PDA

View Full Version : Airbus Start Procedure

mourgo
22nd Jan 2008, 06:41
Can someone tell me whats the difference if you start engine 1 first or engine 2 first. I know some airlines SOP say engine 1 1st and some airlines SOP say engine 2 1st? Does it matter?

mcdhu
22nd Jan 2008, 07:54
Assuming you are talking about the A320 Series, no 2 is started first because it powers the yellow hyd sys which in turn powers the parking brake which should be keeping you where you are at the time.

Cheers,
mcdhu

OutOfRunWay
24th Jan 2008, 20:06
Follow up Question:

on the A330, isnt the no1 started first?

peacock1
25th Jan 2008, 09:48
yes.On the A330 number 1 engine is started first.

Fbwdude
26th Jan 2008, 10:58
Hi to all,
On the A 330 eng 1 is started first cause it powers B hyd thus powering alternate brakes.
Nice flights to you all.

DesiPilot
26th Jan 2008, 13:36
Well, for single engine taxi in 320, # 1 engine is started first as it pressurises the G hyd system (normal braking). Whereas for normal taxi #2 is started first as it pressurises the Y hyd system for parking brakes.

j_swift
29th Jan 2008, 08:12
Well for the A380, the body gear steering is powered by the yellow system and that is in turn powered by no 3 or 4 so we start those first even in a crossbleed start without APU. A380 has only 2 engine driven hydraulic systems with electro-hydraulic backup.:ok:

Dream Land
29th Jan 2008, 14:00
A380 has only 2 engine driven hydraulic systems with electro-hydraulic backup. Very high speed! :ok:

j_swift
30th Jan 2008, 01:33
Yes it is a great design system and it would be used in future airbus aircraft like the A350 as well.:ok:

dartagnan
30th Jan 2008, 12:07
it is NOT advised by airbus to taxi on one engine, so what' s wrong with these airlines'SOPs asking to shut down the right engine after landing?

PantLoad
1st Feb 2008, 03:08
To my understanding, it's true. Both Airbus and Boeing do not recommend single-engine taxi. But, the airlines (a.k.a the customers) have demanded that Airbus and Boeing come up with 'approved' procedures to do this...with the high cost of fuel and all. The aircraft manufacturers have satisfied the airlines with approved procedures...adding the footnote that single-engine taxi is not recommended, but also stating that there is "NTO"....no technical objection. This way, FAA and JAA are happy.

We've beaten this topic to death in previous threads. Is single-engine taxi safe? Does it really save that much fuel (money)? ....the questions go on and on.

At my old carrier (before my retirement), we did single-engine taxi as a 'normal procedure'. That is, unless circumstances and conditions prohibited it (as per the discretion of the captain), single-engine taxi would be performed...both in taxiing out for takeoff and taxiing in after landing. Few problems resulted, as far as I know.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth to the discussion...

Fly safe,

PantLoad