PDA

View Full Version : Continental, EDI-EWR

timboab
16th Jan 2008, 21:11
Hello Everyone!!!!!!!

Hope I am asking this question in the correct place-If not I am apologizing in advance.

I am looking for some information.

I am travelling from Edinburgh-Orlando (with a stop at Newark) and would like to know if anyone knows the following.

a) The direct flight from EDI-MCO has a stop at EWR, at this stop I do not change planes but do I have to get off of the plane for refuelling? If I do get off, do I go through customs or does this get carried out at Orlando??

b) If I was not to use the direct flight, and stop at EWR and get a connecting flight to Orlando later in the day (To save on cost) how long would you suggest I leave between arriving at Newark, and departing for Orlando (Time to collect baggage and clear customs?) Do you think a 3 hour stop over would be ample time??

Much appreciated for all info on Continental, Newark & Orlando airport!!

firstchoice7e7
16th Jan 2008, 21:58
The flight EDI-EWR-MCO shares the same flight number, but theres a change of plane at EWR and you have to clear immigration at EWR.

TightSlot
16th Jan 2008, 22:59
timboab - Welcome, and this is the right place!

Shiny side down
16th Jan 2008, 23:27
As a guide. I went to Seattle with continental last year. Edi via Newark. The company left about 2 hours to transfer, which was not enough.

we were delayed about 30minutes arriving, and immigration took over 45minutes due to everyone arriving (5 or 6 different flights within a very short time) at once.
Net result is that I almost spent the night in newark. It took another 30minutes to get through to the next flight, which fortunately was delayed.

It's not an exciting place, but time is your friend dealing with the delays!

Just my personal view, of course.

top jock
17th Jan 2008, 08:59
I went to Florida via EWR with CO and gave myself 4 hours which was enough. It was a pain as having to collect your bag and drop it off again before heading for the que for security wastes alot of your time.

WHBM
17th Jan 2008, 10:33
The "through flight" is a fiction, popular with US airlines for many years, where they use the same flight number for both the Edinburgh-Newark leg, and a connecting Newark-Orlando leg.

The reason they do this is the flight then appears above connecting flights in computer schedule displays, and research shows that many of those who make bookings (including travel agents) never go below the first page of a display. Also many are misled into thinking it is a genuine through flight. You may find a footnote somewhere "Plane change at intermediate stop".

Commonly there is a change of aircraft (and often of aircraft type) at the intermediate point. You may get the same aircraft continuing, but that would be a chance. If you get the same seat number on both legs that would be a chance as well.

If the inbound flight is late the continuation will not wait, just the same as any other connection, and you will be passed on to the next flight to your destination, whenever that might be.

Continental get hundreds of missed connections at Newark daily, I have experienced them sometimes in both directions on the same transatlantic trip ! Actually they are one of the better organised carriers for handling this, and at Newark they do know what they are doing; be thankful you are not on US Airways connecting at Philadelphia.

Standard arrival procedure at US gateways like Newark, join queue for immigration, which is always the worst bit. Hints : get seated as far forward in the aircraft as possible, when you disembark at Newark, run (no kidding) along the passageways to immigration, overtaking as many people as possible, the rest of the planeload will soon be a huge queue behind you. Once through, collect bags, go through customs point, immediately submit bags at a special bag recheck counter (a US feature), then follow signs for security all over again, because the US will not trust any airport security from outside the US.

timboab
17th Jan 2008, 22:37
Hello everyone, Thanks you very much for replying to my questions-You really have been a great help (including giving me hints and tips on my arrival at Newark!!! I shall look out my running shoes!!!!)

Again, thanks veyr much.

Donkey497
19th Jan 2008, 23:28
If you are on the flight on the 28th, Shrek & Donkey are back on their world tour for 2008, so the best thing to do if you're on this flight when we land is to try to tuck in behind me.........

Shrek reckons that I do a pretty fair impression on Moses parting the waters when moving in a direct line through crowds in an airport between my starting point & where I need to be so he tucks in behind and tries to dodge the scattered & bewildered crowds of Japanese tourists & other flotsam that gets in my way........:E:ok: