PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Selection Survey

Flying Lawyer
22nd Jan 2008, 11:32
The Guild of Air Pilots (http://www.gapan.org) recently conducted a survey of airline expectations and requirements for the employment of low hour commercial pilots.

A representative sample of ten UK airlines ranging from large scheduled carriers, regional operators to charter airlines was asked to complete a seven question survey. Seven airlines completed the survey form.

The results give an indication of what these airlines look for in a potential candidate.

AIRLINE PILOT SELECTION QUESTIONNAIRE (http://www.gapan.org/careers/survey.htm)

4KBeta
22nd Jan 2008, 12:36
Airlines commonly require university entrance level education of newly qualified pilots.

What an interesting fact that is, especially after all the Degree vs Training debates recently. Obviously that will not be the decision in every case but it might give some of the pprune readers a little help in which route to follow.

Some airlines expressed concern that many new pilots lack knowledge of commercial operations and/or the realities of the airline career.

Airliners possibly favouring people with previous experience in Air Transport industry? By that I mean people on the ground. Or even having a Air Transport Degree?

Aerospace101
22nd Jan 2008, 13:41
This Survey is over 5 years old. Only 1 out of those 10 airlines is currently recruiting. Yes it brings out some important debates about the quality of airline pilot candidates. Dont use it to make any career/training decisions. The market has changed, it's out of date.

Artie Fufkin
22nd Jan 2008, 13:52
4KBeta, when they say Airlines commonly require university entrance level education of newly qualified pilots.what they mean is education sufficient to be able to get into a University, ie, A levels. They are not stating they require graduates.

4KBeta
22nd Jan 2008, 14:00
I know that...hence the Degree vs Training debate is about going to uni or starting training, I can see why you may of thought I meant graduates and you probally assumed I missed the 'entrance requirements' BUT I didn't :p

And...I did not know the survey was 5 years old so as pointed out, its probally irrelevant now..just says Updated Jan 2008