PDA

View Full Version : Question: "overloaded" planes & the rules

Passagiata
20th Jan 2008, 08:28
My apology if this is in the wrong forum or is a stoopid question - I recently flew Aeromexico (domestic flight) on a peak holiday day and my fellow passengers (mostly local) had a HELLUVALOT of hand luggage - some huge pieces, and some were carting three bags on. My seat was just above the baggage loading door and I observed some histrionics on the part of some baggage handlers arguing about some suitcases that were being loaded on their own but that wouldn't fit. The bags were carted elsewhere (out of sight, so I couldn't see) then the baggage compartment door was shut. When the plane took off it felt REALLY heavy, lumbering along the runway and seemed to take ages to get airborne. The air crew gave safety instructions in Spanish but some of the instructions weren't given in English. My question - does overloading matter for take-off, or are fuel economy and the risk of cabin baggage flying round the only reasons for baggage restrictions? Do some airlines break the rules as a matter of course?

AircraftOperations
21st Jan 2008, 14:24
Where was the flight from? If you departed from Mexico City, every departure there is a lumbering one due to altitude.

BOAC
21st Jan 2008, 17:35
Cannot comment on individual flights but ALL lockers have weight (and space!) limits - hence the restrictions.

Passagiata
22nd Jan 2008, 05:37
Thanks for the altitude explanation re the lumbering sensation - yes, it was taking off from Mexico ... but it was not just lockers full: beneath all feet and seats seemed to be stuffed with carry-ons

Midland 331
22nd Jan 2008, 07:52
>beneath all feet and seats seemed to be stuffed with carry-ons

No fun in an evacuation.

I was on an Emirates 727 (yes, they did used to run them) DXB-DEL circa 1991, and the last three rows were taken up with "hand baggage".

(I smiled at a man who was carrying a boxed child's bicycle on board, and he threatened to hit me. I was seated next to an old Indian lady with an injured arm, and, speaking no English, she motioned me to cut up all her in-flight meal for her. The flight ended with a glorious sunrise over India. Memorable. Flying in Europe was never this interesting)

r