PDA

View Full Version : Starting out?!

Ricky Gowler
19th Jan 2008, 12:55
Afternoon guys,

I have been thinking about following a career in flying for some time now, It has been a hard choice wither to fly helicopters or planes. I decided to choose planes for several reasons, price, choice of training centres and careers, I have a frield who is a pilot who flys helicopters from east Mids to edinburgh and to the continent. I feel because i am still fairly young i can make my way through the ranks to get where i want, which is doing something like my friend. I understand the first stepo is PPL and then all the add ons like flying in advers weather. I was thinking of doing my Microlight NPPL first to get to grips with it all but i am not sure. My pilot friend keeps on telling me to go Helicopter but i strongly lean towards the light aircraft.

Sorry for the essay but can anyone help with some sound advice.:confused:

isi3000
19th Jan 2008, 15:27
You should probably try a test flight for both helicopter and light aircraft and see which one you enjoy the most :}

Whirlygig
19th Jan 2008, 15:39
You should probably try a test flight for both helicopter and light aircraft and see which one you enjoy the most

That's easy! It'll be the helicopter!!!

However, I can't imagine any helicopter pilot recommending rotary training and career over and above fixed wing; it is, overall, about three times more expensive and does not pay anywhere as much as fixed wing except, maybe, North Sea for which you'd require an Instrument Rating - that alone would set you back about £30k after all the other training.

However, I wouldn't recommend doing a microlight NPPL - just go straight to PPL(A).

Cheers

Whirls