PDA

View Full Version : What low cost airline?

markboyle
21st Jan 2008, 21:08
What experiences have you had with Easyjet, Ryanair, Jet2?

Mine are,
Ryanair, dreadful hub at Stanstead, the layout of the checking in area is chaotic. Flights on time, good value, bad customer handling if luggage is overweight. Poor website.

Easyjet, trolley staff too bossy and aloof, East mids AP a bad experience, flights on time, good value. Poor website.

Jet2, good check in at Leeds Bradford, very efficient, some flight delays, bad customer handling if luggage is over weight, not as good value as the other two. Has the best website for booking.

All the above airports really stick it to you on the prices for parking and refreshments, at least Dick Turpin had the grace to wear a mask while going about his business! :ugh:

pamann
21st Jan 2008, 22:28
Firstly "Stanstead" has no second "a" in it, it's "STANSTED!"

Another pointless thread to give people the chance to sl@g off low cost airlines, it's already been done over and over again. It's Boring! You get what you pay for end of!
:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh: :ugh::ugh::ugh:

TightSlot
21st Jan 2008, 22:59
bad customer handling if luggage is overweight

is mentioned for two of the airlines - might one possible method to avoid such distressing customer handling be not to travel with overweight luggage?

VS-LHRCSA
21st Jan 2008, 23:14
Just what I was thinking Tight Slot.

I hate it whenever staff are trying to uphold a rule, they are portrayed as being unhelpful or rude.

Ryanair can't really make in any plainer - you pack it, you pay for it.

And who may I ask are 'trolley staff'? If you're referring to cabin crew, perhaps you ought to remember what they are really there for. To be honest, calling them 'trolley staff' makes YOU sound aloof. They are quite right to be 'bossy'. They have a job to do.

You can't get your own way at check in, or you can't get your own way in the air. It sounds like YOU have the problem, not the airlines.

MrSoft
22nd Jan 2008, 07:50
Mark, you seem to have walked into something here. Blame the serial posters before you eg. the 22-stone scouser who was kicking off the other week about seat comfort on his 30 minute hop to Dublin. Maybe you misjudged the mood of the board a bit!

You're obviously interested in aviation so persevere, read the board and you'll see that it's best to be an umble sort of a SLF.

To answer your question Mark :

Easy - excellent VFM, excellent product and service. Comfy pax experience
Jet2 - ditto
Ryanair - excellent VFM, excellent product, no service. Avoid out of the way routes as there is no crisis back-up. Not at all comfy pax experience

All 3 use modern equipment.

All 3 radically changed passenger expectations about prompt timekeeping.

All 3 have superb websites, simple, direct and very, very quick. Yes there are hidden traps but really, if you can't untick the odd tick-box then you need your head examining.

TightSlot
22nd Jan 2008, 08:33
Thanks for being more tolerant than I MrSoft - Yours is the post that I should have made.

Possibly I was in latent shock at the trolley staff phrase - I didn't understand what it meant at the time and now I do, I kinda wish I didn't.

:)

markboyle
22nd Jan 2008, 10:45
Hi, is the phrase trolley staff as bad as "self loading freight"?
The bad handling I refer to is the practice of requiring a passenger to walk halfway across an airport to pay for the excess weight then return to the checkin with proof of payment, this is BAD HANDLING, payment at the checkin surely is a possibility?
Expecting passengers on two weeks or more Holiday to take enough clothes and personal items to stay within the airlines small allowance of weight is unrealistic, I accept that excess baggage is payable, I don`t have a problem with the rules but keep it simple!
As regards aloof and bossy try flying with Futura probably the best experience I`ve had, friendly polite staff, nice comfortable aircraft, a mile away from the big three.
Of course they are Spanish, its probably the way they are brought up and trained that makes them so good!

Stanstead Stansted who cares, I won`t be going back.

Oh and Mr soft, I have a genuine interest in aviation as you so astutely recognised, I should have with some 4500 hours in my log book as pilot in command. :ok:

You all missed my positive comments!

MrSoft
22nd Jan 2008, 11:06
is the phrase trolley staff as bad as "self loading freight"?

All about linguistics/useage. Sometimes it's fun to adopt a derogatory nickname, like SLF; personally I think it's very funny. I can imagine a world where cabin crew might ironically call each other "trolley staff" or "trolley dollies" for a bit of bonding. However, you made the mistake of unilaterally coining this nickname for them, which breaks the semantic rules. Perhaps in the way some in the black community have appropriated the insult "n**ger".

Yours before I get into hot water

ProfessorSoft

TightSlot
22nd Jan 2008, 11:12
You all missed my positive comments

Gee I wonder why?

PIC of what, may I ask? Certainly not a large commercial airliner, or the crew that travel with it.

I notice that you are on your PPRuNe probationary period, with two posts to date, both on this thread. You are entitled to your opinions of course, but you will find that taking a few minutes to look and get the feel of previous posts on PPRuNe on this and other subjects will be time well spent. By doing so, you may avoid both misspellings and the taking up of various positions that either cause offence to others or embarrassment to yourself.

Now that you know this, please start again, this time with a little more thought. I'm sure that Stansted is missing your valued custom already - it would be a shame if PPRuNe were to do the same.