PDA

View Full Version : Starting to pull out my hair!!!

CPAM00
18th Jan 2008, 23:31
I went for an interview and sim for a particular company, was told I did well and that I would be contacted. I haven't been. I haven't got a yes or a no. Then I have applied to literally EVERYWHERE!! All airlines and corporates, and most air taxi companies, but nothing. I don't mean to pull the sob story on anyone, just some help and advice. I have been applying for a job for more than a year now. Some pilots (in fact most) complain about salaries, but I don't care really. I just want a pilot job. I have been told I am a good pilot and can fly well. I have the determination and the stamina, but not getting jobs even being told that I passed, I just don't understand.

I was going to start an FIC course but since I have many single-engine hours (due to various reasons mainly much pleasure flying), I have been told this will not help me to get a job easier. Most jobs require ME IR. This is why I know I have the minimums for air taxi work. Look if anyone knows of any job please pm me. I can then give you specifics about my hours.

Cheers :ok:

JB007
19th Jan 2008, 09:55
....was going to start an FIC course but since I have many single-engine hours (due to various reasons mainly much pleasure flying), I have been told this will not help me to get a job easier. Most jobs require ME IR.]

Would it be correct to assume you DON'T have a Multi/IR?

ME/IR/MCC will be required, certainly by all airlines and Corporate Operators, and probably most Air Taxi companies...

I'm afraid it does seem to be the norm these days, which we just accept (but then what can you do about it!) that most companies you apply to either won't reply or keep you hanging..we've all been on the end of that one!

CPAM00
19th Jan 2008, 11:57
I do have a multi IR and I have got an MCC. I have a JAA CPL licence.

What I meant by "Most companies want multi IR" is companies aren't interested in someone raking up single engine hours. They are interested in pilots with multi time and IR time.

adverse-bump
19th Jan 2008, 18:16
you should be worried about what you will be payed, otherwise this hole industry will get ****** up!

try the FI, thats what i did, then air taxi, now with an airline.

CPAM00
19th Jan 2008, 18:31
You misunderstand me.. When I say I don't care about what I will be paid, I mean I am not fussed if I get paid £18000 pa or £24000. A lot of pilots want to be paid a minimum of £30000. So that is what I mean about not worrying too much about my salary!!

As for an FI career, yes I was going down that route but then was told since I have quite a few hours on the SE already that single engine time won't help me. ;)

Tootles the Taxi
19th Jan 2008, 21:47
As for an FI career, yes I was going down that route but then was told since I have quite a few hours on the SE already that single engine time won't help me. ;)

Experience as an FI will hopefully give you a lot more than just hours; a number of former instructors have acheived airline employment, in part, because of their training background.

JB007
19th Jan 2008, 23:10
CPAM00

I would have to say. you are been given alot of duff gen mate!

An FI Rating is a proven and credible route. Forget the number of engines! It was a very big "plus" point with the turbo-prop operator I started with...

rjay259
20th Jan 2008, 11:59
CPAM00,

I went the FI route and to be honest it gave me a very good basing in being able to handle and react to many situations.
I currently fly the B738 and it is great to hand fly but in the commercial world you dont do it to often but when you do being able to nail power settings, aircraft pitch and speed while hand flying i dont think would have been as good as if i didnt become an FI.

Airlines dont just look for pilots they look for those who will move up through the ranks to become trainers, management pilots (god forbid)only kidding)). So bring to the company someone who is alreadu well versed in the training side of life is a very big benifit.

Hope that gives a bit more of a helping hand, if it doesn't then just ignore me.

Good luck.

horsebox
20th Jan 2008, 12:53
Cpam,

FI is a well trodden path for a reason, there is more to it than just building SEP hours. Its a stepping stone, albeit onto the bottom rung, but you will get paid to fly, you will meet people, possibly a few that already work for airlines, there is alot of satisfaction in teaching, your skills will improve, the money is modest, but it is possible to make a living and enjoy yourself at the same time.

You may meet up with a twin owner who will trade a couple of hours flying in return for a bit of pilots assistant work on a longer trip.

If its at a larger or progressive school there maybe an opportunity to get some twin time. At least one big school in this area feeds instructors into the parent companies AOC operations.

Big shortage of instructors at present.

dartagnan
20th Jan 2008, 17:48
Instructing is also a hell of a lot of fun!

oh yes, specailly when you are paid peanuts and living in a caravan so you can afford some nutella for your bread...

this is the main reason why people discontinue to instrust , it pays hell...

Nichibei Aviation
22nd Jan 2008, 09:41
If you have not been contacted, you should contact them yourself immediately!!
Some airlines don't give replies and wait for their candidates to call them by themselves.
A little secret on how many airlines go to work: They put everybody on a waiting list and wait till 2 weeks prior to start of the training to pick the best ones and contact them.
The point of calling them is to take away from them the luxury of waiting to contact you when they make the final choices, as they will fear that the candidate that is calling may have received an offer from another airline. Calling them puts alot of pressure on them, and they will unavoidably give you some priority.
Otherwise you'll stay on that waiting list forever.

If they give you a NO, it's a NO and you should move on, do thank them though, you never know (a know of a guy who was told afterwards that there had been "a mistake"...Oh well he did give them the finger, as he got a better job elsewhere)
If they give you a YES, ask them the next proceedings politely without getting excited, but do show you are happy with their decision.

1013 with altsel
25th Jan 2008, 11:27
Instructing worked for me, and around 25 of my friends and people I met on the way ! I worked for a flying school in Liverpool that paid a salary, so we all got paid if we flew or not! This was great because in the summer we flew all day long and in the winter we would help out with the Aoc and jobs around the flying school!

instructing gives you skills such as:

capacity - confidence- experience - people skills etc.

I now fly a large turboprop for a regional airline and love it! every instructor that I have worked with or been instructed by is working for an airline !!

IT WORKS !

My airline interview questions were all about my instructing and how it had benefited me!!

The choice is yours!

best of luck !