PDA

View Full Version : Escape slide orientation

Hokulea
21st Jan 2008, 08:33
Please forgive me for what might be a silly question, but the pictures of the recent BA accident at Heathrow had me thinking about what I'd do as a passenger if I had to evacuate the cabin after a crash landing.

The escape slides at the rear of the aircraft were more or less horizontal, jumping onto them out of a door wouldn't get you very far, but I believe that's what you're supposed to do if the undercarriage is still there and you're 20 ft above the ground.

I assume these things aren't like bouncy castles, the images that come to mind are a little disturbing if not a little humorous as well if that were the case, but then again they have to be pliable enough to have people jump on them as well as serve as life rafts.

Fortunately I've never had to use one of these slides and hopefully never will, but wondered if those that have experienced these things in training might comment. Can you actually run along these things without losing your footing?

Many thanks in advance.

iain8867
21st Jan 2008, 13:30
You may find that when the under carriage goes on a heavy impact and the crew evacuate the aircraft their commands may be changed from jump to run

"jump on the slide, keep moving" to " stay on your feet, run down" but as most will say an evacuation will never go text book, so always listen and do as you are told if the horrid event happens?