PDA

View Full Version : SAAF Pilatus Crash

AirwayBlocker
17th Jan 2008, 05:56
Just seen on News24

Air Force grounds fleet

2008-1-17 07:18

Johannesburg - The Air Force (SAAF) has grounded its fleet of Pilatus Astra PC-7 MkII aircraft following the death of a pilot in a plane crash on Tuesday.
The fleet would remain grounded until further notice, South African National Defence Force (SANDF) headquarters said on Wednesday.
The SANDF has named the pilot killed in the crash as Lieutenant-Colonel Chris Meiring, 58.
He was piloting a Pilatus Astra PC-7 MkII en route to Air Force Base Langebaanweg for routine maintenance.
The aircraft went down outside Bredasdorp shortly after take-off from the Air Force's Test Flight and Development Centre at noon on Tuesday.
Meiring was survived by his wife Anna and two daughters, Tanya and Melissa, said SANDF spokesperson Colonel Danie van der Westhuizen.
Funeral details had not yet been finalised. He said the decision to ground the entire fleet was made following the convening of a board of inquiry into the crash.

SAPA

Arcla
17th Jan 2008, 08:48
I had the privilege of flying with this fine Gentleman while he was at CFS Langebaan. He was an aviator of the highest caliber and a wonderful person. My condolences to his wife and daughters.
May he RIP...

pointer41
17th Jan 2008, 09:00
Also knew Chris, dedicated, professional and a fine guy. RIP, and condolences to family. It is truly tragic.

groundfloor
19th Jan 2008, 11:14
Funeral monday 11am, I will be in the pointy end and raise a cuppa to a good man, followed by beer later. Maybe a good time to think of all our other friends.....

Pitot Probe
26th Jan 2008, 01:04
I agree, he will be sorely missed.

Condolences to the family.