PDA

View Full Version : 19yr old Pilot in Todays Paper? CPL H...21??

g-mady
14th Jan 2008, 18:00
No doubt some of you have seen the 19/20yr old Pilot flying 737s beside his dad for "Titan" aviation,

Isn't the minimum age for a commercial pilots licence 21? Or is it different for fixed wing?
There is some strange explanation by the CAA saying he did not run passenger carrying duties until 20?

Would anyone agree that both fixed wing and rotary have a similar responsability to passengers and that minimum age should be the same???

MADY

BHenderson
14th Jan 2008, 18:12
Min age CPL/IR 18 years
Min age ATPL 21 years

I would disagree that the ages need rethinking. He has obviously passed all the same hurdles in training to get there and in many ways, if he has been involved with aviation since childhood, may even have more experience than your average 26 year old fATPL holder.

Teefor Gage
14th Jan 2008, 19:59
Nothing wrong with gaining a CPL at 19, but I'm not so sure I'm comfortable with an airline flying a father and son together, particularly when the son has only just qualified. Interesting CRM scenarios come to mind.

"Are you arguing with me son? Just you remember who you are talking to!!" !!

rockpecker
14th Jan 2008, 20:24
Whatever negative comment anyone has about this, it will be out of jealousy. This is so incredible.
Young man, may you go as far as your dreams can take you! Keep going!
:D:D:D:D

tegwin
14th Jan 2008, 22:20
Fair play to him...

Its nothing special being 19 and almost CPL:E

bananaskiner
14th Jan 2008, 22:29
jealous.... me ?
God yes.!! :yuk:
haha

My dad worked down the local colliery. Not much chance to gain any parental advantage there im afraid.!

One of the most important elements in principles of flight. Money.!!:}

Fair Play. I'd do the same for my kids if i had the dosh.

Peter-RB
14th Jan 2008, 22:36
N..N...N....N Nineteen, your old enough to Die for your Country.......... Then you should, in my book be able to do anything else , just so long as you are properly trained!!

Peter R-B
Vfrpilotpb

Whirlygig
14th Jan 2008, 22:40
Then you should, in my book be able to do anything else

Except hold a PSV licence? Be a member of parliament?

Cheers

Whirls

Brian Abraham
14th Jan 2008, 23:14
I'm not so sure I'm comfortable with an airline flying a father and son together

If you think that bad, what about a husband and wife. One such on an A340 I know of and probably more. Personally have no problem.

206Fan
14th Jan 2008, 23:55
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=507997&in_page_id=1770&in_page_id=1770&expand=true#StartComments

MidgetBoy
15th Jan 2008, 00:00
I'm 19 yrs old too with CPL, studying for my IATRA exam.

Bladestrike
15th Jan 2008, 11:37
Don't mean to brag, but I had mine in Canada at 18 (in 1984, maybe the rules have changed since then), and had well over 1000 hours under my belt before I hit 20. I was a pretty cocky bugger back then.

HeliCraig
15th Jan 2008, 12:02
I'm with Teefor Gage, absolutely full credit to the chap concerned, but I would have concerns around the CRM of father / son. That said, I can't see any operator handing over a 737 to a crew whose CRM they thought might be questionable.

Of more interest is G-WELY - Titan's A109... perhaps this ambitious young man will see the error of his ways (or get bored) and come and join the right side!! :ok:

topendtorque
15th Jan 2008, 12:28
No doubt one needs the skill and maturity to evaluate before you react in things rotary, and things heavy, fixed-wing wise, unless you wish to tear their control surfaces off.

However plenty of that age were fighting and dying in things flying not so long ago.

Youth, agility and manipulative skill, as long as one seer recently put it, is trained properly, will work, until the day an old old head is required on a young shoulder.

Neatest pilot my old man ever saw, he reckons was just eighteen years old in a P51, given a bum steer by a nav error of his flight leader and was creamed,, en route from OZ with 77 sqdn, juuust on top of an island, in fog, in the straits between the main Japanese islands. -1945, BOFU -

One of the flight of four survived, he had been back a bit, but came back with the story, that during reaction to a dark blur in front with - upside down in fog, nothing on the clock but the makers name. how lucky?

biggdav
15th Jan 2008, 14:12
Min age CPL/IR 18 years
Min age ATPL 21 years

I would disagree that the ages need rethinking. He has obviously passed all the same hurdles in training to get there and in many ways, if he has been involved with aviation since childhood, may even have more experience than your average 26 year old fATPL holder.

100%. My instructor in the states was 21, and my instructor in Uk same age. Great guys who will only do better as time passes. Wish i had got into aviation younger.

Haggis Hunter
15th Jan 2008, 14:38
I had my CPL(H) and FI(H) when I was 19. Age means nothing, it's about skill level, commitment and professionalism. He has had to do all the training and exams the same way as everyone else. Good on him and may he have a fantastic career, he should have been sensible and done rotary though!

Just not sure flying with his old man is a great idea...

HH

helicopter-redeye
15th Jan 2008, 22:12
Except hold a PSV licence? Be a member of parliament?

I'm thinking Blackadder & Pit the Younger (but not necc in that order)

h-r

Whirlygig
15th Jan 2008, 22:28
They didn't have Passenger Service Vehicles in Georgian England!

Cheers

Whirls

Pitt the Younger was 21 when first elected to Parliament and 24 as PM; Blackadder is a fictional character!!!!

Ken Wells
15th Jan 2008, 23:15
Well done, we need more young role models entering aviation not less!

They had squadron leaders his age in the 40's and why not.

At least the story is not about some Premier league footballer, over paid prima dona, with the morals of sewer rat. Or a Big brother thicko.
:=
Unfortunatley that is the role model norm in 2008 for our younger generation.

If the publicity around this guy, challenges just one young person to investigate a carreer in aviation then great!!!:D

Tail-take-off
16th Jan 2008, 09:10
Bristows have had a number of 19 year old co-pilots on the North Sea over the years. I know because I was one of them.

206Fan
16th Jan 2008, 16:14
Bristows have had a number of 19 year old co-pilots on the North Sea over the years. I know because I was one of them.

Wow, very nice TTO.. Is there any co-pilots in that age area with them at the minute?

CottonEyeJoe
16th Jan 2008, 22:00
I AM AMAZED THAT SOME POST HERE CRITICISE THE 20 YEAR OLD PILOT.

JEALOUSY IS A TERRIBLE ILLNESS!:mad:

Bell 206
16th Jan 2008, 22:31
i dont think age has anything to do with how you present yourself as a pilot. someone young can still be very professional and skilled in their field.

i believe there is nothing wrong with being a 'young' pilot. i became Australia's youngest female commercial helicopter pilot at 18!!!

cotteneyejoe - i am with you on the jealousy thing. :ugh:there is a lot out there!

Teefor Gage
17th Jan 2008, 04:54
CottonEyeJoe

Misreading is a terrible thing too! Nobody has actually criticised the 19 year old pilot, in fact everybody seems to be in agreement that he has done well.
My criticism was pointed at the airline for allowing a father and son team to pilot a commercial airliner together. I know there are exceptions to the rule, but this doesn't fit well with the CRM side of things.
As for jealousy, not me! I gained my first licence at 19, albeit about 150 years ago!!