PDA

View Full Version : FREE Helicopter Instructor Rating >>> 2008 Winner announced!

Flying Lawyer
22nd Jan 2008, 11:50
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/Aviation/GAPANbanner_600.jpg

The Guild makes a number of scholarships available to people who would like to become pilots or to further their qualifications as pilots.

Flight Instructor (R) (Helicopter) Scholarship

Further information:
GAPAN (http://www.gapan.org/)2008 Scholarships & Bursaries (http://www.gapan.org/careers/scholarships/schols08.htm)FI(R)(Helicopters) Scholarship (http://www.gapan.org/careers/scholarships/FI_R__H_R%202008.pdf) (incl downloadable application form)Several Ppruners have been awarded various GAPAN scholarships in previous years.
This particular scholarship has been won by regular posters on this forum for at least the last 3 years. :ok:

Give it a go.
Last year, there were only 12 compliant applications for this scholarship. (Compliant = applicants who met the requirements set out in the scholarhsip application forms.)

There's nothing to lose but the cost of a stamp, and this year's winner could be YOU!

Good luck. :ok:

Flashover999
22nd Jan 2008, 13:33
This is a genuine "Free" offer. I can say this because i won it last year.
I would like to give a little bit of advice and insight into the process.

First of all have a look at the some of the other threads that have been posted on here over the last couple of years. There is a wealth of information from past winners and applicants.

Next download the application form and have a look at what is required.

http://www.gapan.org/careers/scholarships/FI_R__H_R%202007.pdf

Basically you will need to have done 250 hours helicopter time but if you are a little short of that time say so! I was about 13 hours short at the time of sending in the application but knew that i would be up to or just past the required hours by the time of the interview (You need to be at the required hours at the start of your course)

PRE--ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
(a) Completed at least 250 hours of flight time of which not less than 100 hours shall be pilot-in-command
(PIC) if holding an ATPL(H) or CPL(H), or 150 hours PIC, if holding a PPL(H).
(b) Have met the knowledge requirements for a CPL(H) as set out in AMC FCL 1.470(b)
(c) Completed at least 30 hours on single-engine helicopters of which at least five hours shall
have been completed during the six months preceding the pre-entry flight test set out at (f) below;
(d) Received at least 10 hours instrument flight instruction of which not more than five hours may be
instrument ground time in a flight simulator or FNPT;
(e) Completed at least 20 hours of cross-country flight as PIC: and
(f) Passed a specific pre-entry flight test with an FI qualified in accordance with JAR-FCL 2.330(f) for this
purpose, based upon the proficiency check as set out in JAR-FCL 2.240(b) within the six months
preceding the start of the course. The flight test will assess the suitability of the applicant to undertake
the course.

Fill out the application neatly and carefully. I did mine 3 times before finally getting it neat, tidy and error free! (I get my worms mixed up!).

You will need to think carefully about where you want to train if you was to be sucessful with your application. You need to nominate 2 venues. I did mine at Wycombe Air Park and can thoroughly endorse the instructors and the course. The staff are very friendly and bend over backwards to help you with accomadation and wellbeing.

I got a couple of references, one of which was non aviation related but was teaching related and included them with my application. Dont hang around and get it sent off in plenty of time.

If you are called for interview..............................

What are the Guild looking for in you???

"They want to see someone who's capable of passing the course, but more importantly someone who is committed to a career in helicopters which includes instructing. Since the FI rating formed a major part of my career plan for flying, I was able to present myself as such. If you just want to take the money, build the hours then run off to the North Sea, you might not get too far." (Previous winner of the FI (R) Scholarship)

"I put it accross that i have a love of flying and teaching and always wanted to combine the 2 and have been building towards the FI rating. I have no intention of flying off-shore and would love to fly from my local airfield and teach as a career. I have connections with the Air Training corps and would love to give something back to the Corps that gave me so much when i was younger. (The Guild also gives Flying scholarships to Young Cadets)"

When you are called in for interview there will be 3 people interviewing you. It will last approx 45 mins.

You will need to perform a short 10 minute talk about a subject of your choice! It does not have to be aviation related! I spoke about the physiology of respiration in the human body and the means to oxygenate the brain by alternative methods. A subject that i have confidence in teaching being a trauma Care instructor! What they want to see is that you can get your information accross and that you can be confident in your talking! You can use props if you want and take with you what you feel you will need! It is informal and relaxed so just be yourself.

They will ask you about what you have done in the past (From the info on your application) and what you hope to do in the future. they will ask you what you know about the guild and how you found out.

YOU MUST BE ABLE TO COMPLETE THE FI TRAINING BY THE END OF THE YEAR! If you cannot get the time to do the course which will be from 4 to 8 weeks then you should not apply.

When you have finished you will go home and continue with your life and await the phone call in the next few weeks. If you win then you will have saved a fortune, if not then you have met some great people who will be there next year when you apply again.

This from a previous winner.....

Training Course and Test

"I did my course at Helicopter Services, High Wycombe, partly for geographical reasons, mostly because Mike Green was running the course.
Others may fly elsewhere, but I think it says something that for the past three years, the winners of the award have all done their course there.
I also flew once with Leon Smith - I'd like to know how many other instructor students he tells about his first experience with a sheep in a field near Aylesbury!"

"I found that on top of the course pressures, I also self-induced pressure because of the sponsorship in that I didn't want to make an arse of myself by failing the test after having had so much confidence placed in my by complete strangers based on a 45 minute interview. So, 1st September saw me pass the flight test, and yet another bottle (or was it two) of bubbly.
Incidentally the way it works with paying is that the school invoices GAPAN directly – you never see a bill."

"If you do go over the 30 hours, then do play fair and pay up without GAPAN having to ask. After all, for you to pay 0.5 or 1.0 compared to 30.0 is quite a significant saving!"

I loved the FI course, I learned so much more about flying and improved my own skills. You get to fly with and meet some of the legends of the UK helicopter scene.

Later in the year you will be asked to attend the presentation ceremony of your FI scholarship at the Guild in London. Its very formal and very interesting. After the awards have been presented you will have a chance to mix with the highest people in the UK aviation industry. You will talk to the winners of other scholarships and bursaries and hear their stories and experiences of flying up to date. You will pick up on the energy that comes from a pure love of flying and everything aviation. There will be a lot of people who post on Pprune under various disguises who will offer you advice and help in the future. I am finally getting round to joining the guild, its worth it!

To close...

You have nothing to lose and loads to gain and its only going to take a few hours or writing, a few hours of research and a day out of your life to apply so do it!

Hope this helps anyone thinking or applying.

Flash :ok:

PS I will do my best to answer any questions that you may want to ask!

K48
29th Jan 2008, 10:03
I am nearly there... but not quite... I finish my CPL(H) on February 19th/20th ... (GFT pass dependent)... with 190 hours... getting 60 hours in time would be a challenge... £££ unless I get given loads of work.. or maybe I can cajole many friends to go up the Thames... again ....
arrrh.:ugh:

Floppy Link
6th Feb 2008, 09:23
Is there a list of Guild Approved FTOs anywhere?

Bravo73
6th Feb 2008, 12:36
Is there a list of Guild Approved FTOs anywhere?

Try searching some of Flashover999's posts from this time last year. He asked exactly the same question (and look where it got him!) ;)

The Nr Fairy
6th Feb 2008, 13:59
As I recall, there's no list of "Guild approved" FTO's - if you're in Scotland, for example, then select from those good FTOs which are closer to you, then the Guild chooses from your selection.

And on the subject of good, I think a certain Wycombe-only based FTO has had the business for quite a few years.

Floppy Link
7th Feb 2008, 19:19
...if you're in Scotland, for example...

Psychic or what?
Thanks for the info

GOT
21st Feb 2008, 15:41
I haven't read it too careful, but do you have to live in the UK?

MartinCh
6th Mar 2008, 22:02
GOT,

Whaddya think? It's about 'giving chance to someone who truly wants to pursue instructing career in the UK', innit? :-P

Reading previous posts and GAPAN website should suffice in giving you idea.
Nobody says you can't be German or other EU national living in the UK long-term and applying for it should you meet entry requirements, right?

But applying with stating of living outside UK is a non-starter in my opinion.
Guys mention that rotary FI grants were under-subscribed over past years.
That show that people either work on J1 in the US as CFI/I, aren't confident enough to try the 'luck' or just don't meet requirements having £££ hurdles.

Enjoy

Flying Lawyer
15th Mar 2008, 17:00
Deadline for Applications -

Wednesday 9 APRIL

aren't confident enough to try the 'luck'
You're probably right - but not even trying is a guaranteed way of ensuring that it's someone else who get's the luck!

FL

HELOFAN
17th Mar 2008, 14:15
Its a shame its not open to those outside of the country.

Still I think its great that its available.

Good to see more support for helicopter pilots.

HF

Flying Lawyer
28th Mar 2008, 11:03
Its a shame its not open to those outside of the country.

ELIGIBILITY

Applicants do not have to be British citizens.
Although the Guild is a Livery Company of the City of London, it is an international organisation with members all over the world.
There are active branches in Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong.
Applicants do not have to be UK residents.

However, applicants must be available for interview in London on the date specified in the application form for a particular scholarship.
Applicants for the J N Somers ATPL/IR Scholarship must be available for psychometric tests in London, and pilot aptitude tests and interview held at RAF Cranwell, on the dates specified in the application form.
TRAINING

Training must be at a JAA approved organisation.
That may be in the UK or elsewhere.
Except for the J N Somers ATPL/IR Scholarship, applicants submit their preference.
ATPL/IR training is at the most suitable organisation available world-wide, selected by GAPAN.
To date, winners have trained in the UK, America and Spain.I'm a member of the Guild (as are several regulars in this forum) but I'm not involved in the Scholarships scheme - I simply posted details for information.
Full details of all scholarships, and the applicable eligibility requirements, are downloadable from the links I posted above.
If anyone still has a query after following the links and carefully reading the information published, contact: [email protected]

FL

Flying Lawyer
2nd Apr 2008, 06:40
7 days left to apply!

Deadline Wednesday 9th April

HELOFAN
7th Apr 2008, 13:25
Sorry, its the must be available in London for the interview that throws me off.

Does this mean the aplicant is going to be flown there for the interview or must make own means?

If its the latter then again it will be difficult for anyone that needs financial help to get to London for an interview and not really open to them.

Thanks

HF

Bravo73
7th Apr 2008, 13:44
Sorry, its the must be available in London for the interview that throws me off.

Does this mean the aplicant is going to be flown there for the interview or must make own means?

If its the latter then again it will be difficult for anyone that needs financial help to get to London for an interview and not really open to them.

Thanks

HF

You've got to get to London under your own steam, I'm afraid.

The Guild doesn't have the funds to fly in potential interviewees from around the world.

Flashover999
7th Apr 2008, 15:13
Helofan,

If it was me I would at least apply and see if they call you for interview. (The cost of postage is all you need) If you dont get called then there is no worries and you can carry on with your life. If they do call you for interview you know that you have a very good chance of gaining £13,000 plus worth of sponsorship which surely must be worth a trip to London. It would certainly show your dedication to a career in aviation.
One of the pilots who won one of the fixed wing scholarships last year had to come all the way down from Scotland and really couldnt afford the trains or the days away from work but he made it down and never regreted it.

We have all had to make sacrifices and cut backs to get to where we are, the odds are against us most of the time (CAA,Money,Medical,Employers) but the GAPAN odds are very favourable so at least send in the paperwork and give it a punt.

Good luck if you do

Flash

Flying Lawyer
8th Jul 2008, 14:01
And the Winner is ..........

http://www.gapan.org/images/guild-crest.gif

Helicopter Flight Instructor Rating Scholarship 2008

John Bernard Stone

John is a State Registered Paramedic with East of England Ambulance Trust, an Ambulance Service Instructor and an Air Ambulance Instructor who gained his ATPL(H) in 2003. His passion for all things aeronautical started on a visit to Farnborough aged 6 followed by his first rotary flight aged 14. Along with holding gliding licences he now wants the “opportunity to develop …. and pass on my passion and energy for flying to aspiring aviators”. John is training with Helicopter Services at Wycombe Air Park.

The winners of Bursaries, Jet Orientation Course scholarships and the JN Somers ATPL Scholarship will be announced later in the year.

FL

Whirlygig
8th Jul 2008, 15:33
Well done John, congratulations! :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

heliboy999
8th Jul 2008, 15:37
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Very well done. Enjoy the course.

Heliboy999 (AKA Flashover999(Before I got banned!!))

helimutt
8th Jul 2008, 16:37
Sorry to sound pedantic, but did he do the ATPL(H) exams or does he actually hold the licence having gained the pre-requisite elements for actual ATPL issue? If the latter is the case, wouldn't it seem a bit unfair to those who are struggling to gain higher qualifications?

Well done anyway. Not often you get something for nothing in aviation.:ok:

albyskoons
8th Jul 2008, 17:27
Great news after a tiring weekend! :}

Well done John!

:ok:

Staticdroop
8th Jul 2008, 17:48
John,
Well done you'll be an excellent instructor.

B Sousa
14th Jul 2008, 19:40
Sounds like a worthy recipient. But he as an ATP, what does he need an instructors rating for?? Is it different in the UK.

Whirlygig
14th Jul 2008, 23:39
I hope John won't mind me saying, but he's a CPL with ATPL theory.

John, if you DO mind me saying, then you can whoop my ass!!

Cheers

Whirls

B Sousa
15th Jul 2008, 01:06
but he's a CPL with ATPL theory.

We speak a different language. He is either an ATP or he is not? ATPL theory sounds like someone in school who is going to be a doctor someday, just has not taken all the exams. He still is not a doctor.
Where did I go wrong on this......

SASless
15th Jul 2008, 01:23
John might want to pack a lunch and dinner....that would be an all day job!:oh:

EENGHeliboy
20th May 2009, 09:50
Hi Flash

After 3 years I have finally made the shortlist!

I have read with interest, excitement, palpitations your excellent and detailed overview of the GAPAN process. It made me feel a lot more confident about their expectations especially with regards to the brief. So I'd like to thank you very much for taking the time to write it, that was very generous of you. If I win (fingers crossed) or I guess even if I don't there'll be things I would have learned so I'll try to make a contribution if I can think of any other tips. Next year is the last year it runs.

I have a few questions that I would like to ask if you have the time to answer.

I am struggling a little bit as to what to talk about, I was thinking vortex ring or autos. I am a ground instructor so you'd think it would be easy for me! But I want it to be perfect plus my lessons are significantly longer than 10mins usually! I have only been an instructor for just over 9 months and up until now my whole life's ambition hasn't been dependent on my lesson! The only subjects I can talk about with any confidence are aeronautical engineering or aviation based or since you said it does have to be I could go the other way completely and talk about Dyslexia. I am dyslexic so I'm hugely comfortable talking about it. But I'm not sure if that could be seen as a too "soft" a subject? and too much about me - i talk in general terms but i obviously pull from my own experiences?

How much are you expected to know about the Guild? I am a member of the Royal Aeronautical Society, which has strong links but from what you say,there are some real benefits to joining the Guild too.

Finally, I didn't put down Helicopter Services as one of my choices but you make them sound very attractive, they are the most conveniently positioned for me so that makes me all the more interested. If I am successful (crossing my fingers firmly again) can you change your choices?

Thanks in advance for your further help.

cheers

Heliboy

The Nr Fairy
20th May 2009, 12:51
Choose a topic outside aviation - the folks on the interview are pilots / instrucxtors / examiners and will rip you to pieces if you get it wrong - choose a non-flying hobby, something from a previous career, anything but.

They're looking for someone who can present a topic in a readily digestible format, not necessarily someone who's got presenting aviation topics down pat. I took in some pre-prepared sheets (1 each for the panel and a fuller set for me with notes on) and used them to talk through my topic, which was something obscure and work-related.

Do a little bit of boning up on the Guild, but you don't need to be able to recite names of Masters from December 1903 onwards.

For me, Helicopter Services had the attractions of Mike Green (don't know if he's still there) and Leon Smith - in a purely aviation "attraction" way, of course :) and of not being one or two other schools I could have chosen.

EENGHeliboy
21st May 2009, 13:19
Thank you, that's really great help.

I'm got a plan now so I'm fully focused and working on it!

I sincerely appreciate your advice.

thwock
8th Jul 2009, 16:37
Has the winner of the 2009 Fi Scholarship been announced yet ?

heliboy999
8th Jul 2009, 18:28
EENGheliboy. Forgive me but I have only just seen this years postings for the GAPAN shcolarship. I was FLASHOVER999 and have had to change my title to Heliboy999 due to a miscarrage of justice last year and me becoming banned under FLASHOVER999. I wasnt ignoring you, I just didnt see the post.
Anyways, its all done and dusted and I hope that you won. I would have answered the best I could.

For your info, I spoke about the physiology of respiration and the path oxygen takes on its way to the brain and its effects when it doesnt reach the brain. I think it was just a simple and unusual way of explaining a complicated subject and it kept the panel interested for the entire time. I over-ran my time but they didnt notice. lol I had nothing but my hands to wave around. No props or papers. Dyslexia would be a great subject to talk about as it is misunderstood and sometimes underexposed and it would be good to educate, I am Dyslexic as well and wish I had known more about it when I was growning up.

I now have my own school and I am doing ok in this troubled time and it was only possible due to winning the GAPAN. Any other questions feel free and if you dont win make sure you try again next year.

Cheers. HB999

albyskoons
14th Jul 2009, 16:17
No announcement yet??
Congratulations to whoever the lucky winner was.

Senior Pilot
14th Jul 2009, 22:40
From GAPAN Scholarships (http://www.gapan.org./career-matters/scholarships/):

Flight Instructor Rating (Rotary) 2009

The Weetabix Scholarship, covering all direct training and examination costs for the successful candidate as they achieve their Helicopter Instructor Rating.

Applications for 2009 are now closed. Six candidates were called forward for interview on 19th June and the panel were faced with a very difficult tasl in choosing the winner. Thank you to all who applied, and especially to those who attended the interview session, and we look forward to hearing from you again next year.