PDA

View Full Version : Hello (and a few questions)

Shiver me timbers!
22nd Jan 2008, 21:20
Hi I'm Dave, 21, and about to finish uni in March (although let's not dwell on this :rolleyes: )

I've done a bit of research surrounding the wannabe subject and have devised a non-integrated plan of action:

PPL > ATPL (distant) > CPL + IR in order to achieve a fATPL.

However, I have a few questions.

Without trying to sound naive, I expect total costs (considering I complete all training in the 'standard' period) to be approx £30k - is this realistic? This cost is including bumping PPL to 150 hours in order to commence CPL.

Also, with regards to the ATPL - how big is the advantage of studying full time rather than distant learning? - as it's more expensive to do full time. I'm planning to work 3 days a week and study the other two.

And finally, I’m planning to do my PPL in the UK but have been advised that it’s cheaper abroad i.e. NZ, SA, US etc. I understand the implications and general pro/cons but wondered what other thought – perhaps from their experience.

Many thanks,

Dave.

BerksFlyer
22nd Jan 2008, 21:30
To give a more balanced view Dave, there's no facts to say that integrated students have better prospects and you will come out of your modular course with more hours than your integrated compatriots. It would likely be recommended to do as much of the course at one FTO though.

Just as many integrated students have probably ended up as FIs building up hours, which, Spam, there's nothing wrong with!

Shiver me timbers!
22nd Jan 2008, 21:35
Thanks for your quick response.

I have considered this but it's just too expensive at 50-60k - although I did hear about cloud9aviation offering it for £29,995 but no one can provide feedback as they're relatively new.

Unfortunately I don't have my parents throwing money at me and although I understand a loan can be obtained, this is likely to be on the basis that it is secured on a property and this is a definite no no. Plus i'm already £12k in debt from University :*

Dave.

JB007
22nd Jan 2008, 21:42
The big thing about flying training Dave, IS WHAT SUITS YOU!

Be comfortable with your school and what it cost's! If your happy, that's all that matters!

Ignore all the boll*cks about Modular/Integrated - Spamfritters post is tosh, it's getting the fATPL that matters. There are some appaulling training establishments, ask for advice and you'll get an honest answer based on experience on here!

Good luck.

P.s I was modular from start to finish - it took me 5 months from finishing IR to getting my first job, 3 years on a turbo-prop, now B757/767