PDA

View Full Version : Flight Dispatching

kestrel101
21st Jan 2008, 11:49
Hello I'm new here. As your all probably aware the cost of pilot training is expensive and well the only realistic option for me is to try and save my money. Will be finished a Business course in college in 3 months and have to admit I have zero interest in pursuing it as a career. I would love to work on the ramp/operations anything that I was involved with aircraft and so I found Dispatching which sounds very interesting and exciting. In particular I found Sheffield School of Aeronautics. I'm speaking with a lot of if's here, but if I completed there 6 week course what are my chances of getting a job?. Would it be fair to say that its the same as pilot training in that you pay for your training and then hopefully land yourself a job after much struggle etc. In particular what are the job prospects here in Ireland for Flight Dispatching?

I'm sorry if this has being discussed before but I could not find anything. Thank you for your time.:ok:

Dropline
21st Jan 2008, 15:35
If you want to be an aircraft dispatcher in the UK, you don't need the FAA qualification, and I believe the same applies to Ireland. It's a good thing to have, but it's not essential and you would probably be better off saving the money for your pilot training!

Most dispatchers in the UK work for handling agents, and one of the most common routes into dispatch is to start on check-in or as a loader and work your way up. Most handling agents will be thinking about recruiting staff for the summer soon, so make sure your CV is ready!

The money isn't great but there is usually plenty of overtime available during the summer.

kestrel101
21st Jan 2008, 19:13
Thanks for the reply Dropline.:)

lusthansa
22nd Jan 2008, 14:15
Dear all, I can only speak for Austria (central Europe). If you have a PPL or are just interested in aviation it is easy to find a (bad) paid job as a dispatcher trainee. After one year of OJT you may upgrade to a licenced dispatcher with more income. You learn a lot about aviation and the job is more interesting than ramp agent (I know what I am talking about, I did both ...)

If you are good you may (typically after you have earned your "ATPL - wings") go to the flight operations manager and ask him for an internal upgrade GND OPS --> FLT OPS. Your postholder ground ops will be likely to kill you then but ... thatīs life ;-) ... typically you can expect to have to work 12 - 36 months in GND OPS before your company offers you an internal upgrade provided it is not a company like AirOPS, Munich, Germany is, that only does offer GND services as an external aviation services provider.

Yours sincerely lusthansa

kestrel101
23rd Jan 2008, 14:00
Thanks for the reply Lusthansa, that sounds encouraging I must say. Thanks again.;)