PDA

View Full Version : Best study book for airline interview

Georgexr
15th Jan 2008, 16:51
Hi,

I was wondering if you could recommend me some quality book for studying to succeed in airline interview.

redout
15th Jan 2008, 17:06
"Handling the big jets" by D.P. Davies use to be like the bible back in the day from what I have been told from older pilots. They use to ask you questions with the book open under the table I have been told. "ace the technical pilot interview" seems to be the big one for the last few years but alot of people have said its like a potential mine field filled with many mistakes. My advice would be to stick with "Handling the big jets" as I have yet to hear a single complaint about it, only praise.

Georgexr
15th Jan 2008, 17:19
It looks interesting, thank you very much for the tip. I have come across Jeppesen's Instrument/Commercial Manual, which I was told is supposed to be good as well, anybody has experinece with it ?

Lafyar Cokov
16th Jan 2008, 09:15
My personal opinion: 'Handling the Big Jets' - Number One for all the reasons statred above - plus it puts the theory of operating a heavy aircraft into reasonably plain English that pilots can understand without being patronising.

'Great Answers to Tough Interview Questions' by Martin John Yate is also a very useful book - not just because it does give some answers but also all the peripheral stuff about how to deal with phone interviews, what to wear, how to find jobs that aren't necessarily advertised etc. It is not in any way airline/pilot specific but as a general job-seeking book it is excellent.

'Preparing For Your Cathay Pacific Interview' by Captain XYZ is very good for general tech questions - and many different airlines apparantly use it as a basis for their tech questioning. It doesn't give you the answers to the questions but does get you looking for interesting operating aspects of heavy jets (particularly 747 and A340) and gives an excellent grounding for all sorts of interview questions.

'Ace The Technical Pilot Interview' by Gary Bristow is quite good, it gives answers to technical questions that can be a useful refreshing aid to interview questions and 6 monthly checks.

Apparantly you also need a personality, experience and the ability to drive a simulator, which is where I keep falling down at interviews!!

Hope this helps

LC