PDA

View Full Version : Glossy Info Pamphlets - What a waste of dosh!

Sentry Agitator
16th Jan 2008, 19:14
I got my latest glossy pam through yesterday and it has really rattled my cage.

We have very little money for the important things needed, yet somebody somewhere is authorising the production of:

A fraud policy statement from Air Cmd
Defence Medical Info Capability Programme
Health and Well-being study from Kings College
The guide to JPA reports
Combatting bullying & HarrassmentNow I'm not rattled about the info as the word has to get out and about.

My gripe is that with so much TinterWeb access avail, why, oh why do we have to waste what little we do have on producing thousands of these booklets? and at what cost? when little Johnny in the sandpit could get another magazine to fend off the bodybag?

Surely a page could be put on all station website pages thus reducing the production run to facilitate those OOA without the facility?

My gast has been flabbered.....off to watch the match with the black stuff.

SA :confused:

airborne_artist
16th Jan 2008, 19:18
I hope you also got a guide to all the glossy pamphlets to be published in 2008 - you might miss one otherwise.

Has no-one come across Adobe pdf files?

endplay
16th Jan 2008, 19:52
Passing gen down the line has always been problematic. A face to face briefing (aka morning parade /prayers / O groups /etc) is the most effective method but is hugely inefficient in terms of manhours. Noticeboards and the intranet are probably the easiest but least efective of all. So how do you achieve a compromise? (The question is not rhetorical.) In my last mob job as the unit H&S officer I had to put a Fire Safety Management Plan on the H&S noticeboard to satisfy an audit requirement. It was there for a year and page one had a notice saying "The first person to read this can come to the WO's office and claim a £10 reward"

My wallet remained unopened and I worked in a bunker where Fire was a major concern. You criticised the glossy but could list the contents. Would you have made me £10 poorer?

Sentry Agitator
16th Jan 2008, 20:14
Yep agree entirely but just because these things get sent out does not mean they are read. If my unit can have an anonomous 'howz it all going' questionaire that gets sent to people to complete then they could do the same with the info and keep track of it being delivered.

It still won't ensure that it is read.

To me, something that costs what will surely be an extortionate amount of cash to produce is just plain wrong when people are not getting the kit they need and deserve.

SA

Pontius Navigator
16th Jan 2008, 21:02
In my last mob job as the unit H&S officer I had to put a Fire Safety Management Plan on the H&S noticeboard to satisfy an audit requirement.

I complained about the H&S hazard imposed by the FSMP at the unit I visit. I tried to read the plan but got hit on the nose as someone opened the door.

The plan was on the back of the door.

Green Flash
16th Jan 2008, 21:21
The plan was on the back of the door.

Hung on a nail, in handy sized sheets, eh?;)

Pontius Navigator
16th Jan 2008, 21:34
AIDU,

Byee

Seldomfitforpurpose
16th Jan 2008, 22:43
PN,

Love him or hate him you stood behind a door reading a poster and got biffed on the nose......................AIDU has a point sire :E

Pontius Navigator
17th Jan 2008, 07:01
SFFP,

anyone else yes, you really thought I:

1. Read the FSP

2. Got biffyed on the nose

3. Gave a Flying :mad: for the FSMP

No just winding up the H&S Man. He pushes out so much crap it is a waste of paper, no one, except my H&S man reads it, not even him.

When we ask him about something he 'wrote' he admits he only cut an paste - a true oxygen thief.

My FSMP is very simple.

1. Don't set fire to the place
2. If someone does set fire to the place GET OUT use the door you came in by.

obnoxio f*ckwit
17th Jan 2008, 08:01
What if the door you came in by was on fire?

Pontius Navigator
17th Jan 2008, 08:12
Hi ob, you got it.

One way in, one way out, windows don't open and no fire escapes

one building is 4 stories high too

Seldomfitforpurpose
17th Jan 2008, 08:38
PN,

Is the building full of Nav's........... as it sounds like it was designed with that in mind.............:E

Wader2
17th Jan 2008, 10:07
SFFP, more likely for pilots as they are far more used to taking off and landing at the same airfield and usually only have one way in and one way out of an aircraft.

From a young age Navs are taught how to enter through the door and exit over the wings :}