PDA

View Full Version : Cabair Blackbushe Instuctors

ginnypig
16th Jan 2008, 14:11
Hello all, i was thinking of doing my PPL and Cabair Blackbushe, and had a trial flight thinking of going to a commercial school afterwards, but the instructors there where absolutely useless no names but the Spanish instructor had no idea what he was saying, just flying around in the sky not letting me have any hands on experience and then the admin...any recommendations of a good flight school please!!!!

HappyFran
16th Jan 2008, 14:23
Sounds like you were very unlucky.:uhoh:

If you let me and other pprunes know what part of the country you are interested in training I am sure you will get alot of suggestions.

I did my PPL at BCFT (Bournemouth) and would recommend them, but I am sure you will get a lot of other equally good recommendations, and possibly quite a few cautionary tales. :=

Don't be put off by one bad experience
Good luck

chris-squire
16th Jan 2008, 14:38
Just to second the above....

Don't be put off by one bad experience.

A few years ago I went for a trial lesson at Cabair Bournemouth when it was EPTA and to be honest they were hopeless. Got into the aircraft only to find that the taxi lights has been left on overnight somehow and the battery was completely dead. With no other available I had to wait another 2 weeks to try again. Went back and had a great time. Now starting training with them in the couple of months.

CS :ok:

GgW
16th Jan 2008, 14:38
the Spanish instructor had no idea what he was saying,

IMHO if you can't understand acsent's, then my advise to you is , find something else to do. You will receive info from atc and have to listen to other pilots in the air on a daily basis and not everybody speak's english like a Brit. If you act like this because of something as silly as a trail lesson ,my GOD what are you going to be like when you do your IR.:ugh:

HappyFran is right BCFT is a good school and Old sarum in Salisbury has a good reputation aswell.

Blinkz
16th Jan 2008, 14:39
Blackbushe aviation is part of the redair group and obviously are also based at blackbushe. they are a good school with friendly instructors.

clear prop!!!
16th Jan 2008, 15:01
That’s a bit harsh GgW!!!

Ginnypig is not paying good money to learn to understand foreign accents!!

There is no reason not to expect clear instructions, during your flight instruction in fact, it's a must.

This simply highlights the problems that FTO's are having recruiting UK instructors at the moment...a huge problem especially when it comes to CPL and IR instructors.

You should have been given the controls on your trial flight and the school should have given your fist lesson their best shot if, they want you to continue.

You are absolutely correct to look elsewhere if you do not feel comfortable...it's your money and a lot of it.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
16th Jan 2008, 16:36
I agree with Clear P, GgW, that was a bit of a silly thing to say. Its like the radio in this country, it is something you develop an ear for. Believe me when you are going into Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan ATC are not the easiest of people to understand, even for the most experienced pilot!:ugh:

Dont let this put you off mate, as has been mentioned, looks like you had a bad experience. I used to let the sudent on a trial lesson have as much hands on experience as possible, at the end of the day, thats what they have come to do!

Enjoy the rest of your flying career, it has only just begun :ok:.

Re-Heat
16th Jan 2008, 18:19
The setup at Blackbushe puts me off - I recommend driving up the road to White Waltham for a friendlier and more professional reception. Bear in mind also that some places down the M3 are a great deal cheaper if transport is easy.

Greystoke999
17th Jan 2008, 08:11
Please note that the original poster was not talking about Blackbushe Aviation but CABAIR at Blackbushe.
These are two completely different establishments.

Also they said that the spanish instructor 'did not know what he was saying'. That sounds more like a poor instructor rather than someone unwilling to decipher a foreign accent.

A and C
19th Jan 2008, 17:52
Having been in the business for 30 years i have seen companys come and go, some that have survived have done so using sharp practice.

Below I list the companys that are near blackbushe that I know have over the long term have given good training and have not engaged in sharp practice.

At Booker BAFC.

At White Waltham WLAC.

gmc17
3rd Feb 2008, 09:20
Did my first intro flight with Blackushe Aviation 2 years ago and the Instructor was excellent - on climb-out he was already explaining how the nose should look relative to the horizon.

Did two further intro flights with Cabair (birthday presents) and the instructors whilst good were not as informative as the first.

Get the impression it depends on the individual instructor rather than the school.

Now halfway thru PPL course with Blackbushe Aviation and have no gripes. The two younger intructors I've dealt with are very knowledgeable and friendly (MD could do with going to charm school mind you!):)

Leezyjet
3rd Feb 2008, 15:58
Blackbushe aviation is part of the redair group and obviously are also based at blackbushe. they are a good school with friendly instructors.

Not when I flew with them they weren't. Not impressed at being shouted at by the instructor for mucking up a steep turn because my door popped open - even after I'd told him my door just popped open !!.

:(

Merritt
3rd Feb 2008, 18:58
I did my PPL at Thruxton nr Andover and can recommend the school (Westernair). 01264 773900 - they will be happy to give you more details.

Steve

steven938
16th May 2008, 20:01
Before you consider Blackbushe Aviation, check this blog post from an ex-employee on how they treat their staff. Blackbushe Aviation Job (http://ellielou544.*************)

anotheradam
19th May 2008, 10:56
I think that Cabair is a good company. It is unfortunate that you didn't have a good introductory flight, and if you feel you have a genuine complaint against this instructor then I suggest you write to Derek Edwards, CEO at Cabair Elstree. I am an instructor there part time (Elstree) and as for the company treating the instructors badly- - - -well- - - some people just complain about everything. Instructing is a stepping stone, and if there are things you don't like about the company well, you should laugh all the way to your logbook. They also pay well for a flying school.