PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best out of the 4 JAA schools in the USA

Irish26A
22nd Jan 2008, 16:42
Which is the best for a JAA ATPL out of the 4 schools Naples, EFT, OBA and OFT.

AlphaMale
22nd Jan 2008, 17:14
You're not going to get a JAA PPL/CPL/IR in the US due to the needing to do the JAA IR in the UK or converting an FAA IR when you get back.

I've been researching all 4 schools for quite some time and decided EFT's APP course would be my best option due to the amount of Multi time involved.

But I've decided to do my training at B-F-C (Bristol - UK). Personal choice after a good couple of years of researching. There are good points and bad points for the 4 schools above but the only way you'll find out the best school is by researching. ;)

Take for example the PPL.

UK = £6k

US = £4.5K + flights + accommodation + time off work for 21 days. (Keep in mind the 21 day courses are taking up to and sometimes over twice as long)

Good luck with the research - Nobody is going to give you the answer on this thread, and if they do somebody else will have their opinion.

Greg2041
22nd Jan 2008, 20:59
But I've decided to do my training at B-F-C (Bristol - UK). Personal choice after a good couple of years of researching. AlphaMale

Good advice Alphamale. After much soul searching and bean counting, I've decided to do a PPL + ATPL theory at CATS. For a PPL + ATPL theory, the US costs aren't much cheaper and of course you miss out on the beautiful British weather!

HomerJay
22nd Jan 2008, 21:07
Take for example the PPL.

UK = £6k

US = £4.5K + flights + accommodation + time off work for 21 days. (Keep in mind the 21 day courses are taking up to and sometimes over twice as long)

Your forgetting about time scales though...

UK= God only knows

US= A month

4.5k would get you the licence and the accomm in most of the schools also.

On another point they are just the JAA schools in Florida not the US.

AlphaMale
22nd Jan 2008, 21:23
Thanks for the back up ;)

I have a spreadsheet of all possible ways to fATPL, using schools from the US/Spain/Greece and UK is the best choice for me.

I live an hour away from B-F-C and I have heard they are probably the 3rd best in the UK for flight training. £4,095 (45hrs PPL+Night in US) v £6,000 (50hrs PPL in B-F-C) sounds like a no brainer, but you need to think what you would do if you don't get the PPL in 21 days? and you have the hassle of taking a day off work to go to the US embasy for an interview, apply for a visa, get your finger prints done etc and when you do get out there you'll be flying an AC that we don't have in the UK i.e. Liberty.

So when you do come back you'll need to get used to UK airspace (I am told it's quite different), familiarisation with a 150/172 etc

For me and Greg2041 it's probably easier and cheaper to get it all done at JAA land :)

You don't have to look at OAT and the £80k bill, Stapleford, Bournemouth, Airways etc offer top training at good prices.

It could be argued that hour building in the US is unbeatable, but as A&C will tell you - consider accommodation/flights etc and 50hrs in 2 weeks will cost you the same as 50hrs in the UK (Not getting on that debate here though).

Keep researching - it'll all make sense in the end ;)

dartagnan
22nd Jan 2008, 21:31
4 weeks for a PPL is tight.

I would say 6-8 weeks for a US privat.
8 weeks for a IR
4 weeks for a commercial
6 weeks for time building
7-10 months for the JAR groundschool
1-3 months for the exams
2 months for the JAA conversion.

add an extra of 4-6 weeks for travel, holyday,paperwork, complications like illness,...

AlphaMale
22nd Jan 2008, 21:42
HomerJay - Take a look at all the very unhappy people in the US school threads.

For me having threads like this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=288703) put me off (not saying it doesn't happen in the UK for one minute) but this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250785) thread is debating on PPL in 21 days and it's one of a dozen threads I can pick out.

Coming from a guy who was out there not so long ago (Capt.Easy):

The FI (i think they have now 2 or 3 and about 20 up to 30 students) are the same for PPL or CPL. Yes you get refund the rest of your money what you havent flown but then you haven't a licence
You have one advance as PPL, you don't need the arrow. But the Cessnas (i think they have approx. 10) are not in better condition. I never so such bad planes.

There is just one (Cessna) who everything is working for IFR flight. I did my heck ride with one, where the two NAV had an deflection of about 8 to 10 degrees. And for the ILS you need to observe two NAV, because on the upper one just the GS was working and on this beneath, the LOC was accurate.

If you go there, plan at least 6 week for your PPL. The FI are very good but the rest.....no comment.
EFT Thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=206623&page=16)

So 2 or 3 Instructors and 20-30 students? and I don't think I need to repeat the conditions of the AC.

I stress this is my choice. Horses for courses.

dartagnan says 6-8 weeks for a PPL. I agree, with so many PPL students coming back after 21 days with no licence I'm determined not to be another unhappy student.

I can't afford and I am not able to take 8 weeks off work so my options soon narrow down. :rolleyes:

PPL at B-F-C (http://www.b-f-c.co.uk/flight-training/courses-private-pilots-licence.html)
If you can do your training full time over three or four weeks (weather permitting) you will probably need less flying hours than if you spread your training over a longer period.

In practice the CAA average is 55 hours. You should budget for between 50 and 55 hours for you flight training, £6,000 to £6,600.

maxpower1770
24th Jan 2008, 11:31
Thats not wot the bloke asked , this site is full of prats when it comes to getting a answer , try EFT mate they have older instrucrors and not some young hourbuilders . The other schools will do the job but EFT just seems that bit more profesional. PPL in 4 weeks is no problem most students get it in 3 but just to be on the safe side give yourself 4 weeks. Flying in the U.K will break the bank and it would take months just to get the ppl in the winter months . Good luck :ok:

AlphaMale
24th Jan 2008, 11:42
Thats not wot the bloke asked , this site is full of prats when it comes to getting a answer , try EFT mate they have older instrucrors and not some young hourbuilders . Flying in the U.K will break the bank and it would take months just to get the ppl in the winter months . Good luck

I have given him the EFT thread link, let him make his own mind up.

But what do I know I'm a prat right? But I'm not the one placing a space both sides of my commas and full stops :8

Nobody told him to do his PPL in the winter either :ugh:

nh2301
24th Jan 2008, 12:22
Isn't EFT's program based on having instructors there to hour build?