PDA

View Full Version : EC-120 TR done!

perfrej
18th Jan 2008, 11:08
Just finished my type-rating on EC-120 - some notes and comments.
It is my first type with clock-wise rotating rotor, and the only "thing" I had with that was the fact that the tail is pushing the machine to the left. Coming from the opposite scene, where a compensation of right drift has become second nature, this made me wander slightly to the left. I guess I'll get used to it, though. Pedal directions was not an issue as I had feared it would be.

Now, that fenestron is something else. I find it requiring constant adjustments to a much greater extent than I'm used to, especially in low hover. Maybe the main rotor is a bit "messy" close to the ground. Even small pedal inputs require massive effort as the thing is extremely heavy to pedal. Apart from the small pedal adjustments in hover, intended yaw manouvers require a lot of pedal travel. Again, something to get used to and maybe some time at the gym.

The general "layout" of the pilot environment is good. I would, however, like to request larger instruments, especially the altimiter which requires a magnifying glass when setting the QNH... Why, why, why?

Switches appear not so immune to wear. Toy stuff, kind of.

One great thing is the presence of hydraulic accumulators on each servo. They last long enough to establish a pleasant speed for flying without hydraulics. Said flying was surprisingly easy to accomplish and didn't require massive amounts of force to control.

Some say it autorotates slightly better than a piano. I disagree. Full autos where very nice and failrly easy to get right.

Simulated tail control failure to full landing was not that bad either.

I find the vibrations at high speed to be a sad story. Apparently they can track them well for either high or low speeds, and this machine is mainly used for power line inspections. Hence, it is good in the low speed parts of the envelope.

Performance is not that great, but I guess that depends on what you intend to use it for. Most people say it is great for PAX transport, but I would argue that a good old Longranger is better. If you fuel up the EC-120 and fill all the seats there isn't much left for baggage. All passengers are in front of the mast, counteracted only by fuel so you can guess what happens if you have heavy passengers and become low on fuel. The cyclic has fairly small travel towards the aft which is definately a problem in that scenario.

Anyway, apart from the fact that the first few hours were spent in southerly winds of 25G35, it was a very nice experience and I will probably become friends with the machine given some time.

All the best from a not so wintery Sweden.

/p

Efirmovich
18th Jan 2008, 21:48
Perfreg, I should revisit the W+B page in the hand book?? I think you will find if you have five PAX and AUW say around 1400kg prior to taking fuel and within the MAUW after fueling you will still be within the longditudinal CofG when running on fumes ? .................Mind you the stick will be somewhere near your knackers!!:eek:

E.

GOT
18th Jan 2008, 22:24
perfrej,

will you work at ostermans?

perfrej
18th Jan 2008, 22:32
Efirmovich: Yes, I did the calculations and it will be possible if you stay off the beer ;)

GOT: PPL(H), no can work... Just for fun ;) And you must have seen the weather at Säve wednesday and thursday... Nice and windy!

/p

GOT
19th Jan 2008, 10:17
perfrej,

Just for fun haha =) I envy you! Starting my own PPL(H) in 2 weeks!

Yes it has been quite windy for a while, not to speak about today!

TiPwEiGhT
19th Jan 2008, 16:30
The EC120 is a nice machine, have been flying it for a few years now. The CofG issues with it, is simply the cabin is forward of the mast, unlike your 206's and the like. Adding fuel and/or cargo to the aircraft does not do much, if anything, to the CofG as the tanks are under the mast, above and below the cargo bay. So long as you are careful and know what your cabion weight limits are, you'll be fine. Generally I fly it about with 2/3 pax and some bags and can usually get 2 hours flying time plus reserve.

A comfortable and tidy cabin, but it can get a bit rough at high speeds. As mentioned it depends what speed range your machine is tracked for. But it can fly nice at high speeds if set up for it.

The fenestron demands alot of power in the hover, and you do have to do alot of work with the old feet, you'll get use to this though. We had some problems in the early days with the VEMD/FLI tripping out, I believe a software update can sort this, I stand to be corrected.

I like it, sure is more comfortable then JetBanger and am able to walk away from the aircraft after a days flying.

TiP

GOT
22nd Jan 2008, 05:35
perfrej you got PM.