PDA

View Full Version : The closure of RAF Leeming?

inglebyboro
17th Jan 2008, 08:16
Anybody know of the current plans for RAF Leeming? With 25 Sqn departing in a few months, leaving 100 & AEF, are the MOD looking again to put Typhoons into XE?

Cheers

Up the Boro

dallas
17th Jan 2008, 08:24
I thought at least TCW were going there from Brize - it's ideal for their frequent deployments around the world...out of Lyneham and Brize.

That was a while ago though and common sense might have filtered up?

Tocsin
19th Jan 2008, 07:37
Last bit I saw (in the press, not internal!) was that Leeming was also to get a Typhoon Sqn - to train the Saudis!

themightyimp
19th Jan 2008, 18:28
You will find that 90 Signals Unit (of which TCW is a part) is moving there; so is the A6 hub.

Reds anyone? :mad:

Tim McLelland
19th Jan 2008, 19:57
There's still much talk of a couple of Typhoon squadrons being based there eventually, including 6 Squadron which may still become the Saudi training unit. As for the Reds, I wouldn't be surprised if they also move there. I asked RAFAT people about this last year and they said that all the gossip about Leeming being unsuitable just wasn't true, and they could transit back to Scampton to practice, etc.

Now that Sir Glenn has told the press that he hopes or expects the Reds to stay somewhere in Lincolnshire I guess it must be almost certain that they'll move to Yorkshire...

Green Flash
19th Jan 2008, 20:37
Transit back to Scampton to practise? Plenty of MOD land to play with before they get to Lincoln. What about Strensall ranges, east of York? Mahoosive tract of lowland heath with a rifle range in one corner. Apart from changing all the sheep (and golfers!:}) to Red or Blue there's bags of room. Even get the pongos used to fast air wazzing overhead!