PDA

View Full Version : Civil Aviation Authorities treatment of Military Aircrews

Magic123
14th Jan 2008, 18:12
How does your Civil Aviation Authority treat you and your military qualifications when it comes to civilian qualifications?

BEagle
14th Jan 2008, 19:03
Magic123, pretty well, actually.

Some years ago, the Joint Aviation Authority formed. Most European national aviation authorities fell in line with its requirements.

One JAA requirement was that national authorities were required to provide accreditation for the skills and experience gained in military service towards civil licences.

I wrote a few letters and, apart from some utter wanquerre of a Wg Cdr staff officer, everyone was quite supportive. After 4 star interest, a MoD/CAA Working Group was formed, to assess the level of credit which would be reasonable.

Obviously those who flew ME aircraft in airways for most of their time gained more airline-relevant experience than those whose service flying experience lay elsewhere. But, at a time when people were leaving the military in droves, it was accepted that a 'free' (ish) licence once you'd gained the required level of experience might persuade a few folk to stay on long enought to gain the credit. This was considered a recruting and retention incentive and the CAA was very supportive.

Eventually the accreditation scheme was agreed. This is now firmly entrenched in the UK. You have to achieve 2000 hrs TT on military aircraft, of which 1500 has to be as PIC, although 500 of that can be as PIC under supervision. Then you can 'enter' the scheme and receive the level of credit relevant to your experience. The maximum credit is given to ME transport/tanker pilots - all they have to do is to pass the Air Law exam, get a Class 1 medical then get a CAA Examiner to observe an Instrument Rating profile in the aircraft. After which there's a complicated form to complete and cheque to pay; a few weeks later a nice new ATPL arrives in the post! For non-ME pilots, things aren't quite as simple - but there is still a reasonable level of accreditiation.

However, there is a potential fly in the ointment coming soon. The JAA is now virtually defunct and its function will be taken over by the European Air Safety Agency. Which not only overrules any national arrangements, but insists on a 'one size fits all' approach. So, anyone in the RAF even thinking about a civil licence shouldn't waste any time as currently there is no real knowledge about EASA's plans for military/civil accreditation......

FayeDeck
14th Jan 2008, 19:09
Magic

For RW you must have the hours stated above and sit Air Law and Ops procedures. If you are current.............thats it. If not you have to do a small amount of flying and a skills test. The exemptions are actually fairly generous I believe.

vortexadminman
14th Jan 2008, 22:22
Like all the exemptions UK suffers badly.......... apart from the tristar and funbus guys. ME Pilots doing the job in other fields get left out. Dutch and Danish get one pretty much on completion of pilots course,obviously with a return of service. A tonka driver gets what??? Harrier mates.......... sweet FA. So should the preservation rule apply do worse on your course and go to something you can use when you leave? Two pongo Islander drivers passed through here a bit back, who fly multi engine solo IR and they have to achieve hours and a course they pay for to say they can fly IR?? bah humbug all money for agencies etc I'll get my coat. We shold not be talking about dispensations at all should be agreed that RAF/Navy/Army/Marines who complete there course should get a licence simple. Clearly each service would put in place a robust return of service which is fine like any contract in the civvy market ( BA not included). Should not go on as red wine is in and UK really annoys me at mo with its one rule for us and rest of Europe can do whatever.

NDB
14th Jan 2008, 23:21
Well I think I have given the CAA enough of my money!

Got a shinny blue book (paid for by yours truly), almost 800 instructional thanks to HRH and a CFS awarded Cat.

I applied to the CAA to have an FI rating on the basis of. They took my money, reviewed it, and will not give me the rating and have charged me for the review!! :mad:

Cheers..

Remind me.. They are a profit MAKING government department, who are responsible for policing and PROMOTING aviation!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

WannaBeCiv
15th Jan 2008, 05:31
To be honest, I think the deal for UK FJ aircrew is reasonable. And I speak as someone currently going through the system.

You need 2000 hrs - so return of service is guaranteed and then do 4 CAA exams and 1 external exam (the other 10 CAA exams rolled into 1). Then all you need is the expensive bit - an IR on a twin. This gets you a CPL/frozen ATPL.

Interestingly, it isn't consistent across Europe, some get a better deal, some worse. Obviously I would prefer it if I got an ATPL as soon as I got a set of wings to pin on, but I don't think that from everyone else's point of view, that would be reasonable.

D120A
15th Jan 2008, 07:03
I remember many years ago a VC-10 pilot in the 10 Sqn crew-room at BZN, on the phone to the CAA asking if they could postpone the flight test he had booked for the following week. They demanded to know the reason.

"I am flying the Queen" he said.

:ok: