PDA

View Full Version : How to fly with Death?

Antti
19th Jan 2008, 22:04
I have one serious question especially for those who have lost (by unnatural death) someone close and is still flying.. Of course others can participate too. Unnatural death I mean an accident, suicide etc. Natural death is something you can anticipate and prepare to.

Do you find hard to be a pilot when you know the pain the relatives etc go through if something happens to you? If not, why? If yes, who do you handle the thought that you might do a simple mistake or have technical failure that can be your last...

For myself, I'm not afraid of being in the accident. I'm a lot more worried about the pain my close ones would have to go through. I have been there so I know how it feels and don't want to my worst enemy to go through that.

If you are not willing to post to this thread, you can always put me a private message.

Thanks in advance!

PS. I know that you can get killed in every day life so you don't have to remind me that.

MSP Aviation
19th Jan 2008, 22:10
PS. I know that you can get killed in every day life so you don't have to remind me that.

That was going to be my answer. The only guilt I feel is in the (future) decision of what type of flying I will be doing.

jolly girl
19th Jan 2008, 22:29
I think it's important to remember those you have lost want you to be happy. If flying is what makes you happy they would want you to continue.

Whirlygig
19th Jan 2008, 22:43
Losing someone close through illness or accident is hard and yes,

perhaps you do need to be reminded of that because I think that is the whole point.

If my father had died suddenly in an accident, he would have been spared a long, painful and terminal illness - which is better? For him? And my family? Death is never something for which you can prepare whether by "old age" or illness. Suicide has its own guilts.

Any family will go through "what ifs", when someone close dies, irrespective of the manner of their death; that's only natural. If you take away risks such as flying and driving and horse riding and riding a motorcycle or hill climbing ...... what are you left with? Knitting?

As for pilots (and anyone else who is in a perceived "risky" occupation), you'll find a lot of black humour!

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/qf/c/PopularMechanics/12-1924/lrg_skeleton_plane.jpg

Cheers

Whirls

havoc
19th Jan 2008, 23:13
Just some thought for your question, these rules work for me and have helped my so far, always willing to learn from others thoughts.

Visit this site and among all the names there are 9 of my friends lost in Iraq and 7 others lost over the years I have been in aviation (1980). Also,6 Air Force friends and 34 others from my base lost in KC-135 accident not listed on this site.

http://armyaircrews.com/

For 2 the feeling after finding out they were killed was "I knew that would happen" and the only thing that got me by was I had brought up to them my concern about their "aggressive" flying. In one case I knew after the fact it was not enough to change their invincibility, it cost him his passengers lives (wife and copilots wife).

The others were weather related, mechanical and pilot error, and enemy fire.

Seeing the greiving families and friends, legal issues afterwards and some rules for me:
1. Do what is right even when no one is around. Lesson learned in 1982.
2. Your only as good as your last flight.
3. Tell the ones you care about how you feel towards them, never leave mad/angry. It may be the last thing they remember. Lesson learned from greiving teenager.
4. Make sure your will/personal stuff is in order, its not for you but does make things smoother for them.
5. Always preflight: free insurance plan. Lessons taught by friends mistakes.
6. If it bothers you that much get out of aviation. You mind needs to be in the cockpit not what-ifing. There was an EMS fixed wing accident last year, not my program but 2 staff members quit after hearing about it. Wait for the final report, Monday quarter-backing does not answer the WHY questions.
7. Improve your position: do things that will eliminate the "I wish I had done that" before flying. Am I ahead of the aircraft.
8 Rule of 3 or gut feeling, listen to my gut about the situtation and the Rule of 3, 3 things going bad not necessarliy related is not a good thing rethink what your doing.
9. My skills and the aircraft capibilities may never match in a given situtation. Avoid exceeding either/both.
10. No one is shooting at me so I do not have to fly, there is someone waiting at home for me. Make the right decision about the flight, never say I will go take a look and launch.
10. (Motivational) Dont become a thread on JustHelicopters .

Not sure if this answers your question?

MSP Aviation
19th Jan 2008, 23:22
Havoc, that's an excellent list for a new(er) pilot. Thank you.

B Sousa
20th Jan 2008, 01:38
Pretty intense topic for a group of Aviators. For those of us who have been flying for many years in things other than the big comfortable flying machines, we have probably known many who have perished. As one with 38 years in Helicopters, I have had many friends go away before their time, probably a few more before I quit, if I am that lucky..
I think we all should realize that we all are dying as these posts hit cyberspace. Its just a matter of Where, When and How. (sounds like a Law Firm)
Some will find out they are terminal others wont know what hit them. Either way I guess the best one can do is try and prepare the family as best is possible if you are the bread winner, if not, it really does not matter.
I look at things and think OK, if I have 10 years, Im happy, now that is probably scary to some here, but Im not a youngster. Seems funny that the older we get the easier things like this are to face. I mean folks send junk mail offering many ways to dispose of your body. Many want you to donate parts ( So that they can make a fortune). Is the Brain dead yet??
Interesting topic for sure.

Fun Police
20th Jan 2008, 02:54
some interesting stuff here, and maybe since you asked the question to begin with you might outlast someone who is too arrogant to even consider it. keep the shiney side up!

A.Agincourt
20th Jan 2008, 04:18
I never worry about something that may never happen, to do so would severely detract from the here and now and under certain circumstances, instigate a hastening of fate.

Best Wishes

Whirlygig
20th Jan 2008, 07:24
I never worry about something that may never happen,

I don't know how to break this to you Agincourt but .... you're not immortal. Like taxes, it will happen! Sorry!

Cheers

Whirls

ShyTorque
20th Jan 2008, 08:21
Yes, there's only two certainties in life and death is one of them (nurses being the other, apparently).

I lost no small number of aircrew friends and colleagues to flying accidents, about eighteen of them at the last count. Three of them as I joined my first squadron almost thirty years ago, due to an accident in Rhodesia. Actually, better make that nineteen. I helped train the Wing Commander shot down in Iraq whilst on a familiarisation flight a while back. Another of them was my best pal, another military aviator doing the same job as me. His wife was a close friend of my wife, still is 16 years on.

I believe that one of the most dangerous things in aviation is an attitude of "it can't happen to me".

However, reasoned caution is the way to go and don't ever be afraid to say "Sorry, can't be done, at least not in this weather or until it's light" if required. Don't get backed into a corner where the only option is to complete the flight.

Farmer 1
20th Jan 2008, 08:36
I think Havoc's Rule No. 3 it the one, especially the never leave mad/angrybit.

So many times I've heard people say the last thing they said to a loved one was said in anger, and now they'll never be able to say Sorry. How many times was this said, and is still being said, in the aftermath of 11 September 2001?

heliski22
20th Jan 2008, 08:47
Havoc/MSP

That's a great list, even for an older and (hopefully) more expereinced pilot. Well said, and thanks!

A.Agincourt
20th Jan 2008, 09:15
Whirlygig:
I don't know how to break this to you Agincourt but .... you're not immortal. Like taxes, it will happen! Sorry!Why on earth did you bother to utter the above? The OP clearly asked a question, to which I have provided an answer from my perspective, as requested. My death may never occur as a consequence of flight. Due to my age and experience I have a high expectation that I shall be proven correct. I doubt you can match my pedigree and therefore could not expect to offer a similar view.

Do you find hard to be a pilot when you know the pain the relatives etc go through if something happens to you? If not, why? If yes, who do you handle the thought that you might do a simple mistake or have technical failure that can be your last...FWIW - I never think off or consider family or friends - past or present - when airborne. Ever.

I think I shall place you in my 'special file to join your familiar. Please do the same to me. Thank you.

Best Wishes

Antti
20th Jan 2008, 09:49
Thanks for the answers! It's all been helpful. :) I hope this thread helps other people too, not just me.

Death is something that you can't understand until it you lose someone close. It stops you and makes you think about things in different perspective. At least that happened to me. But sun is shining and I keep smiling. Life goes on.

Bertie Thruster
20th Jan 2008, 10:18
I believe that one of the most dangerous things in aviation is an attitude of "it can't happen to me".

I totally agree.

Every trip for the last 28 years I've always expected 'it could happen to me'! (when I was in the military, I thought that was what the flying pay was for! Danger money!)

I work hard to be a safe pilot but there are always possible factors over which I could have no control. (eg head or blade failure)

It's always a little thought as I kiss my wife goodbye each morning!

metalman
20th Jan 2008, 10:46
why dont try and get even morbid,if flying frightens you that much dont do it!!!!!!!!??????????????????? for goodness get real and enjoy your life!!!!
Metalman

Bertie Thruster
20th Jan 2008, 11:46
....it doesnt frighten me!

In fact I really enjoy the feeling of getting paid just above the average for doing something relatively simple that is great fun (but potentially dangerous) rather than having to work for a living!

I couldn't imagine earning a living any other way!

But then I'm quite lazy!

metalman
20th Jan 2008, 13:11
there are millions of things that you will find as you go through life that are potentially dangerous, but i guess thats life,we cannot live in a cocoon!
smile and enjoy life and the exiting things that life ehas to offer.:):)
Royston

SASless
20th Jan 2008, 14:12
Having spent most my life either flying or in other risky pursuits and knowing more than a few colleagues who crossed the bar in working attire vice pajamas, I can understand one's concerns about standing on the trap door waiting for the sudden drop.

If one is worried about what others will think upon that happening then perhaps one ought to be more concerned about how people think of him now rather than when one is lying in repose with pennies on his eyelids and folks are looking down his nostrils.

Most folks say nice things about the dead and sometimes they mean what they say.....the key would be to have the same accolades whilst still a member of the herd.

We should fly every flight like it was our last.....because someday it shall be.

Bernouli's what?
20th Jan 2008, 14:21
Agincourt:
Just playing a little devil's advocate here but I really don't think that Whirlygig was suggesting that you would die as a consequence of flight, just that you would die. Eventually.
I must say though, with comments like this:

Due to my age and experience I have a high expectation that I shall be proven correct. I doubt you can match my pedigree and therefore could not expect to offer a similar view.

....it's a good job that arrogance isn't terminal. You wouldn't have long at all!

Bertie Thruster
20th Jan 2008, 14:33
My wife says nice things about me when I buy her presents!

She also flew in a helicopter for the first time a few weeks ago. It was an elderly BO105. As she walked up to the fine old machine she exclaimed.....

"Bloody hell..... it's like a crate with levers!"

She now says I should increase my life insurance!

jolly girl
20th Jan 2008, 15:55
I keep coming back to this string (and it seems, so do a lot of people). It strikes me that most of the posts here discuss externals (such as procedures) or are flip comments, while Antti is really asking us to discuss some heavy stuff. I can identify with his question – my husband went down nine years ago and I really struggled with flying for a while after that. For me, it came down to trust – did I trust the procedures I had been trained, did I trust myself to follow the procedures and (having eaten from the tree of knowledge) did I trust myself and others to forgive me if things went wrong?
Thoughts anyone?

paco
20th Jan 2008, 16:15
I believe that evrey life has a destiny, by which I mean your task may be to go from London to Glasgow, with your choice of route, thus allowing for a limited amount of free will (you can't have too much, otherwise you could screw up a lot of other lives). I also believe that every life has five or six exit points that you can take if you so wish.

The upshot is that Death is not something I worry about too much. I would simply be annoyed that I hadn't finished all the books I want to write!

All the people close to me know my views and I know that they will not be grieving, as I will be waiting for them - one of my requirements at the funeral is a New Orleans jazz band.

Phil

Whirlybird
20th Jan 2008, 16:28
I lost two friends when I was a student, many years ago - one in a rock climbing accident, another in a freak incident involving a gas leak.

Two relatives died at a young age of different types of cancer.

When I was on holiday, a chap dived into a lake and hit the bottom - he was lucky, he survived with nothing but very bad bruising.

On a proposed camel trek (it was abandoned due to poor organisation) two people fell off and were seriously injured.

Several friends have been injured in car accidents.

And yes, I do have two acquaintances who were killed in an aircraft accident too.

And I know several people who've died in their beds of natural causes.

One thing is certain - life is invariably fatal...eventually!!!! What's so special about flying? I ride horses too, and that's much more dangerous; ask any insurance company. But no-one seems to get upset about that, only the helicopter flying.

So no, I don't worry. But since I know I'm not immortal, I try to keep my will up to date and make provision for my nearest and dearest. Just like everyone else.

A.Agincourt
20th Jan 2008, 19:54
Bernouli: Agincourt:
Just playing a little devil's advocate here but I really don't think that Whirlygig was suggesting that you would die as a consequence of flight, just that you would die. Eventually.I am aware that that is the case and which is why I commented as such.

I must say though, with comments like this:

Due to my age and experience I have a high expectation that I shall be proven correct. I doubt you can match my pedigree and therefore could not expect to offer a similar view.

....it's a good job that arrogance isn't terminal. You wouldn't have long at all!I see nothing arrogant in stating the truth. I have been airborne for a long time and have but a few years to go before retirement. Having escaped serious incidents over the many years without injury, I have faith that my luck and judgement will hold out a little longer. But hey ho...........you never know.

Thank you for the input though.

Best Wishes

Antti
21st Jan 2008, 07:48
I think the reason why I started this thread was that I'm too afraid of doing any mistakes and in aviation it can be fatal. Which leads to the pain I would cause to my close ones. I don't know what makes it so big thing because the result can be pretty much the same if you are crossing a street lost in your thoughts without checking is there any cars coming.

Maybe going flying thinking about this might be my last flight is too much to handle for me or I just take it too seriously (can you be too serious?) and be afraid of making mistakes. Maybe I can get over this and continue flying. At the moment I don't want to do it which fine. I'm not forcing myself into anything and I'm hoping that other pilots who have similar kind of thoughts would think twice or more are they able to fly. Maybe you are not worried about dying while flying, but what about your passengers? Are you able to take their lives on your hands?

For those who think that they can't have a fatal accident while flying... Never say never. Unfortunately, there are fatal accidents that are caused by a technical failure where the pilot can only make a mayday mayday -call and hope for the best.

Fly safe and keep up the conversation!

heli-mad
21st Jan 2008, 08:46
Is it middle life crisis that made you ask this:confused: Only joking!

We all do something so not....human, against our nature....ridding the wind!

Leonardo(not DeCaprio) would have been very proud seeing his idea in practice!It's one of the reasons that makes us think of death more often that others.
I dont think it is more dangerous from anything else.... when you play by the rules. The list earlier on in the thread sum's everything nicely. I could only add, do everything in moderation, meaning have a good balance in your life. Be as good as you can in your job,relationship,friendships. Be happy with what you have today and enjoy the journey. Only then you will leave good/happy memories should you leave first.

...we are getting very philoshopical in this forum....:)

Be good:ok:

timex
21st Jan 2008, 11:15
Antti, having just re-read your last post I would suggest if you are really that concerned then perhaps flying is not for you.. you cannot dwell on the what-ifs to the extent that you are not able to do your job.

Jack Carson
21st Jan 2008, 14:28
Some 38 years have past since a Vietnam Veteran helicopter instructor explained to his spanking new student aviator, that two inalienable facts should be embraced in order to fly helicopters:

1. You must believe that your number will never come up.
2. You must believe that you will never ride with some poor sole
whose number will come up.

My wife reminds me daily, to smile, because life is to too short and nobody gets out alive in the end. Helicopters have been good to this sole. Their have been good times and heart aches. But when all accounting is complete, it has been and continues to be a GREAT RIDE!:ok:

ShyTorque
21st Jan 2008, 16:25
Yes, we must keep our sense of humour.

I was once flying with a large box of fish in the baggage bay.
ATC asked how many soles were on board. I had to lie because I hadn't thought to lift the lid and have a look before take off.

But I knew there was an old trout sitting behind me in the cabin.

soggyboxers
21st Jan 2008, 17:28
There's no point in worrying about it as it will either happen or not. Some die young, some die old, some in their beds asleep and some in their cockpits screaming I think (though I may be wrong) that my chances of shuffling off this mortal coil in a car accident are more than dying in a flying accident, but that doesn't stop me from driving anywhere. Everything is more dangerous than staying at home, but many deaths every year occur in the home, so maybe I should move to a tent in the park :}. Many of my friends over the years have died in aviation accidents and when I was a young student I remember a nasty accident with a Whirlwind, where the pilot was thrown out of the cockpit and found dead in a bog where he'd landed head down. After that I painted DIG and HERE on the soles of my flying boots, lest the same fate should befall me :eek:. Nowadays, more of my friends are dying of disease and old age, as reflected by my moving closer to my sell-by date. Life is an invariably terminal disease but as none of us has any idea of when our how our own termination will come it's just depressing to dwell on it (and might just make you end it all so you can fulfil your own prediction of the precise date and time!).
Happy flying

Devil 49
21st Jan 2008, 19:06
I guess I look at this from a different aspect. I'm a Vietnam vet. One of the accommodations some make in combat goes beyond accepting mortality- I realized that not only could I be killed in spite of skill and every precaution, there were going to be situations where survival was all luck. I saw a guy take one hit and one hit only, on his first day as a Cobra pilot in country- right between the eyes. I've looked down an elevated highway to see an oncoming truck's driver losing the battle to regain control as he he crossed and re-crossed my lane in an effort to keep from hitting me or going off the edge, into the trees- all luck.
Death doesn't have to be that dramatic: I aspirated an aspirin- or I guess I should say I partially aspirated an aspirin, once. Anyhow, there was a second or two where I couldn't breathe, I was alone and miles from anywhere and I remember thinking "That was stupid!"
I believe in taking every practical precaution. I try not to go where a supply of luck could run out- I don't take unnecessary chances.

I've buried friends, a father in law, father, a daughter, and a grand-daughter. There's no way to prepare for the grief, even long anticipated loss. It's a very real and intense physical and emotional syndrome. I believe that making one's own preparations is the only honest and loving way.

Like the man says, live every day as though it was going to be your last. Someday you'll be right. Every day I wake up is a gift.

metalman
21st Jan 2008, 23:03
why don't you guys dwell on living? you would be a lot more relaxed and maybe even start enjoying life,instead of waiting for your time to come, it'll come one day thats for sure,so i say again stop worrying and stop trying to justify your worrying.
metalman:rolleyes:

ShyTorque
21st Jan 2008, 23:12
You're right. Next time I go flying I'm not going to check NOTAMS, weather OR even do a walkround.

There. Why worry?

MidgetBoy
21st Jan 2008, 23:13
Simple answer: If you knew the person who died in an accident and they were obviously close enough for you to ask this question because your heart was uneasy about flying, ask yourself this, would that person who died want you to stop flying just because something happened to them?
Odds are, it was a pilot error on their part, I don't think they want you to quit flying because they made a mistake.
However, I do believe when you hit that golden age of 60, just go in to the Transportation office and hand in your license. It's the age to stop and retire a passion, if not, atleast fly with someone else who is capable of landing an aircraft too.

John Eacott
21st Jan 2008, 23:14
There's no point in worrying about it as it will either happen or not. Some die young, some die old, some in their beds asleep and some in their cockpits screaming I think (though I may be wrong) that my chances of shuffling off this mortal coil in a car accident are more than dying in a flying accident, but that doesn't stop me from driving anywhere.

After 42 years of driving aircraft, I still find it faintly amusing that whenever I mention using my motorbike the inevitable reaction is "do you have a death wish" :p

HELOFAN
21st Jan 2008, 23:49
D, D Man, Death or Mr Death depending on how close you are and much respect you have for him, should be kept at a distance but closer than your friends when flying I suppose.

Bear him in mind that he may be on the next flight with you but then again so are the angels that always keep an eye out for you on every flight.
Do the best you can the safest way you can & dont give him room for a seat LOL

If its on your mind all the time, maybe you shouldnt fly at all.

Like many here I too have lost close ones by way of aviation mishaps.

IT happens, thats life.

I joined the ranks when I was 14 when my Dad (helo's) made his last flight.

He showed me what flying is & what it means to follow your dreams and how you are the only one that can deny you from living your dreams.

Follow your dreams, dont let fear hold you back, use your judgement & listen to your heart & above all .. safety first.

He loved what he did & went doing something he loved, cant ask for a better way to go.

He would not be mad at me for flying helo's, but he would be madder than a cut snake for being afraid of ending up like him, not living my dreams and giving it my best shot.

I dont have a death wish, I have a life wish... thats why I fly.

I keep it some where, under control and in its place.

HF

Bernouli's what?
22nd Jan 2008, 06:33
Apparently, you are statistically more likely to be struck by lightning and killed playing golf than in an aircraft accident (although saying that, I don't know of anyone who's kicked the bucket on the fairway, yet too many who've gone to the crewroom in the sky. Who makes up these statistics?) I reckon if the Grim Reaper had ever watched me play, he'd have put me out of my misery long ago!
I don't think about it unless it happens to someone I knew and even then it doesn't cross my mind to give up flying. If we gave up everything that was dangerous, there would be nothing to read about in the papers or watch on telly! I fly because I love it and it makes me happy. If I die happy, doing something I love 20 years before my time, is that not better than dying dribbling and reeking of wee in a care home?
Don't think about it, maintain a sense of humour (you'll need it), and always stay within your limits. Life really is too short to worry about how it's going to end!
Now, can we get back to some petty bickering? Someone start an argument!;)

212man
22nd Jan 2008, 06:52
Well, I hope I go peacefully in my sleep (unlike the screaming passengers in the back :E)

Whirlybird
22nd Jan 2008, 07:00
Now, can we get back to some petty bickering? Someone start an argument!

With pleasure, as it happens!!

MidgetBoy,

However, I do believe when you hit that golden age of 60, just go in to the Transportation office and hand in your license. It's the age to stop and retire a passion, if not, atleast fly with someone else who is capable of landing an aircraft too.

You can believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden if you like. And it doesn't bother me. Your statement above is equally ridiculous. I'm 59, mate. I've passed every medical - 6 monthly till recently, remember - with flying colours. I haven't been to a doctor with anything wrong in...about 10 years I think. I haven't even had a cold for longer than I can remember. I'm a Mensa member, and my brain works as well as it ever did - which was probably better than yours. I'm a current instructor, so I think my reactions are probably faster than they were many years ago - from practice, because students try to kill me rather frequently. :(

So please, please tell me, kiddo.....in a few short months when you think I should take some young, inexperienced, and probably unhealthy beer-swilling-and-fags-smoking whippersnaper with me to land my twitchy little R22 if necessary......just who on earth should I trust more than myself???????:confused::confused:

Gloves off, argument commences!!!!!! (Yes, I know it's one we've had many times, but who cares?) I'll meet you at dawn, MidgetBoy; choose your weapon. Oh, and I should mention I have a very logical brain, great ability to express myself in words, and the staying ability of the average terrier, so I don't lose arguments unless I want to. :D

(But I am away for the next two days, so you have lots of time....Byeeee ;))

metalman
22nd Jan 2008, 07:19
God, the times i have heard that old chesnut,"the student is trying to kill me" they havent yet, and the chances are they won't, that is if you stay awake,meanwhile keep taking their £100 per hour that will make you feel better.won't it?????
Metalman

heliski22
22nd Jan 2008, 10:32
John Eacott

I was reading through the posts and just blurted out laughing when I read yours about the motorbike!!!!!!

Well said and 'nuff said!!!!!!

ShyTorque
22nd Jan 2008, 10:48
MidgetBoy; choose your weapon.

Midgetboy, whatever you do, DON'T choose handbags, or you're certainly about to experience "flying with death". :E

You're on your own, boy.

p.s Watch out for the crafty swipe to the jugular ;)

manfromuncle
22nd Jan 2008, 12:31
Metalman,

£100 per hour for an instructor?! I wish. If you think it's so cushy being an instructor, try it in the UK for a while, then we'll talk. That's providing you haven't been hospitalised with rickets in the meantime.

Agaricus bisporus
22nd Jan 2008, 12:43
I thought the PPRuNe way of dealing with death was to put "RIP" at the end of your post...

:ugh:

AOA2007
22nd Jan 2008, 14:09
A Sky Slow to Forgive

Do not shed a tear for me
For I would not for you
Instead just drink a beer for me
And know well that I knew

Dreams of flight do not come free
There comes attached a price
And we do not do it blindly
We know we roll the dice

Before you sail into the sky
A sky slow to forgive
Answer am I, afraid to die?
Or just afraid to live?

So if you try, to reason why
When fate can seem unjust
We take these risks not to escape life
But to stop life escaping us

Bertie Thruster
22nd Jan 2008, 15:06
MidgetBoy;

Why do you beleive that?

Regards, BT

metalman
22nd Jan 2008, 16:01
whats rickets got to do with anything????? one other thing, what's "cushy" about it??? stop being a "prima donna" you chose to do it,if you dont like it,you have another choice,either get out or try fixed wing instructing for £12/15 per a hour,believe me that will focus your mind!!!!
metalman:rolleyes::rolleyes:

ShyTorque
22nd Jan 2008, 16:04
Can rickets give short term memory loss, which results in the sufferer doing things twice?

Whirlygig
22nd Jan 2008, 17:00
It's a game of "Spot The Difference". I win!!! What's my prize metalman? £100 an hour?

The difference being " :rolleyes: not" in the first post!!! Alters a whole meaning!

Cheers

Whirls

Dan Reno
22nd Jan 2008, 17:10
Perhaps your best bet is to check in with the MILITARY AIRCREW folks who are in the business of killing and being killed while flying. Civilians don't knowingly fly where bullets and rockets share the same air space.

metalman
22nd Jan 2008, 17:18
I give up,cannot have a converstaion with someone who is unable to make a modicum of sense!!!!
Metalman

metalman
22nd Jan 2008, 17:27
your answer does'nt ,make a lot of sense, i did'nt say that you should fly irresponsibly!!did I??????
Metalman:\

ShyTorque
22nd Jan 2008, 17:43
Rickets no better, then??

Antti
23rd Jan 2008, 06:02
Keep the thread clean, thanks. := You can fight your fights in private. :ouch:

Farmer 1
23rd Jan 2008, 07:13
THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF JAKE THACKRAY

I, the under-mentioned, by this document
Do declare my true intentions, my last will, my testament.
When I turn up my toes, when I rattle my clack, when I agonise,
I want no great wet weepings, no tearing of hair, no wringing of hands,
No sighs, no lack-a-days, no woe-is-me's and none of your sad adieux.
Go, go, go and get the priest and then go get the booze, boys.

Death, where is thy victory? Grave, where is thy sting?
When I snuff it bury me quickly, then let carousels begin -
But not a do with a few ham sandwiches, a sausage roll or two and "A small port wine, please".
Roll the carpet right back, get cracking with your old Gay Gordons
And your knees up, shake it up, live it up, sup it up, hell of a kind of a time.
And if the coppers come around, well, tell them the party's mine, boys.

Let best beef be eaten, fill every empty glass,
Let no breast be beaten, let no tooth be gnashed.
Don't bother with a fancy tombstone or a big-deal angel or a little copper flower pot:
Grow a dog-rose in my eyes or a pussy-willow
But no forget-me-nots, no epitaphs, no keepsakes; you can let my memory slip.
You can say a prayer or two for me soul then, but - make it quick, boys.

Lady, if your bosom is heaving don't waste your bosom on me.
Let it heave for a man who's breathing, a man who can feel, a man who can see.
And to my cronies: you can read my books, you can drive around in my motor car.
And you can fish your trout with my fly and tackle, you can play on my guitar,
And sing my songs, wear my shirts. You can even settle my debts.
You can kiss my little missus if she's willing then, but - no regrets, boys.

Your rosebuds are numbered;
Gather them now for rosebuds' sake.
And if your hands aren't too encumbered
Gather a bud or two for Jake.

Says it all, I think.

R.I.P., Jake.

Agaricus bisporus
23rd Jan 2008, 09:01
Oh for Chrrissakes leave out the inappropriate RIPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!