PDA

View Full Version : Night Flying Chinooks

Maxibon
22nd Jan 2008, 11:09
To those Chinook crews who are taking their wokkas south of Newbury, heading west en route SPTA at night, lights out at low level, would they mind sending a few more over, and lower please. My boys and I love it and its terribly exciting feeling that incoming WHAP of the blades as you head towards us. Plus, it probably keeps up the boring old coffin dodgers that live to whinge in our village. Happy to give you a lat/long for an extra WP for your route!

Keep up the good work!:ok:

talk_shy_tall_knight
22nd Jan 2008, 12:17
Maxibon, your enthusiasm is generally not shared by many of your neighbours. Your lat/long would very quickly become (another) red blob on the map.

wg13_dummy
22nd Jan 2008, 12:21
But it would be fun while it lasted. :}

Maxibon
22nd Jan 2008, 12:23
You're quite right. I take it they've been on the blower already. Shame though, its some of the best flying I've seen for a while.

GPMG
22nd Jan 2008, 12:27
Well please feel free to use the Northern part of Sandhurst as one of you low level routes, it would also give the inmates at Broadmoor something to jabba on about.

Gainesy
22nd Jan 2008, 12:54
There's some sort of Jabba-Wokka banter there but...:)

TTSK Howzabout TQ234280, pref daylight if poss? Your usual track is about a half mile away.

scudpilot
22nd Jan 2008, 17:38
Did I see one over Sandhurst on Sunday, or did I imagine it?:ok:

Chicken Leg
22nd Jan 2008, 20:23
heading west en route SPTA at night, lights out at low level

its some of the best flying I've seen

Bugger! Back to the drawing board! :E

minigundiplomat
22nd Jan 2008, 20:57
There's some sort of Jabba-Wokka banter there but...

Just for the genius of the jabber-wokka line, I'll look up the grid (there is possibly a reason why we give it a stiff ignoring)

Gainesy
23rd Jan 2008, 11:31
MGD, many thanks. If you can, great, if not, understood.:)

Got any Aussie groundcrew on exchange? You could present him with an OckaWokkaChokka'sLocker to keep his kit in.

I'll stop now, promise...

Gainesy
31st Jan 2008, 09:26
Got wired :) at 19.19 last night but it sounded like a Merlin, no blade thump and only about 10sec warning, dogs didn't even wake up, you on leave Diplomat?

The Flying Pram
31st Jan 2008, 11:32
Heard a Merlin call local ATC yesterday morning and advise that they were operating in the area at 100ft and below!

aviate1138
31st Jan 2008, 13:49
Wokkas are welcome South of Farnham any time they like - day or night. GU10 1PX :)

minigundiplomat
31st Jan 2008, 18:01
Ufortunately, Wokkas may be welcome south of Farnham, but Field Marshall, Lord Bramall does not like us anywhere near Crondall, even though it is on the IF pattern to RW10

Monty77
31st Jan 2008, 19:25
Personally, I never had a problem with direct overflight (if inevitable, e.g. late show) of a large country house/Lord Bramall's-stylie gaff as opposed to a village/larger conurbation. Reason being you are more likely to wake up babies/freak people/annoy more by going over the village and irritating more people.

I think any rotary mate reading this will recognize the dilemma of spotting horses with riders at 200 metres. Go steady, stick it on it's ear with resultant blade slap or pull up. I will never tire of seeing low-flying aircraft, especially noisy ones. As long as it over some retired politician's house at the weekend. Kinnock would work for me. Grid ref anyone?

aviate1138
1st Feb 2008, 05:24
The noble Lord who......

on the 27th August 2006 hit Lord Janner, 78, a veteran campaigner for Holocaust victims and a senior member of Britain's Jewish community, after making what witnesses claim were a series of 'anti-Israel' comments during an argument over the Lebanon conflict.......

A military NIMBY, [should be an oxymoron] but sadly too many old f*rts retire and think they control and own all land they can see. :rolleyes:

john50uk
1st Feb 2008, 12:32
NN11 4LE. Would love to see one flying over here, would make a nice change from the police helo which seems to spend alot of time hovering over our estate.:)

Razor61
1st Feb 2008, 12:47
Surprised it isn't hovering over the park near the police station, thats where all the scraps and druggies reside, backing on the polie station wall!!

srobarts
1st Feb 2008, 15:53
Just had a wonderful sight at sunset of a four wokka formation just over the edge of our village in North Hampshire heading back to Odiham. I could feel the sound through my desk chair. Quite made my day.

chevvron
1st Feb 2008, 16:01
minigundiplomat: checked your compass against gyro recently? Crondall is on the IAP to 28 not 10.
Monty 77: want the co-ords for a large house near Wendover?

humpndump
1st Feb 2008, 16:29
SROBARTS

'Just had a wonderful sight at sunset of a four wokka formation just over the edge of our village in North Hampshire heading back to Odiham.'

In the stimulator? :(

whowhenwhy
1st Feb 2008, 16:33
blast, Chevron you beat me to it!

humpndump, nope no simulators, 4 air beaters in formation, did look good coming towards the airfield with the sun setting to behind! :ok: Good work guys, shame the bar was closed because you were back in time

minigundiplomat
1st Feb 2008, 17:21
Glad you enjoyed it as much as we did! End of a long day between Salisbury Plain and Sennybridge.

(No 4)

Self Loading Freight
1st Feb 2008, 18:14
As someone who works just south of Blackfriars Bridge, I second that. There's nothing that wakes up the place like a healthy helping of spicy wokkadom. And whoever decided a few weeks back to do a few tight orbits directly overhead, followed by a hover in all but name - it even woke up the finance department.

I happened to be demonstrating a rather powerful laser device to a workmate at the time, one dollop of "look at this amazing diffraction effect" to one dollop of "never aim it into your remaining eye". Nothing if not responsible, that's me.

"Go on," he said. "See if it'll hit that helicopter thing".

I made up some nonsense about anti-laser missile systems and imminent death, and he went a bit white. Worth every penny, and he won't be suggesting that again in a hurry.

Gainesy
2nd Feb 2008, 10:26
I made up some nonsense about anti-laser missile systems and imminent death,

Well, that's blown the latest super secret "UK Closed Eyes Only" system update.:)

MGD, Wasn't Bramall put back in his box by a previous Staish a few years back?

pulse1
2nd Feb 2008, 10:34
We've had a number of Chinooks flying around in pairs over the Poole area in the last week. Usually followed far behind by a Seaking.

I met a neighbour walking his dog yesterday and he told me he had complained about it. I just told him that they sounded a hell of a lot better than the Russian version and that he should enjoy it.

Gainesy
2nd Feb 2008, 11:59
Sorry Pulse, that conjours up a lovely vision of the dog on the phone to MoD.:)

Daifly
4th Feb 2008, 22:57
There's obviously money in Field Marshalling....

I'm in Basingstoke (I know...) - you always seem to skirt around the southern boundary of our beloved conurbation, then once in a while someone comes wokka-ing across the top, (probably aiming for the delightful yellow block of flats) which is much more fun. And annoys the neighbours.

So, aim for Junction 6 and follow the ring road, it's close enough to worry them...

:E

wokkadriver
5th Feb 2008, 09:50
Just had a wonderful sight at sunset of a four wokka formation just over the edge of our village in North Hampshire heading back to Odiham. I could feel the sound through my desk chair. Quite made my day.

My pleasure:ok:

I can't remember the last time I was in a 4 ship in the UK - felt good though...
One of those 'I can't believe I get to do this' moments!

The Helpful Stacker
5th Feb 2008, 10:08
I must say that having spent my last years in the RAF at the UK's premier helicopter unit I do miss the sound of the wokka.

Being as I worked out of an office near the end of the Odiham runway it was a constant soundtrack to my working days and nowdays, although I live and work in a city, its a little bit too quiet.:(

Talking Radalt
5th Feb 2008, 18:19
I'm in Basingstoke (I know...) - you always seem to skirt around the southern boundary of our beloved conurbation,
VFR route in.
then once in a while someone comes wokka-ing across the top,
IFR route in.

Cmn2644
5th Feb 2008, 21:29
"Blade Slap ... Because jet noise is just boring"

minigundiplomat
5th Feb 2008, 21:33
"Blade Slap ... Because jet noise is just boring"

I'll second that!

APO Dried Plum
6th Feb 2008, 19:20
"Blade slap, because I monged it at Valley......."

Daifly
6th Feb 2008, 20:43
Quote:
I'm in Basingstoke (I know...) - you always seem to skirt around the southern boundary of our beloved conurbation,

VFR route in.

Quote:
then once in a while someone comes wokka-ing across the top,

IFR route in.

Not the IFR levels they were flying at....! :cool:

Talking Radalt
7th Feb 2008, 00:43
Not the IFR levels they were flying at....!
Oh I dunno, an IF approach to 10 puts Basingstoke nicely underneath, and fairly low.

The Nr Fairy
7th Feb 2008, 04:51
If 4 ships are rare in the UK, then it must have been the same one I saw south of Pewsey and too high - were you on oxygen ?

And to take my mind off the yummy mummies at Oare School at pickup time, you could always make more use of the gap between the village and Oare Hill between 1500 and 1530 :)

SpringHeeledJack
7th Feb 2008, 09:07
Talking of disturbing Lords and Ladies, which of you fine chaps was responsible for the 2-ship (?) flight east to west along the Thames last night, 6th Feb around 23.30 local ??? I was at least 4kms away and it got me jumping up out of my slumber to see what was going on http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/smilies/wink2.gif

A lovely sound by the way!

SHJ

FutureIsHelos
8th Feb 2008, 14:32
Nice to know people are happy to hear us that late at night. London was looking as stunning as it always does on Wednesday night. Shame that we had to concentrate on the other aircraft and didnt get to fully enjoy the view.

Pilot Pacifier
8th Feb 2008, 17:57
Looking out of the back of the aircraft, it was simply a stunning view.

Not enough to keep me in though, four months to do...

its the bish
8th Feb 2008, 18:48
Just keep it up chaps no complaints from the locals in my local pub on exmoor, other than being not low enough lately! Nice to hear blade slap again thursday evening down the valley twixt Timberscombe & Dunster. A bit off thread,anyone know what a jet provest was doing round this area tuesday afternoon?

airborne_artist
8th Feb 2008, 19:29
Enjoyed the bit of blade-slap late on Thursday morning, just SW of the secret Oxon helibase. 2 x Chinooks at <500' I'd say. Luckily the grey mare wasn't too surprised by the brief incursion.

SpringHeeledJack
8th Feb 2008, 19:43
Well gents i imagine that a (relatively) LL transit through London at night must be one of the most visually impressive sights to be had, especially with the perspectives afforded by following the course of the river. In the daylight i prefer the contours of the land to man-made vistas.

I don't mind 'tolerating' the sound of the beast as you do an important, yet wholly undervalued job and without practice......:ok:

Future, twas a shame that good airmanship kept you from appreciating the view and PP, you'll miss these moments when you're out!

Fly safe

SHJ

Report Position
11th Feb 2008, 20:59
If any Wokka crews are up at Kinloss for the nightex at the minute I could give you a couple of loc's/coord's in the Highlands for a day or night fly by.

Had one in to Wick today for a fill up, good to see and hear one up close, never had my grubby mits on one before!

Most of the neighbours are sheep but they're so used to tonkas tearing the place up a bit of Wokka Wokka Wokka would be a refreshing change:ok:

Beamish Boy
25th Feb 2008, 11:27
Low flying Chinook over Colthrop, Thatcham this morning. More please!:ok:

shotbelt
25th Feb 2008, 13:19
Can we have some down in Cornwall ? especially PL14 4PJ !!
THE MORE THE MERRIER:ok:

Training Risky
26th Feb 2008, 20:15
And right over my village at the weekend, low as you like.

Flimwell, south of Tunbridge Wells.... more please!;)