PDA

View Full Version : aircraft over firth of forth

rrovers
16th Jan 2008, 13:58
today 1430hrs three TORNADOS high and fast came from the south and went back to the south nice to watch. for info before someone asks what they were?

Fg Off Max Stout
16th Jan 2008, 14:17
Early this afternoon I observed a CHINOOK over Hampshire.

This thread could run and run.

airborne_artist
16th Jan 2008, 14:23
At about 1335 today I saw a whistling chicken leg (http://www.army.mod.uk/aac/equipment/gazelle.htm) flying towards Benson. Minutes later it was flying away from Benson. Why was that?

Chris Kebab
16th Jan 2008, 14:33
Hey Max - Was that Chinook flying west - think I may have caught it myself...

Zoom
16th Jan 2008, 14:34
Remarkable. Only ten minutes ago I looked out of the window and - guess what? No sign of an aeroplane. Coincidence or what?

FCWhippingBoy
16th Jan 2008, 14:39
This morning I witnessed some red aircraft depart Scampton, fly around for a bit then land again.

Then again at lunchtime, then again this afternoon :}

EyesFront
16th Jan 2008, 14:41
Plenty of aeroplanes flying over Staines today, but nothing military ... I think they're from that big airfield just up the road

Perhaps I should cross-post this thread for the benefit of the civvy lot.... :)

GPMG
16th Jan 2008, 14:51
Wow EyesFront, I'm in Egham, I could see the same aeroplanes as well....wow, we must be soul mates. We must get together and talk about these aeroplanes, wouldn't it be fab?

Boldface
16th Jan 2008, 15:29
I guess it's always best to make your first post on PPRUNE a memorable one!!!

El Grifo
16th Jan 2008, 15:33
They (we) are a bunch of twats really, but you will learn to love us :ok:

Best advice :- give as good as you get :}

Gainesy
16th Jan 2008, 15:46
AA, I'll see your chicken leg and raise you.

Two chicken legs with a chicken attached in between.:suspect:

HeliAviator
16th Jan 2008, 15:50
Wow and in awe, a Junglie Sea King Mk4 just pasted over my abode. It did however take some 16 minutes to pass over with its impressive performance! :rolleyes:

sangiovese.
16th Jan 2008, 15:53
Flying from that big airport near Staines?...........it was me! Do I win a bun?

:E

spanners123
16th Jan 2008, 15:55
I was playing golf this afternoon, saw several Tornado's and one Nimrod!
No idea what they were up to!:ok:

fake wafu
16th Jan 2008, 15:56
what they were?

You answered your own question ( I assume you mean 'what were they'). If you meant something else be prepared for rounds incoming - there are some very picky peeps on here when it comes to spellin, grammuh and klerety

aw ditor
16th Jan 2008, 15:56
Does a Greenfinch on the nuts (garden variety) count?

El Grifo
16th Jan 2008, 15:59
Saw a strange craft with red and green lights and a white flashy one as well flying high over my house last night.

Was a bit scared to mention it before now, but since others have plucked up the courage !!!!

spanners123
16th Jan 2008, 16:05
fake wafu (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=68367),
never assume!!:ok:

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
16th Jan 2008, 16:16
airborne_artist. Thanks for the Whistling Chicken Leg link; I wouldn't have otherwise seen:

Although having only one engine it is not as powerful as many others, but its lightweight chassis offsets any deficit it might have.

The brown jobs really have grasped the world that's not

http://www.army.mod.uk/img/aac/aac_andy_osh.jpg

haven't they.

Green Flash
16th Jan 2008, 16:23
Spanners

No idea what they were up to!

I can help you here, they were up to FL160 at times, although one stayed low level. Hope that clears things up. Allways a tricky call but you were right to ask.

:}

spanners123
16th Jan 2008, 16:29
Cheers Green Flash, another mystery solved!!

:}

anotherthing
16th Jan 2008, 16:34
Green Flash

I didn't think the tornado could get that high, certanly not if going fast. Not on one tank of petrol anyway

Pontius Navigator
16th Jan 2008, 16:41
I remember that great Tornado photograph and the chicken leg. now it wasn't attached to the chicken.

Anyway, it wasn't a chicken.

Green Flash
16th Jan 2008, 16:59
Not on one tank of petrol anyway

I think he might have landed, refueled and then continued on to FL160. That's what I would have done.

airborne_artist
16th Jan 2008, 19:07
I think he might have landed, refueled and then continued on to FL160. That's what I would have done.

What, all in one day? Certainly not a Friday, anyway.

Green Flash
16th Jan 2008, 19:23
AA

Ah, yes, I didn't see that. Sorry, you are right. Anybody help me out here?:\

Lara crofts pants
16th Jan 2008, 19:51
Simply had to drive up to the Firth of Forth after rrovers initial post. Too good a chance to miss. Been here for 4 hours now - still nothing

Green Flash
16th Jan 2008, 20:04
LCP
Funny thing - niether can I! I'm only a few hundred miles from the F of F but I can't see them at the moment. A bit spooky, eh?

JAVELINBOY
16th Jan 2008, 20:05
Pair of Tucarno's West to East over Ludlow Racecourse toodling along looking at the flooding as they went I suspect

Green Flash
16th Jan 2008, 20:06
I can't see the Tucanos either! Are you sure they are over Ludlow? Is this some sort conspiracy? What's going on?!

FLCH
16th Jan 2008, 20:14
Does anyone know if the Tornados were low on oxygen ? Perhaps thats why they were so low/high...

BTW I did see a CH-53 from nearby Willow Grove Naval Air Station, it was flying around at 1500' or so, I believe it was looking for a conspiracy.

Green Flash
16th Jan 2008, 20:23
Right, that's it, I'm off. There is something very strange going on here. I'm looking through my hi-res Stargate and I can't see ANYTHING flying around outside. No Tornado's, Nimrods, Tucanos, CH-53 (and, lets face it, they are very obvious, you would agree) or indeed any warp drive craft. You lot are having me on and I won't have it, I tell you! I won't!

:\:}:\:}:\:}

Grey'npointy
16th Jan 2008, 20:29
Does a Greenfinch on the nuts (garden variety) count?

What was a garden greenfinsh doing on yer nuts?:uhoh:

I was over the F of F today, but didn't see anything - too busy texting my mates about some strange goings on as I drove over the bridge.:O

mustpost
16th Jan 2008, 20:37
1255/16/08

Dinnae post here sir - ah saw them twa an' a' - went richt o'er ma hoose today ...and michty mee anither twa Tonk:mad:s have just gone and done it again. cos they've done the same f:mad: thing for the last 10 years etc..and navs as well. who's for the Bass Rock? And then (55.9,-2.83) Saltoun Church anyone? - please PM -I have pics. They said it would be peaceful here....enjoy it in Fife. Who was the Shropshire lad who said he wanted more FJ's? :ok:

Romeo Oscar Golf
16th Jan 2008, 20:41
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/roghead/DSCF0036.jpg

I was lucky to get a snap of this low flying Japanese Zero as it flashed across Hyde Park this morning:8

onthebumline
16th Jan 2008, 20:44
I flew a military rotary wing aircraft today into the south west penninsula. On passing the B3267 near padstow I saw a red family hatchback (possibly an old model of vauxhall astra) heading east at a moderate speed......................do I get a prize?:)

Pontius Navigator
16th Jan 2008, 20:44
I'm frozen.

Been outside for 3 hours watching the Typhoons flyng around. Couldn't see them in the dark. Couldn't hear them either. Must be the new stealth hush kits.

I wonder if the marham Tornades have the same kit now?

mustpost
16th Jan 2008, 20:49
Only if it was stuck in the 'FLOODS' - err?

Mactlsm1
16th Jan 2008, 21:02
They use this for navigation around here........

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee24/FatAlbert-UK/big_chicken_sm.jpg?t=1200520710

"Turn right/left at the Big Chicken........":)

Mac

sycamore
16th Jan 2008, 21:12
Well,I went up to FL240 today, yes looking for Tornados/Typhoons/Harriers, but didn`t see any. It took a while to get there(JP3) , but the radar controller was nice as he asked me if I was a helicopter....It was nice up there, but everyone must have been over the F of F,which is why I couldn`t see them,so Ithought I`d drop a boom on Spalding, and knock all those windmills over. So, taking a deep breath, over we went,60deg down, the noise was tremendous and the Machmeter went wizzing around, until some bits were sssuupper sssonic , the other bits were a bit behind, but nevertheless all together,still,and then we pulled up,two-hands, and went up again.I was dizzy with excitement, or lack of oxygen, so we did a few `spinny things`, to get down, didn`t declare a `Mayday` and then flew back home; I did wave to a lot of people on the ground(the people) to indicate which way I should go; however, we got home, still with plenty of fuel. Didn`t anybody see me ,or wave?

mustpost
16th Jan 2008, 21:32
Too close to John D for fun for me, sycamore....

vortexadminman
16th Jan 2008, 21:45
I know where they all!!! and it is not the FoF.
Sat at work today with the very expensive window cutting out all noise, and there were Chinnies, lesser spotted Jags, few of those windy type things ...... er Tornadoes, lots of long landing prop type things called King Airs, a few noisy wee things with only one prop, a couple of staff cars with flappy wind socks on them........ guess my location and it does not take the brains of an old soak arch bishop!!!

Green Flash
16th Jan 2008, 22:01
You are on the Planet Zanussi and I claim the Old Soak Arch Bishop!

Wader2
17th Jan 2008, 11:48
I've looked and listened all morning but its cloudy and I cant see anything.

I've also looked and can't find a connect with Nostrian's post either.

Why not start your own threads Nostrian?