PDA

View Full Version : Strange question... HELP !!!

Trevor Macken
18th Jan 2008, 03:15
Hi All,

This is my first post so please be patient. I have done what mod Scroggs has said and searched the DB but to no avail so here goes:

It was April 2004 I was on an extended annual family holiday to Florida after been made redundant from a job I was in for 9 years. Despite this set back I was in jovial mood and decided after a week on the beach to do a trial flight at the local flight school. I did the flight with a youngish Norwegian gent and it was fantastic, actually it was better than that so much so I booked a second. After the second flight the flight instructor recommended that if I was going to do any more flying I should probably get a student pilot licence and a medical from the F.A.A. which sounded like a lot of hassle but suprisingly all this was completed within 48hrs... As this was a family holiday I had ABSOLUTELY NO INTENTION of doing P.P.L exams and just continued to fly for the pure fun of it. Upon leaving FL I had amassed nearly 40 hours of flight with about 7 hours Solo... What you have to understand at this point I didn't have any plan's to continue flight training due to pressures of family life and obviously the financial pressures in such a venture.

Now I'm in a completely different position. I can afford to part personally finance my ATPL's alongside a little assistance from the bank. My question's are as follow's:

A) Can I use the hours I built up back in '04 to go towards my PPL if I take the modular route or do I have to bin them and start again ?

B) Has anyone completed the JCC programme at BCFT ? If so please either pm me your experiences or post below.

Thanks for your help.:cool:

T.M.
Bucks

BerksFlyer
18th Jan 2008, 16:54
How could you have flown solo if you didn't have a PPL?

coodem
18th Jan 2008, 18:08
Dont all Training PPL's get to fly solo as part of the licence requirement.

As you did your training in the US I am guessing it was under FAA and not JAR, so as you never completed you have no licence to convert.

I am assuming you want to do your licence in the UK under JAR, and therefor you are going to have to start from scratch.

Check the FAA route, FAA might except the hours, and therefore you could get an FAA PPL in lets say 20-30 hours, then convert it to UK.

If I were you I would start from scratch, the extra hours could be used to hone CPL and IR skills

Martin1234
18th Jan 2008, 18:33
From the top of my head I think that Lasors state that you can use up to 10 "non UK" hours for the issue of a PPL. So if you go for a UK JAR PPL it can be reduced by 10 hours.

If you go for an FAA licence all of your hours should be able to be used. If possible it's probably best to go back to the school where you did the training as you are familiar with that airspace, procedures etc. I doubt that you need as much as another 30 hours, unless you "skipped" parts of the syllabus back in 2004.

Good luck.

BerksFlyer
18th Jan 2008, 20:00
Dont all Training PPL's get to fly solo as part of the licence requirement.

For sure once everything has been done and you do your first solo in order to pass, but I don't think the OP got that far? Unless I'm mistaken?

Whirlygig
18th Jan 2008, 21:10
Upon leaving FL I had amassed nearly 40 hours of flight with about 7 hours Solo...

This level of experience sounds quite normal to me; a number of solo hours have to be completed as part of PPL including solo cross-country flights. I'm afraid you're mistaken.

Cheers

Whirls

Trevor Macken
19th Jan 2008, 00:33
Firstly, many thanks for all your informative responses. Berks, I was allowed to fly a C152 Solo both in circuits and on a least two occassions +10miles from the Airstrip...

TelBoy
19th Jan 2008, 00:42
Just a thought T.M

If you are NOT a US citizen then I assume you were on "holiday" in the US on visa waiver. To take flight training without an M1 visa and TSA clearence is not good in the USA.

If you now decide to go back you will need to go through the checks and if it comes out about no visa or TSA, you are likeley to be excluded from travel to the USA for life.

If of course you are a US citizen then the above does not apply and an FAA licence is probably your best bet anyhow.

Whatever happens, good luck and enjoy every flight.