PDA

View Full Version : Aircrewman training failure points

pusser medic
23rd Jan 2008, 10:37
Hi everyone

Just curious about the fequency of assesments during aircrewman training on the ASW side. I also have my flying grading at Shawbury in two weeks and would like some helpful hints

Many thanks

guidedweapons
23rd Jan 2008, 11:46
Hi, having had a little exposure to the aircrewman branch i can give you a little of what I know.

Firstly you would have to attend RAF Cranwell for the aptitude tests for NCO aircrew. To stand any chance at all of becoming an aircrewman you would have to pass these tests. The RN grading is around four weeks long. The RAF do not have a grading proccess other than Aptitude testing. The RN put a huge emphasis on recruiting the right person both in the air and on the ground. Which I am told is why the proccess of grading is so long. With regards to failure rates I am led to believe it currently runs at about 50%, don't quote me on this figure.

airborne_artist
23rd Jan 2008, 12:44
You will undergo an annual check by an independent standardisation team.

And these guys are colloquially known as "Trappers".

Good luck!

guidedweapons
23rd Jan 2008, 13:42
Wader2, I believe pm is inquiring about Naval Aircrewman as opposed to RAF.

pusser medic
23rd Jan 2008, 13:53
Yes that is correct, as i do not intend to join the light blue side of life at present. I head to cranwell before the grading so any hints on that part?

buoy15
23rd Jan 2008, 20:37
Airborne

See you are aged 8

That explains a lot - not trappers any more dear boy - we are examiners who "test and teach"

We don't demoralise but encourage with professional support and guidance - however, if you screw up you can lose your Cat - but if you show promise you are rewarded

onthebumline
23rd Jan 2008, 20:38
pm,

Best thing to do is:

1. Phone the students crewroom at 824 NAS, Culdrose. Number available through MOD enquiries.

2. Ask to speak to one of the student aircrewmen.

3. If they are decent chaps they will furnish you with all the details you require.

good luck

pusser medic
24th Jan 2008, 09:57
Thanks very much, will do.

cornbeef
24th Jan 2008, 11:26
Hi PM,
First off staggered that as a potential Aircrewman you have discovered PPRUNE. Got to bode well for your forthcoming grading which I can only wish you good luck on.
The guys up at Shawbury are superb at their job making our lives down at the training Squadron so much easier. Grading is all about aptitude and preparation. Mental maths is our biggest failure area and you will get plenty of maths tests during your four weeks. One of those weeks will be spent at Culdrose where you will be introduced to the Merlin, which if you are successful you will spend your flying career operating. Approach grading with an open mind and be prepared to work as hard as you ever have. Don’t aim for a pass, go for a distinction. On completion of grading you will be given a grading result A-C. You will then go into the melting pot awaiting selection for course. There are only two Merlin courses a year with 5/6 students per course. The Merlin course lasts approximately 14 months, which includes Common Core Ground School (Shawbury), Survival Training, Medical Training and drills (Excellent, Henlow and Sultan), then on to Basic Acoustics (Culdrose) and Aircraft and Operational Conversion Courses (Culdrose). You will be assessed at every stage. Every flight, every simulator ride and every ground exam will have a pass mark and a written report which you are required to read and sign. The current course have over 100 reports on every student Aircrewman. When you are awarded your wings-which you would have justifiably earned you will go to a Front Line Squadron, where you will be tested again in order to achieve your Certificate of Competence. Just to put the cream on the cake you will be tested by, as AA put’s it “trappers” every year until you cease flying. Which since I left the Training Squadron as the Senior Aircrewman and joined Trappers as the Aircrewman examiner I have intimate knowledge of.

As all the threads have intimated – and I can only agree Good Luck and hope to see you in the not too distant future.

Wader2
24th Jan 2008, 11:43
Guidedweapons, thank for that. Having read cornbeef all I can say is the words are different the result is that same.

Smile, things could be worse. Sure enough things will get worse :)

guidedweapons
24th Jan 2008, 13:44
PM,

You have pretty much had it from the 'Boss' horses mouth!

Good luck.

pusser medic
24th Jan 2008, 16:47
Thanks very much for all your advice cornbeef:bored: , i think i'd better turn into a sponge as soon as i hit shawbury!, hope to see u fellas when i make it to culdrose.