night. Half price pizza awesome jukebox, garuanteed 4 fights at least and plenty of young student lasses from the surrounds to entertain oneself...:}

ArthurR
23rd Jan 2008, 14:31
Families Club, Dharan, Saudi Arabia, Thursday night, if its still in existance.
:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:, Bang your head against the wall night. :E

Whirlygig
23rd Jan 2008, 14:39
Current favourite bar to prop up is Darby's in Swanton Morley - best pint of Broadside (apart from Sole Bay!!) in East Anglia, a well inside the pub, tractor seats for ...er... seats and a huge fire!

I think real ale's sexy! And I never trust a man who drinks lager! Have yet to be proved wrong!

Cheers

Whirls

Gainesy
23rd Jan 2008, 15:00
Silver's, Moscow. Count which Mafia bloke has the most or best tooled-up bodyguards.:uhoh:

Tractor seats? Only in East Angular, Bless.:)

PS What's that hotel/pub in Helston with a well in the bar floor, covered with armoured glass?

lastmanstanding
23rd Jan 2008, 15:24
HELLLLLP!
Copacabana Beach, Rio De .............;)

anotherthing
23rd Jan 2008, 15:28
A_A

Beehive wasn't bad, but the Blue Anchor for some real characters and a strong pint (Spingo ISTR - been a few years now) couldn't be beaten!!

Alber Ratman
23rd Jan 2008, 15:54
"Toucan Bar" BAS.

Exclusive membership only :E

Nights tend to start with a bang.:rolleyes:
---------------------------------

Truthfully, OCCWMF's choice is not a bad one.:O

Good Mickey
23rd Jan 2008, 16:43
Lower Deck - Halifax
Sundance - St Johns
Step Inn - Limassol
Beach Bar - Kuala Lumpur
Fados - Atlanta
Desert Club - Seeley
Jimmy Loves - San Diego
Voodoo Lounge - Las Vegas
Mickeys - Ridgecrest
Towers - Singapore
Drink - Minneapolis
Planters - Bucharest
Cub Med - Cape Town

althenick
23rd Jan 2008, 16:45
Althenick's very own "Bermuda Triangle" (Coz he gets lost between all 3)

All in Lossie

Steamboat - Ok on Sat Night especially if the band "2 FN Badd" are playing
Harbour bar - Sh1t hole but the cracks good and isn't frequented by Crabs
RNA on Commerce Street - Not many Ex Fish heads but a nice quiet place for a drink.

I like the Clifton as well but it's like a bl00dy crab mess - i mean what the hell is all that about? all they do is talk about there work. Why not just stay on camp and drink there.

BTW - i'm not getting at the crabs as I feel the same way about the other 2 services. :ok:

Pontius Navigator
23rd Jan 2008, 16:47
It has to be Florida 2000s in Nairobi, ratio about 50 to 1. Have to double bag at this little beauty.

Took a young army private in there and his eyes almost popped out, he went in a boy came out a man.

Trouble is I can't remember the names. Truth be it known I can't remember.

Did it have an entrance like a cinema, huge hall with bar at far end, outside area on the left with tables and parasols? If it did, I have never been there. The toilets were on the opposite side :)

Hilife
23rd Jan 2008, 16:55
Without the wife;)

• Chez Paré in Montréal - A world apart from the hideous strippers that were thrust upon us at Odiham.

With the wife and kids:ouch:

• The Last Castle, Cyprus - Hot sunshine, great sea views and an abundance of barbecued meats and cheap wine - Not falling asleep at the wheel on the way home can be a little tricky mind you.

With fishing rod:ok:

• The Mayfly on the river Test in Hampshire. No apologies for the owners and the food, but sit down with a pint of ale and enjoy, as the location by the river is stunning.

P.S. - Ross who?

ratchetspanner
23rd Jan 2008, 16:58
'Help' in Rio is a sight to behold on a 'South Change'. You certainly need HELP after a few sherberts there!!!:ok:

francophile69
23rd Jan 2008, 17:03
3)Texas bar-Lisbon
2)House of Rebecca's-Acapulco

and the clear winner

1)Huba Huba club-Honolulu, apparently there's a place called Pearl Harbour nearby, unfortunately never made it.....

Fly380
23rd Jan 2008, 17:12
• Chez Paré in Montréal - A world apart from the hideous strippers that were thrust upon us at Odiham.

Now that was a class place. Is the no neck bouncer that charged $2 to show you to a seat still there? I guess it must be $5 now.:rolleyes:

No one been to Bangkok?:mad:

boeingcrap
23rd Jan 2008, 17:21
Cafe Havana & LA Cafe - Manila
Sportsmans Bar - Jakarta

The Gorilla
23rd Jan 2008, 17:36
Tilleys bar
The Bodega bar

Both in Newcastle! :)

See www.theburglarsdog.co.uk

TG

Fg Off Max Stout
23rd Jan 2008, 17:43
To avoid beadwindowing as suggested in post 2, a few of my preferred venues behind the wire:

The Camel's Toe, Basrah Air Station - The atmosphere, architecture, workmanship of those who built it, the daily hours of sunshine. Nothing quite like a long day of flying in 50C, occasionally getting shot at, and then coming back for an ice cold with the rest of the Flt while the mortars go off around you.

The Goose, MPA, FI. Much like the Droop Stop at Odi, it's closed more often than it's open due to riotous behaviour. Awesome fun. Some horrible, horrible things have happened in there.

The cage at ASI. A nice tropical breakfast 6 pack. Always a pleasurable experience. Offrs' & Sgts' Mess bar on ASI was a spectacular location.

Bentley Priory OM. A drink on the balcony on a summer afternoon before hitting London. Halton House also good for the stately home experience.

Unfortunately the powers that be have achieved 'morale savings' at all these venues.

I can personally vouch for Halifax, Nova Scotia as one of the best party towns in the world. The Split Crow was a particular highlight.

As for the worst - The Waterwitch, Odiham. The only reason I'd go back there would be to set fire to the place.

Emerson Cahooners
23rd Jan 2008, 18:12
The Lazy Lizard down on the spit, Caye Caulker.

or...

Abracadabra's, between English and Falmouth Harbour, Antigua wearing the colours of the mighty (and original) Team Vortex.

Hilife
23rd Jan 2008, 18:21
Talking of the Windies. I can't ever remember coming down the mountain after a session at Shirley Heights Lookout.

Echo 5
23rd Jan 2008, 18:31
The Last Castle, Cyprus

AKA Viklari................Old Savvas was still going strong when I saw him last June. Less a bar.....more an experience :)

2Planks
23rd Jan 2008, 18:35
Ambiorix in Leuven (biggest uni town in the low countries). Never closed and permanent dancing on tables whilst drinking unfeasably strong Belgian wallop.

Eye off the ball
23rd Jan 2008, 18:43
The Great Alaskan Bush Company - Anchorage.

When I heard about it I wondered for a fleeting moment whether it was a local flying club. Happily, it was much much better!!!

kwachon
23rd Jan 2008, 18:48
Harry's Pub Cairo, they say Stella Artois is made from donkey piss, but Egyption Stella is brewed with the waters from the Nile, guess 5 million egyptions just pissed in my beer, tastes good though!! :}:}

obgc
23rd Jan 2008, 18:50
How come no-one has mentioned the Volcano Club at Asi yet?
Cocktails are spectacular or at least they were..... :}

Green Flash
23rd Jan 2008, 19:13
The Scandinavian bar at Kabul (I think it's real name was Valhalla or something). It was built by the predominantly Scandic Fire Service out of a Noggy Army Hospital tent. Outside - tent. Inside - anywhere but Afg, even without the aid of Carlsberg. Ferkin' BRILLIANT place. But not when they got out the rotting Shark! :eek::yuk::yuk::yuk:

buoy15
23rd Jan 2008, 19:46
The Best Boozer surely must be 'Beery Wier' a Navigator of Maritime - could sup 17 pints in the scruffs bar and not slurr a word - mind you, he was prone to fall off his bike into the rose beds on the way home - How are you Iain?

12 twists per inch
23rd Jan 2008, 19:54
The French Maid in Calgary - Flesh, good grub and reasonably priced ale.

Florida 2000 and Help are for the brave:O

baffy boy
23rd Jan 2008, 20:53
Ionic Bar Elgin

FE Hoppy
23rd Jan 2008, 21:27
Cowboys in Calgary

minigundiplomat
23rd Jan 2008, 21:44
The Orient - Sydney
Fat Tuesdays - Austin, Texas
Henry's - Covent Garden
Walkabout - Newquay (seasonal)
The Londoner - Kitzbhuel
Waynes Bar - Nice
Music Cafe - Trogir
The Globe - Port Stanley (draught lager even if it is islehoffer)
Warblers? - Bahrain

kokpit
23rd Jan 2008, 21:49
Camp Allegro, Curacao. A bit like Butlins but each "Chalet" contains a whore, got a good bar too. Gets my vote as number 1.

Bloody hell, Campo! Was last there in the late 70's, for a beer of course, is it still going!!??

Guards at the turnstiles had baseball bats if I remember correctly, and a fair maiden insisted on prooving her wares weren't formica like the table tops. :cool:

Ah the mamories...............

Edit: That's reminded me of Mon Cherie's (Berlin), possibly not the best for drinks, but a hoot when your mate gets prematurely evicted from the bath :ok:

Lima Juliet
23rd Jan 2008, 21:54
Ambiorix - Leuven (Home of Stella, a Uni full of girls and getting a blowie in a growbag)

Tommy Rockers - Las Vegas (Living legend live music and plenty of birds)

Moose Creek Lodge - Eilson, AK (Peelers, pool and plenty of pop!)

Kansas City Barbeque - San Diego, CA (Cheap booze every time a train goes past and a must for Top Gun fans - Great Balls of Fire, aaha! (or is it Allan Partridge fans?)).

Any bar in Aalborg - ('Nuff said..)

The Goose - MPA (because it upsets the rest of MPA!)

The Pilots' Pal Bar - Biggin Hill (Home of the pimp formerly known as Joe De-Merchante)

Camelots - Doncaster (Home of the easy)

Kings Arms - York (For ale drinking and getting flooded)

The Campanile - Aviano (home of fine wine, parma ham and nice scenery)

Flahertys - Seville (great place to meet Spanish birds who want to speak English)

Treardur Bay Hotel - Anglesey (Just kidding...anything near Valley is a pooh-hole!)

Muscat Ramada - Oman (for the accomodating hosties:E)

That all said, my very favourite is the Voodoo Lounge in Vegas.

boeingcrap
23rd Jan 2008, 21:54
Bodega Bar - Casablanca

minigundiplomat
23rd Jan 2008, 22:06
Now now the Octagon used to be a good laugh.

Only if you think your sister's a looker. There again, I can see why you would like it

Lima Juliet
23rd Jan 2008, 22:15
The Octagon? I only remember the Octapig? Is that the same place? ;)

Minigun, good banter me old...:ok:

Seaking93
23rd Jan 2008, 22:26
PS What's that hotel/pub in Helston with a well in the bar floor, covered with armoured glass?

The Angel Hotel, many happy memories of that place plus a few sad ones including the night the owner was shot dead in the bar

right chopper
23rd Jan 2008, 22:34
The Jad Mahal in Marrakech....simply brilliant.

BEagle
23rd Jan 2008, 23:03
Moose McGillycuddys Pub & Cafe, Waikiki.

City Gem, Sliema.

bugg smasher
24th Jan 2008, 05:47
Saudi City, Jeddah, gotta have an intro tho...

bwfg3
24th Jan 2008, 06:11
Exotic - Outrigger reef on Waikiki

Party - Chena Pump House, Fairbanks Alaska...with outdoor golf range ( shot over river at target)

Boozer- Friday night in the 5 bells in Wooty B with the Johnson/Askey axis. Curry in the DEDAR to follow. :}

27mm
24th Jan 2008, 06:18
The 21 Club, Rowdha Compound, Dhahran - sadly, no longer with us.
The Pig & Tape, Deci - where the floor was sticky enough to stop you falling over, even with a large amount of list.
The Wig & Mitre, Steep Hill, Lincoln - top nosh and grape juice

Dominoe
24th Jan 2008, 06:54
The Platinum Club, Kingston, Jamaica.

Air Conditioned, cheaper Red Stripe then the Hilton, loud rock music and for some strange reason the ladies from St.Petersburg get naked.

Anybody else been on Red Stripe?

Top Right
24th Jan 2008, 07:39
Kokpit - thanks for the memory refresh, yes Mon Cherie's in Berlin!

British Club in Bahrain with BLTs and fine drinks next to the pool in-between squash and tennis breaks - a fine break away from Khobar Towers.

Another vote for Volcano Club, ASI.

Irish Bar & Galatasaray Bar, Sarajevo.

Camelot, Georgetown, Washington DC.

CleartoFire
24th Jan 2008, 07:44
Many mentions of Helston but nobody mentioned the best: Lady Street. Surely a competitor for prosecution under the trades descriptions act! (sadly now closed).

Abroad; the Duck Inn, Virginia Beach, watching the sun go down over the water while spending duck bucks teaching the Tomcat and hornet drivers how to drink alcohol properly.

Gainesy
24th Jan 2008, 07:49
SK93,

Thank you, ISTR that the owner when I was there (waaay back, about 1980) was a retired RN CPO Diver, same one?

Another one, the Bombay Bicycle Club, about a mile from the McDonnell-Douglas factory at St Louis airport, especially Friday happy hour. Wall-to-wall McD totty.

Was it Sloppy Joe's just down the road from NAS Key West? Heard it closed/burnt down or something.

Chris Griffin
24th Jan 2008, 08:09
San Diego - Barefoot Bar or McP's on wed
Honolulu - Dukes (after 2200) Mall bar at Ala Moana
Anchorage - ABC club (oh my word)
Bahrain - Dip brunch followed by fiddlers then Baisin towers or JJ's + BJ's
St Johns - all of them - never had a bad night
Halifax - split crow then upstairs downstairs
El Paso - the monkey wrench
Vegas - Ghost bar or rum junction - maybe better than voodoo

Spunky Monkey
24th Jan 2008, 08:29
THE OTTER'S POCKET - Stamford
Probably the best named pub in the world...
Pity the landlord is banned from these hallowed pages:p

Loopdeloop
24th Jan 2008, 08:30
The Buck at Rufforth

......Beer, Birds and Baby oil, a perfect concoction for a Linton or Church Fenton trainee!
I've not been there for a while though and don't even know if it's still there.

GPMG
24th Jan 2008, 08:47
The Black Angus Bar - Puerto Rico. Only those that have visited will know why.

Left hand bar nearest the road on the Pier in Pattaya - More Beer please Mama san

Hammerheads - Virginia Beach Great music, girls and the best Buffalo wings (Nagasaki Sauce).

Raffles - Singapore

The Bar on the corner - Kings Cross, Sydney Can't remember a thing so it was probably good

PlasticCabDriver
24th Jan 2008, 08:53
For a det bar, the Hazbar, Camp Rudolph, Pristina Airfield, 1999 - 2001ish. 2 can rule? No holding more than 2 cans at any one time more like.

6Z3
24th Jan 2008, 08:55
Ah.... The Lady Street Club after closing time....rather like squeezing a whole squadron into a mini. ....and, the Back Back Bar of the Beehive with Samantha and her mate...now that's also like trying to get a squadron and a snake into a mini.

Yeller_Gait
24th Jan 2008, 09:51
In oder of my discovering

1 Camelots in Doncaster, always a good start to a Thursday night out.

2 The Brass Nut, Keflavik. The best way of wasting a winters evening in Iceland.

3 My Apartments in Halifax, followed by a stagger up the hill to the Princess nightclub at the end of the evening. Great sirloin tips in a restaurant the following lunchtime, the name of which temporarily escapes me.

4 The Voodoo Lounge and a witch doctor cocktail. Dancing girls, good bands and a great view from the terrace.

Y_G

BEagle
24th Jan 2008, 09:51
Stable bar, The George, Leadenham........:E

Gainesy
24th Jan 2008, 09:55
The best way of wasting a winters evening in Iceland.

I can assure you, it isn't.:E:)

DON T
24th Jan 2008, 10:52
Can anyone tell me what the Red Lips Bar in Kowloon and the Champagne Ballroom in Singapore were like, I can't remember.

kwachon
24th Jan 2008, 11:24
Anybody remember the Officers Mess, Salalah circa 1972?. Now that was a bar...:E

bwfg3
24th Jan 2008, 11:44
70 hits in less than 24 hours just shows what a bunch of uncouth boozers you all are. Right, I'm off to the Rovers Return, Aqaba now to kick off the weekend in style.. Chin Chin :E

Bob Viking
24th Jan 2008, 11:53
On home soil, it has to be the Belgian Monk, Norwich.

For mainland Europe my vote is a bar in Leuven (not the one already mentioned) - OCCWMF help me out. The one where we drank our body weight in Leffe?!

Further afield would have to be Cactus Moon or the other one in Tucson (good on a Sunday night) whose name I can't remember! I'm having a bad day, memory wise!

Some good bars in Abu Dhabi, but sadly I also can't remember the names of those!

Sorry, not much use today!
BV:(

mustflywillfly
24th Jan 2008, 12:02
Monkey Bar - Saigon. The charming young ladies are sooo friendly if you buy them a bottle of bud.

The pub with no name - Hampshire. Big open fire, many Real Ales.

African Star - Dakkar, Senegal. Cheap, Bizarre, Wonderous !

Any pub in Hong Kongers where they serve a flaming lamborghini

The London Pub - Grenoble, France. Watching the French get rat arsed on ale is most amusing

The Gardens - Yeovil. BEFORE it became Le Jardin. Guaranteed pull (varying degrees of beauty from back end of a cow - Sienna Miller esque, I found the girls got much, much better looking as the evenings progressed. Very strange that.)

Bar Buddha - Ibiza. Ahhhh the sunsets, the music, the girls, the booze.

The Cocked Hat - Gosport. Only Joking

teeteringhead
24th Jan 2008, 12:12
Anybody remember the Officers Mess, Salalah circa 1972?. Now that was a bar... .... but it could be expensive ....

....I know a couple of blokes who went to a patio party there and it (nearly!) cost them an arm and a leg .........;)

kwachon
24th Jan 2008, 12:19
Teeteringhead

One must remember, we were all volunteers then, I know of what you speak but have to thank the plant box for an outcome that could have been much worse.

However, speaking of expensive, a night with messrs Duncan and Best is hard to beat...

KW :E

Yeller_Gait
24th Jan 2008, 12:35
Quote:
The best way of wasting a winters evening in Iceland.
I can assure you, it isn't.:E:)

Ok, a winters evening in Keflavik.

Best pubs.

The Fun Pub in Chania, Crete.

Y_G

TMJ
24th Jan 2008, 12:52
On home soil, it has to be the Belgian Monk, Norwich.

Nah, I second the earlier nomination of the Engineers' Arms in Henlow for that honour. Not only does it have up to 20 ales and ciders on at any given time, it also has a cracking beer festival where that range is dramatically extended...

FAN BLADE
24th Jan 2008, 13:40
For those of you going into Warton or Blackpool on a course or a night-stop, it's go to be The Taps on Henry Street in Lytham. Also a great award winning fish and chip shop on the main street to soak up the ale afterwards.

Great hosts (Ian and June) and at least eight real ales on the beer menu.

Bob Viking
24th Jan 2008, 14:07
May I present the case for the defence of the mighty Monk?
With a regular menu of 40-50 different Belgian ales (not just Stella!:yuk:) ranging in strength from 4% up to a 12% monster, there is plenty of choice.
The food isn't too bad either with a respectable choice of moules et frites type food.
It looks pretty nice and is in a handy location (I can't believe that any pub in Henlow can offer such a claim!).
I suppose it depends on your particular tastes in ale though.
BV:ok:

mustflywillfly
24th Jan 2008, 14:18
For those of you going into Warton or Blackpool on a course or a night-stop, it's go to be The Taps on Henry Street in Lytham. Also a great award winning fish and chip shop on the main street to soak up the ale afterwards

Blimey, can't believe the Taps has made it! As someone who spent their formative years in Lytham (explains a lot) and who had a job pulling pints in the Taps as a teen it is great to see it mentioned here.

I remember the Reds had a memorable evening there many moons ago. My sister has never forgotten it..................... :}

Fg Off Max Stout
24th Jan 2008, 14:41
The balcony of the Punch and Judy in Covent Garden a few years ago used to be like an unofficial Officers' Mess on a Friday at about 1700. Everyone piling into London for the weekend would start off there before hitting town. All the RAF in chinos and light blue shirts, the Army in red cords or pink shirts (sometimes both!) and the Navy in leather caps and tight t-shirts.

The balcony is now full of Essex rudeboys so the officer corps starts elsewhere.

FAN BLADE
24th Jan 2008, 15:01
Anybody remember the Turtle Bar at Masirah in the 70"s. Green or Black Carlsberg and Amstell on the beer menu. Tam Hood, one of our crew chiefs marching up to the bar one evening with his bagpipes blasting away during one of our detachments from Akrotiri with the mighty flat iron - a sight not to be missed. Empty beer cans for the Berlin wall, then dive through the cans and out the window the other side. Also the Masirah sailing and fishing club, good for an afternoon beer or two, there and back on the Masirah State Railway after lifting the trucks back on the track due to the rails bowing in several places. Happy days...........:D

downsizer
24th Jan 2008, 15:25
Further afield would have to be Cactus Moon or the other one in Tucson (good on a Sunday night) whose name I can't remember! I'm having a bad day, memory wise!

Would you be referring to the Cowpony? Ladies night on a sunday.

Bob Viking
24th Jan 2008, 15:40
That's the one! How could I forget!
I kept thinking of Cowboys (which everyone knows is a popular Calgary watering hole!).
Cowpony! Sheesh.
BV:rolleyes:

High_Expect
24th Jan 2008, 15:49
I heard a nasty rumour that Cowboys in Calgary had been closed?!? Anyone know? There's also quite a good boozer only a few streets away.... can't remember the name exactly, The Street or Underground. (flight of stairs down to the toilets)

ps... I'm sitting in the Goose writing this. And 'Yes' it does still smell the same. :ok:

johnfairr
24th Jan 2008, 15:50
Bouy 15,

You posted back on page 2 about Beery Wier. I think I shared the East Lodge with him at Lossie in 1975, when I was living out and he was a nav on 8 Sqn AEW. Same bloke?? The Lodge was a two-bedroomed little place on the Leuchars Estate, I think, owned by a relation of the Queen, Ian Tennant (??). All a bit hazey, but the quantities seem to fit! I seem to remember a mate of mine on Jags (Jack Brown??) at the time was SDO when the Queen poppped into Lossie to see her young son Andrew who was at Gordonstoun at the time and whose private bodyguard was sha88ing one of the teachers there. It all got a bit messy, IIRC, but my one undying memory was staggering out of the Lodge to look at a car that didn't belong there to see Mrs Tennant and another lady in the front and this young lad opening the gates. When I recovered my composure, I found that the other lady was QE2 and the lad HRH Andrew.

Got severe bollocking from Landlord (Tennant) next day for being out of uniform when opening gate for their Majs . . . . .

Strange place is Jockistan

jf

goudie
24th Jan 2008, 16:13
Piano Bar, Castle Harbour Hotel, Bermuda. Fitting end to a 'States Trainer'.

Truck2005
24th Jan 2008, 17:49
Hooters, Alberqueque, social girls who like giving you their T shirts.
Crazy Horse 2, Las Vegas, Look but don't touch - hubbies the bouncer.
Puff Puff club, Berlin, You come out smelling of roses.
The TeePee, Limassol, friendly & not touristy.
The old Beefies 1, HK, (not to be mistaken for Beefies 2).
Is the barrel bar still open in Gutersloh?

scorpion63
24th Jan 2008, 18:32
The Wig & Mitre, Lincoln, gentlemans drinking club
The Beastie, Forres, not a gentlemans drinking club!
The Gyp'o Queen, Strait Street Valetta escpecially when the US fleet was in, great entertainment value
The Stables Findhorn (hiding during Tac Eval)
The Nellies Head, St Ives on market days
The Big C Belize, drinks not much good but watching the grunts falling about was priceless.

Alber Ratman
24th Jan 2008, 18:51
Another US bar that springs to mind (as a Canopener engineer)

was

"The Howling Dog", Fox, Alaska.

Talk about Spit and Sawdust (and a particulary good band!)

mike_alpha_papa
24th Jan 2008, 19:19
Britannia Club, Singapore, especially when the fleet was in - Brits or Yanks, even better if both. Best for punchups anyway!

Marine Bar, Gan, especially after we'd seen the 10s away.

More recent - Cooperstown, Phoenix for some good rock bands.

Green Flash
24th Jan 2008, 19:33
Charlies, the Chicken Shack or the Bianca Lancia in Gioia. Or the Belgy Bar or the Via Roma. What was that bar by the railway crossing opposite the Cheese Factory? Anyone remember the cheese police?

StbdD
24th Jan 2008, 19:53
Until it was closed, boxed up and sent to the US National Museum of Naval Aviation where it was recreated....

NAS Cubi Point O'club

Sempre 206
24th Jan 2008, 20:23
Well as someone mentioned Cubi Point:
The WHOLE of the main street in Olongapo City PI - It was one of the main US R&R points in the early 1970s during the Vietnam War - rather like the Wild West must have been

Truck2005
24th Jan 2008, 20:24
How about RedLips and Bottoms up in HK

StbdD
24th Jan 2008, 21:35
Sempre 206

You might be thinking of Gordon and Magsisi Streets, the White Rock Hotel, Smiles in Subic City, Barrio Baretta, etc.

Trivia question ..... once across the **** river bridge what was the name of the major establishment on the right? The one that no matter how good your pre det security was, had all yer names on a big welcome banner?

Oh, and it went on at least until the base closed. Not just a 60s-70s thing.

Seaking93
24th Jan 2008, 21:43
Thank you, ISTR that the owner when I was there (waaay back, about 1980) was a retired RN CPO Diver, same one?

No a previous owner, year escapes me but must have been about 1977 or 78

buoy15
24th Jan 2008, 22:20
The Spindrifter (AKA The SpermSifter) Orange Park, Jacksonville Florida - Redneck Bar with stunning country girls - if you had a 'cute' English accent you got plied with free booze before getting sifted!:)

Melchett01
24th Jan 2008, 22:29
Oscars in Alnwick was always good for trebbles for £1 during happy hour - shame they couldn't tell the time and happy hour always seemed to last at least 3 or 4 hours ;)

Will second the suggestion already made that the bar at Bentley Priory overlooking the Italian gardens was a glorious place to have a beer on a happy hour. And as for the balcony of the Punch & Judy, not been for a long time, but used to be heaving with scantily clad totty on a summer evening .... outstanding ..... sorry to hear it's been commandeered by the Essex barrow boys.

The Crazy Kangaruh in St Anton always seems to descend into one hell of a party whatever day of the week. Only drama is, you still have to ski down the last 100m or so of a bumpy slope, invariably in the dark, which when you're blotto is always good for morale as you watch your mukka's skis spearing off in opposing directions:E

It was basic and a shack, but after 3 months in Saddam central, the chance of a beer at the Muff Inn at AUD was a most welcome experience!

gonesurfin
24th Jan 2008, 23:01
The Back Bar opposite the Holiday Inn Coco Beach Florida, test tube shots and oysters.....plenty of other entertainment! God bless Ex Rum Punch!!

The Top Hat Greenwood....well maybe not!

Synthetic
24th Jan 2008, 23:24
The Cage,
Khamis Mushayt.
The sandpit.

Exactly what a "local" should be.

Orangputi
25th Jan 2008, 06:38
Rawhide Soi Cowboy Bangkok enough said

Lancastrian
25th Jan 2008, 07:22
Bugis (Boogey) street Singapore. Tardis required as snapshot taken from the sixties:) Want to drink it....they had it. Want to see it...yep,it was there. Everything could be had for the dollar now replaced by the ringit I believe.

om15
25th Jan 2008, 07:28
A few above are very familiar, Taps in Lytham, George in Ledenham, Steamboat in Lossie,

Khamis Mushayt Bar, raw alcohol and 7 up, with a VC10 mural along one wall

Some more that may jog memories,

The Plasterers Arms, Norwich,
The Castle, Forres.
Jacks Bar Gizera, Sliema,
Dana Hotel, Abu Dabi,
Savutes, Wichita
Ellens Bar, Nicosia.

Br,
om15

6Z3
25th Jan 2008, 07:39
Ah, Boogey Street '79 - 824A Flt - The image of Chief D*wson loosing the keys to the flight staff office whilst performing the dance of the flaming ar*ehole on the roof of the toilet block will be preserved for ever, not least because you could later buy photos of it, for a dorra.

The image was in sharp contrast to where the Flt got flying speed earlier in the day - Singapore Slings at Raffles of course.

dessert_flyer
25th Jan 2008, 07:49
Its got to be Harvesters for sharpners, Dip Brunch for food and a tipple, down to fiddlers to make sure your well on your way, warblers cos its on route, JJ's to overflow and into BJ's to dance it all off untill 2 before retiring with fish and chips from the eatery just outside. Happy days

Evalu8ter
25th Jan 2008, 15:23
"Chez Waynes" in Nice. Spit and sawdust, but run by ex-pat Aussies who'd encourage you to start dancing on the tables! Can't find it sober though..

Cowboys..I do hope it hasn't gone, what a bar!

Block 18 Bar at RAF Trogir...good booze, broken Americans and the "Cage de Dance"..

The Goose - Many, many happy nights...

And of course, the Original Lot 22, nothing will ever compare...

Craven Moorhed
25th Jan 2008, 20:20
Cowboys in Calgary did close down some months back after the last Stampede.
Rumour is its just moving 'cross town & re-opening.....
Standby for further.

I always enjoyed the ales in The Blue Bell Inn, on the road from CGY to Woodhall Spa, around 10 years ago.
Is it still any good ?

lampeterexile
26th Jan 2008, 09:23
Raul's Rose Garden in Belize 1985:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Spunky Monkey
26th Jan 2008, 11:59
Raul's Rose Graden!!!!
Not named after the flowers!
Was last there in 2000 I think. Not a place to take the wife, more like the set from the film"From Dusk till Dawn".

Dubai - many moons ago - Cellar Bar, owned by my Papi.
Also the Scots bar at the old sports centre. Many happy evenings and bad days.

High_Expect
26th Jan 2008, 12:01
I was in The Blue Bell about 6 months ago and I have to say the place has gone downhill. Still the same great history but under new management. The 'new' landlord has no sense of the history of the place and I fear won't give a second thought to redecorating. When we were last in there it had the atmosphere of a coal miners working mans club. The only people in there were the Landlord/Mrs Landlord and 3-4 of there 'mates'. They didn't even interrupt their pint to serve you.
So much for the days of a free lift home after the lock-in. :ok:

I hope things have improved.

jindabyne
26th Jan 2008, 15:07
Wig 'n Gown Gibraltar - sadly, on a flying visit last year the place had become a manicure parlor. And Penenope's is long gone too. Back there again next week for a day or two - can any more up-to-date members point me to decent watering holes?

bwfg3
26th Jan 2008, 16:13
sir,
by heck you have brought back a few memories.. the Howling Dog in Fox, Alaska is the only pub i've been to where zztop where on every night and there was a bouncer with a shotgun in case a curious bear tried to gatecrash events.

winkle
26th Jan 2008, 17:20
This is a great thread and brings back some fantastic memories.
Cant remember if it is chez waynes or charles in nice
chilcoot charlies and abc in anchorage
bruggen o mess happy hour when the entire unit was in
kangaru bar in st anton
john wayne strasse.
kings arms york
that pub near chivenor that did great grub
the ship at red dwarf bay
jumpin jaks in lincoln!
o mess miramar on a wed night mcrds on thurs
crazy horse2 in vegas in flying suits!
ma belles
the thunder bar
where is the new london meeting point it used to be punch and judy been a few times but didnt spot anyone.

K.Whyjelly
26th Jan 2008, 18:48
Hogs n Heffers in Las Vegas.....birds and bikes (Harleys to be precise). Got dragged into this place half cut with a group from Nellis and had a fab time. Followed on with Olympic Gardens in LV. DDGorgeous girls at $20 a dance and more negotiable in the private booths!!!!!!!!!!!!

Le Coton Club in Libreville - babes and nightfighters in abundance. Don't mess with the Froggie Legionnaires though:bored:

Anbody remember The Church in Kings Cross, London??? Sundays, beer in cans stacked on pallets behind the bar and wall to wall backpackers and studes:D

Monty77
26th Jan 2008, 19:09
Macrahanish/Campbeltown anyone?

Can't remember the name of the bar on account of the thigh length boots and fishnet stockings the bargirls wore. Beadwindow? Bollocks! 20 year old Yanks with crewcuts shouting,"Hey dude! Check out the inflatable we just filled with Bud in the bar!". Chance of Irish terrorism against Americans in Scotland in the 80s? Nil!

Had to walk back to base. Sober after 3 miles, pissed off after 5. Got home after...er, well I was very, very drunk. I think there was more than one bar.;)

Willy Miller
26th Jan 2008, 21:44
Would the moderators please strike from the record any bar within the Morayshire area and all references to the 'Spindrifter'

How about Finnigans wake and No1 Rutland place EDI ?

Anything else is a blur, like the time on that Floating Eye hospital in Gib harbour - and they made me do radios on the way back. :(

Willy Miller
26th Jan 2008, 21:47
Oh yeah - Ascension island (all of it) before about 1995

EmpireOne
26th Jan 2008, 23:50
The Herbert Inn, Townsville:}

The general decor of the 'Herby' and smell that emanates from the lavs exemplifies the absolute functionality of this fine drinking establishment. No great night out occurs without a snifter at this joint!

Patrons, you know who you are:E

ScufferEng
29th Jan 2008, 13:39
Yeah there was this one Bar I went to...... it was that good I can't for the life of me remember it!:(

talk_shy_tall_knight
29th Jan 2008, 14:00
No problem Scuffer. Just reel off a whole bunch of places you've ever been to and google an international hotel in that location. They always make for fantastic pubs and we all get to see how worldly wise and travelled you are.

Brinam
29th Jan 2008, 14:30
Downstairs bar in the Expats Club ASI

Volcano - ASI (had the honour to be the first RAF-type ejected after servicemen were banned when RAF ASI opened for business and NAAFI got involved in station bars!!)

Beefy's and Red Lips - Kowloon

OCCWMF
29th Jan 2008, 15:17
Scruff's bar at Colt:{

critter sized
29th Jan 2008, 19:41
K.Whyjelly,

You brought back memories when you mentioned 'the Church'. That place of worship moved to numerous locations around London during the 90s as it continually had its licence revoked. A number of us based at Bentley Priory used to frequent the Church during its short stint in Kilburn - only stopped when we all unwittingly appeared in a photograph that was printed in the Sunday Sport extolling the virtues of the place (so good that the Staish at the time got hold of said publication and let it be known in no uncertain terms that he was not impressed by his JOs choice of social outlet).

Critter

bayete
30th Jan 2008, 12:20
New shouts for...
Moondoggies, PB, San Diago.
A1 Nightclub, N'Djamena, Chad (After the French Army curfu starts)
Joe Kool's, Durban, SA
Big Als Bar, Tuscon
Rum Jungle, Mandelay Bay, Vegas
Ghost Bar, Vegas (opposite and instead of VooDoo Lounge)
BJ's, Bahrain
Ziggy's, York
Route 66, Swindon

2nd Shouts for...
Split Crow
Warblers
Cowboys
VC Asi
The Goose

2port
30th Jan 2008, 17:01
K. Why,

Couldn't remember the name of that place in Libreville - you're right - babes AND nightfighters AND ex pats, a perfect combo - marvellous!

Has the 4 Turkeys in Entebbe had a mention yet?

The Oaks - Neutral Bay.

Shenanigans - Darwin.

2P

Emerson Cahooners
30th Jan 2008, 17:49
Fun Pub - Stavanger
:D

maxburner
30th Jan 2008, 20:06
In no particular order:

Taps, Lytham
The Goose, FI
The Long Bar, Raffles, Singapore
The Bunch of Grapes, Pissouri, Cyprus
Longboards, Santa Barbara
The Camel Roof Bar, Sharm, Egypt
Wig and Mitre, Lincoln
The Punch and Judy, Covent Garden
Cold Spring Tavern, Santa Barbara

But it's too early to finalise the list...................

detgnome
30th Jan 2008, 20:09
For all those voting for the Crazy Kangaruh in St Anton, try the Mooserwirt, if only to see hundreds of lagered europeans singing along to German country music.

Surprised to see only one mention of the Lot 22 - Ooops 78.....

I see Oscars in Alnwick gets a mention, good (Vodka Red Bull trebles for a quid), but always full of Scopies

Mum's Bar (before it was opened up to all and sundry..)

Any recommendations for The Green Zone..?

10enggone
30th Jan 2008, 20:16
1. RAFG

2. Anywhere with squadron guys air and ground

NP20
30th Jan 2008, 21:45
Bulldog Club, Goose Bay (probably have had to have been a Permie to appreciate it)

London

Punch & Judy is for 'out of towners'. Better bets (IMHO):
The Harp (Chandos Place) - excellent choice of beers, & sausage baps
Gordons (Villiers St) - grape not grain, but excellent atmospherics
Tattershall Castle (the Thames) - aka Tatty Cat/Belgrano - though only on a sunny afternoon for its great views (also a good spot to watch the flypast on its way to Buck House)
Star Tavern (West Belgravia Mews) - nice little pub. Incidentally, its rumoured to be where the Great Train Robbery was planned (though I am quite gullible)

denachtenmai
31st Jan 2008, 07:36
Madam Chabeau's (sp) for a "bon pour" when you were skint and needed beer,and the bar at the Village Touristique on the beach for a "bon pour" when you were skint and needed beer and food, ah the memories of Majunga!
Oi, Brownie, where's my watch, lighter, pipe, tobacco, shirt and shorts? call yourself a yachtsman:(

Igloowhite
31st Jan 2008, 10:39
Cretins - (I kid you not) - Yuma. Sort of Pancho Barnes place for USMC aviators. Great mexican grub and outrageous drinking competitions with the flying leathernecks.

TacLan
31st Jan 2008, 15:55
In no particular order...
The Shed - Port Stanley, just by Coastel 1....a prefab with an ISO container for a urinal, top nights.
Warblers - Bahrain, was it me, or was that roof low
Sherlock Holmes - Bahrain, top curry, Indian style with rice, English with Chips, or Bradford with both
Clusters - Pristina, the roof came off when "Sex Bomb" came on. Got a bit serious after the Rugby Game/Naked Bar/CS Gas incident!
Bruggen Bears - Pink Polar bear....oh God!
The Bubble chew - Roermond (AKA The Blues Bar) ...great music, great beer followed by a schwoarma
Hermans, the Beer boutique - Roermond..by the time you left you knew what the padded bar was for.
The White Bear Club - Pitreave Castle, helped the night shifts along!:E
The Wheatsheaf - Edith Weston. Compulsory lock ins and a triple woods rum on the house for your birthday when Bob the banker was in charge.
Luffenham Bowling Alley - outrageous nights with Rita and Bob.
The Irish Village - Dubai Airport. Well you have to spend the time between flights somewhere
The Irish bar - The street, Moenchen Gladbach
The Siggies and Wing bar - Pec, Kosovo 1999. With locally produced chemically addictive liquid (the locals called it beer (Pivo Extra)) well there was a war on!
The Families club - Machrihanish. Vaugely remember something about "Stovies"
The Panahandy(? spelling) - Campbeltown. Especially when the fishing fleet was out:ouch:
The Eagle - Cartoontown, before it was the "Aviator" (when Frank the Chinaman was by the back gate)

I'm sure there are more, but I've just caught a whiff of beer...

ScufferEng
31st Jan 2008, 16:33
Any bar in Bahrain!! JJ's, Fiddlers Green, F1 bar, but my favourite was "Warblers" aka "Sgts mess". Pity the Fun detectors out an end to it!:(

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
31st Jan 2008, 17:46
There is no such thing as a bad bar. Some are just better than others.

maxburner
31st Jan 2008, 19:15
NP20,

Agree with Gordons in Villiers St. Just around the corner from Main Building, I spent many a Friday afternoon in there. I should have included it on my list too.

BANANASBANANAS
31st Jan 2008, 21:23
Waltzing Matilda and Ned Kelly's in HKG were 10 Sqns regular haunts in the 1980's. Some great memories and awful hangovers from both. Still got the tape of Ken Bennett and the Kowloon Hongkers live at Ned Kellys.

Anyone know if Grace still runs the Wally Mat?:ok:

Truck2005
31st Jan 2008, 21:36
Midnight Rodeo, Alberqueque
Chez Nous, Berlin (80's)
Any Bar at 19th & M Washington (including Joanna's - Please be sure you are over 21)
The Hangar Bar, Gander (he went in a boy, came out not too sure)

Anyone try Florida 2000 in DC?

Seldomfitforpurpose
1st Feb 2008, 08:14
For sharpeners any Embassy Suites from 17:30 - 19:30 :ok:

Memories of being sat on the veranda of Fort Fort Street in Belize drinking goldfish bowls of G+T's always brings a smile :ok:

Always found the piano bar in "New York New York" to be clackertastic......... but that is generally the result of the 2 hour happy hour in the Suites on Paradise Avenue :E

Not sure who previously mentioned Aalborg but in total agreement as any bar on the "street" on a Friday or Saturday night was just fantastic........and the fact that the "ugly police" seemed by 20:00 to have shipped all the munters to outside the own boundary...priceless :E

Top Bunk Tester
1st Feb 2008, 09:42
Just working through my career (or lack thereof)

RAF Cranwell Bubbly Club
Sylvana's Akrotiri
Bulldog Club RAF(U) Goose Bay
RAF Finningley Rugby Club and Gatehouse
Flyers Gander
Gordon Biersch, Voodoo Lounge, Cheetahs, Hard Rock, Old Piano Bar (NYNY) Las Vegas
Safari Bar Muscat
Sherlock Holmes Bahrain
Piano Bar Adams Mark Hotel St Louis
And many many Hooters

LOTA
1st Feb 2008, 12:31
The 'best boozer' I ever knew was a bloke called Bill Jameson.....:bored:

However,in the spirit of this thread can I add:

the aforementioned Krazy Kangaruh in St Anton - dancin on the tables in ski boots and ski-ing home pissed in the dark;

the Yucatan in Engelberg which sells more beer in the winter season than anywhere else in Swisserland during a year;

the Goatstall (or something like that) in Hinterglemm, Austria. Something for all tastes: strippers at midnight and goats out the back!

And last, but not least, Ye Olde Axe in Hackney Road, EC2. Maybe the roughest looking boozer in Britain, the worst cider imaginable, but the Brazilian ladies - wow!

artyhug
1st Feb 2008, 12:51
the Goatstall (or something like that) in Hinterglemm, Austria. Something for all tastes: strippers at midnight and goats out the back!

And last, but not least, Ye Olde Axe in Hackney Road, EC2. Maybe the roughest looking boozer in Britain, the worst cider imaginable, but the Brazilian ladies - wow!

Ah, Ye Olde Axe.... There was I thinking I might never find another supposedly educated military type who knew of one of my favourite east end dives.....

My faith in OASC is restored......

goudie
1st Feb 2008, 13:04
Waltzing Matilda and Ned Kelly's in HKG

Bananas
Thanks for reminding me of the names of the Bars the Britannia Det. frequented in the early '70s. The Kowloon Honkers was a treat to listen to.

Jumping_Jack
1st Feb 2008, 13:20
Midnight Rodeo for definate......or may be Gold Club, Atlanta......too difficult to choose...:bored:

Spit the Dog
1st Feb 2008, 13:30
My Appartments... Halifax
Eager Beaver...St. Johns
Red Baron...Gander
Mad Mikes...DC

LOTA
1st Feb 2008, 13:38
Ah, Ye Olde Axe.... There was I thinking I might never find another supposedly educated military type who knew of one of my favourite east end dives.....

My faith in OASC is restored...... wrote artyhug.

Fantastic, another Olde Axe fan among the pruners! I did spend almost four years at OASC in one guise or another, but I'm not sure it had anything to do with my appreciation of this East End boozer! It was more like two beautiful sisters who danced there in 2005/06, I think. :)

EESDL
1st Feb 2008, 14:00
Could not have been a particular good 'boozer' if you can remember the name!
Pub off Dale St, Liverpool - where there is activity under the table whilst you try and drink.

C130 Techie
1st Feb 2008, 20:43
Help, Rio
Piano Bar, New York New York, Las Vegas
Queen Vic, MPA (RIP)
Crown and Anchor, Findhorn
Buffalo Joes, Newcastle
Nellies Head, St Ives, Cambs

There was also a bar in Jever with a moving dance floor. Name escapes me so it must have been good

Grabbers
1st Feb 2008, 21:30
SFFP,

We seem to have haunted the same hostelries. Do I know you?

Green Flash
1st Feb 2008, 22:06
Crown and Anchor, Findhorn

Good pub, but I'll see your C & A and raise you the Kimberley!

C130 Techie
1st Feb 2008, 22:20
Green Flash

Unfortunately never went in the Kimberley. The Crown and Anchor was the Tatty Ton pub of choice in the late 80s particularly on a Sunday evening for the folk nights.

15thManofTain
2nd Feb 2008, 10:11
Of course everyone is forgetting the wonderful selection of pubs surrounding the RAF's best loved station!

The Sandy - Rhosneigr
er... thats it

Dire.....pleased Im away from there.

grandfromage
2nd Feb 2008, 10:57
A big hand to the person who dragged up the Howling Dog Fairbanks from their remaining braincells.

Brit tent (cant remember the name) in Turkey
Crazy horse 2, flying suits 1400 after the pre flag brief.
Leuven
Aalborg (anywhere)

Fly3
2nd Feb 2008, 13:11
Saturday lunchtime sessions in The Beehive and all nighters there, and The Ladystreet Club in Helston hosted by V J B and John Hendry N, are largely responsible for my early dementia but boy were they fun!

Sy Clic
2nd Feb 2008, 19:40
Talking of mind wrecking beers in Helston, I do remember SPINGO. I think the landlord of the Blue Anchor can take the credit for many a FAA chum getting through training with that mind altering brew.
SC

Glass Half Empty
2nd Feb 2008, 22:32
The Hover Inn at Incerlik by any chance for the tented Brit bar?? Became called something else after the Hover boys left and the tonka boys arrived. Used the same letters plus a few but was never very good at anagrams. Something to do with grapes wasn't it??

OKOC
3rd Feb 2008, 11:20
Bigbluecar--you MUST go to Coconuts RIGHT on Cocoa Beach What memories!!

Oh, and the scruffs bar in the O mess at Lyneham WAS a great bar before some tw*t of a PMC (OC Admin) shut it down to "encourage interelations in the "main" (atmosphereless) bar".

minigundiplomat
3rd Feb 2008, 11:52
Tequila Darts in the Anchor.

You know who you are!

Raincheck
3rd Feb 2008, 11:53
The Boatyard, Barbados

Good hours, good company and twofers daily 1600-1800 and quite often again at 2200-2359. Not compulsory drinking but churlish not to !:D

nipva
3rd Feb 2008, 13:12
Herewith another subscriber to The Howling Dog. I swear that the roof was visibly moving the first time that we drove up. One inside you could see why....

Nearer to home, I am surprised that the cellar bar in the Druidston and the Swan at Little Haven have not featured yet. Time to redress this omission.

dionysius
4th Feb 2008, 11:13
Pops and Eddies near JHQ Rheindahlen, always open after the onbase bars had closed.

Camp Allegro, Curacao, remember going there with a Herc Capt, we got back to the hotel 30 mins before wheels, absolutley stuuning colombian girls there :ok:

Did visit the dick doctor on my return to Lyneham though ;)

wessex19
4th Feb 2008, 11:34
Australia Hotel, "The Rocks" Sydney :ok:

threeputt
4th Feb 2008, 11:59
The Elephant Bar in Vegas.

The Officers Mess at Bruggen, anytime.

3P:ok:

St Johns Wort
4th Feb 2008, 12:38
The Three Steps at Migh. A great pint of the black stuff.

Jayand
18th Feb 2008, 14:42
Best in the middle east= hunters lodge Barhain, early 90's

threeputt
18th Feb 2008, 15:32
Ma Bell's in St Andrews for a lunchtime sharpener with with "JD". Great place for breaking new JP's!

3P:ok:

Stitchbitch
18th Feb 2008, 23:26
Boot bar - Whistler BC...tits n beer
London pub - Hintergleim, Austria...tits n beer
White Ave, Edmonton...erm..
Barrel bar,Gutersloh (late 80s-mid 90s)
Any bar in Berlin
Alex bar, Dortmund
Any bar in Brno
Intercon, Muscat
Whoppit inn, CBY

EC Does It
18th Feb 2008, 23:33
Raoul's Rose Garden, Belize
The Beer Bucket, Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Union Jack Club, Waterloo, London.

It does, of course, depend upon the people you are with as to how good teh pi$$-up turns out to be!!

Confucius
19th Feb 2008, 10:34
BB King Blues Club, 143 Beale St, Memphis TN.

Great (live) Music, great atmosphere, great city. Somehow the double Jack's 'n' coke taste better than anywhere else too.

The food's good but you GOTTA eat at Rendezvous (in the alley, downstairs, behind 52 South Second in downtown Memphis).

Beatriz Fontana
19th Feb 2008, 10:56
Europe: The Norrebro Bryghus in Copenhagen. I can't tell you much about it because it was such a fantastic place. They brew their own beers, too.

Australia: The Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel in Sydney. Great atmosphere, I wasted a lot of time in there.

UK: My local. They're just started doing food, which is a bad thing (because I'll go there for lunch now, too!)

Seymour Belvoir
19th Feb 2008, 12:28
Sloppy Joe's Key West.

Very drunk on Long Island Iced Tea..got off my bar stool to go to the gents....fell flat on my face. Those were the days!:O

Logistics Loader
19th Feb 2008, 13:25
O'Malley's in Sao Paulo was good...

Courtesy of 1312 Flt ....

Truck2005
19th Feb 2008, 18:15
Here's a rare one. The Concorde Club, RAFO/Airworks Seeb. Cheapest beer in town if you can get an invite.

JMP6
19th Feb 2008, 18:42
The Horny Vine.

Great days.

Riskman
22nd Feb 2008, 17:42
Any cellar bar at Gut

Footy Club Bruggen

The Hover Inn

The K & Q in Wendover (1979)

Jan's Bar Roermond

minigundiplomat
22nd Feb 2008, 17:51
The Horny Vine.
Would that be the establishment in Incirlik?

JessTheDog
22nd Feb 2008, 20:36
Helston gets a few mentions! i had a good night out there, and witnessed an on-street incident of female-on-male attempted rape! She had a weight advantage and it took a few coppers to get her off him!

George at Leadenham....happy memories!

High Wycombe had an excellent pub for live music, with a rock-grunge-goth theme...can't remember the name though but many good nights were had! Also a few traditional pubs closer to the camp....the one with the pipe-smoking landlord and the younger Russian wife, the one that briefly introduced lap-dancers :uhoh: and got a friend of mine into a lot of trouble with the missus.

There was a bar round the corner from the RAF Club that did a champagne happy hour. Myself and a chum partook of the said offer, and found out afterwards it was a lap-dancing club. My chum spent most of his income there for the next month or two along with a few other JOs (they brought a dancer back to the Mess one night I believe) but I never went back (honest!)

Al R
31st May 2016, 08:00
Alas, the Wheatsheaf has taken a bit of a scorching.

http://www.stamfordmercury.co.uk/news/local/the-wheatsheaf-in-edith-weston-badly-damaged-in-fire-cause-under-investigation-1-7399091

Wander00
31st May 2016, 11:31
Isn't that near a signpost "To Edith Weston" and someone added "a son"

Shame though

Pontius Navigator
31st May 2016, 11:33
Wander, in my neck of the woods, 'Old Bollingbroke and Mavis Enderby, a son"

TLDNMCL
31st May 2016, 12:14
Jess The Dog;
That would be The Nag's Head for music(now closed and boarded up), and The Black Horse for the Russian landlady.

Wander00
31st May 2016, 12:32
PN - I know that sign too - days at Binbrook and Cranwell and my boys with the ex in Ely.

Had some fun in The George at Leadenham too when I came back as a 36 year old retread, and everyone else at the Towers was about 20......................

Surplus
31st May 2016, 13:28
Bredbury Hall in it's heyday.
Hong Kong Bar, Penang, (pre fire.)
Nota Bene fun pub, Chania, Greece.
Back of the Hook helicopter, Gatow, 6 cans of Guinness entrance fee, outrageous party with our Russian friends.

Basil
31st May 2016, 15:42
The Jeve in Goodge Street.
Dusk to Dawn, Wan Chai.
Mamacitas, Puerto Cortes.
The list is endless but, curiously, difficult to recollect ;)

EESDL
31st May 2016, 19:39
The Coach n horses opposite Royal Mail in Norwich.
Rugby and cricket coverage, great Sunday Roast, newspapers, friendly staff and on-site brewery ;-)

Thanks Basil for the Dusk to Dawn tip - just starting 3-years out there...

Basil
1st Jun 2016, 13:12
Thanks Basil for the Dusk to Dawn tip - just starting 3-years out there...
Look out for the clip joints in Wan Chai; recognisable when girl appears asking you to buy her a drink. Mama San wasn't pleased when I described her establishment in less than glowing terms - just as well for Bas that the Wan Chai Tong were off somewhere else.

Joe Bananas is OK; there's another next to Dusk to Dawn whose name I forget.
A couple of colleagues were rohypnolled one night. They realised what had happened when they came to the next day with lots of expensive drinks CC debits in their wallets.

The financial crowd tended to Lan Kwai Fong (Sp?)

Have fun and watch yer six!

tarantonight
1st Jun 2016, 18:16
The RAF Bar, The Eagle, Cambridge. Priceless history within. Many a evening spent there way back when. Long before all the research was done.

Well worth a visit.
TN.

Basil
1st Jun 2016, 19:20
The only one I can remember in Cambridge was The Fort St George; recollect getting well oiled in there. That was back in the days when Girton was for girls.

Megaton
1st Jun 2016, 20:49
Next to Dusk Till Dawn? Amazonia? Good live music but full of hookers. Don't, whatever you do, buy drinks for the girls or it will turn into a very expensive night indeed.

Melchett01
1st Jun 2016, 22:36
Is Raoul's Rose Garden in Belize still going?

mgahan
2nd Jun 2016, 01:51
My friend who spends time in Jakarta told me that Jaya Pub for some 60's and 70's music for a few hours followed by BATS for a look at rental properties and Indonesian takeaway - but only a look - is a good way to spend an evening.

MJG

Megaton
2nd Jun 2016, 06:20
Feather Boa iin Staunton St in HK also worth a visit before heading to the flesh pots of Lan Kwai Fong (aka Lick My Thong).

airborne_artist
2nd Jun 2016, 06:28
The Beehive in Helston.

West Coast
2nd Jun 2016, 06:43
Moose's in Honolulu.

Pacific Beach bar and grill in San Diego.

At least when I was a single lad, they were hoppin. With gray hair, I doubt they'd let me in nowadays.

Jayand
2nd Jun 2016, 07:04
Ha, this thread is just a willy waving exercise to see who went to the most far flung or exotic sounding location to get drunk.

Best for me the simple old nags head Deci. Or maybe the Crown at Wendover.

BEagle
2nd Jun 2016, 07:38
Westie, they actually let me into Moose's with very little hair remaining! Glad to see we do at least agree on something!

Watching the classic 1976 BBC series Sailor on DVD last night, I would consider that Diamond Lil's Show Bar on Plymouth's Union Street would probably not have featured on my list of best pubs.... But it has now closed, I gather.

But what a great series that was.

Megaton
2nd Jun 2016, 08:02
If you ever get a chance to visit the range at Tolicha Peak, drop into the Sourdough Bar in Beatty, Nv. Rough as fcuk but with a certain rustic charm.

Basil
2nd Jun 2016, 08:50
OK, Jayand:
Recollect from 1970s Viscount days, a club in Leeds which used to have a lunchtime 'Amateur Hour'.
On that rotation the pilots had a day layover with an hotel room allocated to change in and our new cabin crew came into town to meet us. Not only were they the only female clients in this place but they were the only ones in BEA uniform :ooh:

Bladdered
2nd Jun 2016, 11:41
The 2 Pigs, Pickwick, Corsham - heavy rock, like a proper mancave inside. No food, no dogs and no under 21's.

Pint of Swill bartender..............................:)

gsa
2nd Jun 2016, 12:09

Classy joint you picked there. :ok:

Auntie Maureen
2nd Jun 2016, 17:23
Sadly not, burned down - I think a couple of years ago now.

West Coast
2nd Jun 2016, 19:53
Westie, they actually let me into Moose's with very little hair remaining! Glad to see we do at least agree on something!

Bald is in, gray I'm finding only gets you called "sir".

Pontius Navigator
2nd Jun 2016, 20:30
Westie, used to being called Sir, went with the job and also some shops but I was speechless the other day to be called Sir by someone who meant it
rather than a policeman but blowed if I can remember who. The other part of lacking a solar teepee.

Avtur
2nd Jun 2016, 21:58
Beagle: I would consider that Diamond Lil's Show Bar on Plymouth's Union Street would probably not have featured on my list of best pubs....

Lived in Plymouth prior to joining the RAF; Union Street was both a place to be and a place to avoid. The trick was figuring out when.

salad-dodger
4th Jun 2016, 08:53
The 2 Pigs, Pickwick, Corsham - heavy rock, like a proper mancave inside. No food, no dogs and no under 21's.

Pint of Swill bartender..............................:)

Great place for a pint or two, they even do a loyalty card with free beer.

S-D

SASless
5th Jun 2016, 20:50
The Great Alaska Bush Company (the original)

Chilkoot Charlies's in Anchorage, Alaska!

The Condi Bar, Las Palmas, The Canaries

Murphy's, Alexandria, Virginia

Fourth Avenue Tavern, Olympia, Washington

The Geronimo Bar, Phu Loi, Vietnam (now under local management)

Ubehagligpolitiker
6th Jun 2016, 15:56
Madame Crocodile's, Majunga, Malagasy Republic

ValMORNA
6th Jun 2016, 19:55
Our villa

Off Sitteen Street

Jeddah

Saudi Arabia

Minnie Burner
7th Jun 2016, 15:42
Hard to believe if you visit now but circa 1971 this was a great boozer and the nearest to Chiv with beer straight from the barrel. A favourite of one S J Horridge (RIP)
http://anthonylinick.com/journal/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/two-moors-way-day6.jpg

Not_a_boffin
7th Jun 2016, 16:17
http://www.authenticpua.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Oliver-Reed-Drinking.jpg

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick..........?