PDA

View Full Version : LHR T5 and post-curfew performance

MrSoft
14th Jan 2008, 13:16
Everything seems to be suggesting that Heathrow Terminal 5 is expected to be ready on time, for late March.

My question is, for anyone in the know : how should I set my expectations, for being processed in the early morning inbound rush post-curfew? Assuming a T5 to T5 onward UK transfer.

At the moment, I just avoid morning transfers full stop, much as I really like BA and a lot of my money is going on inferior carriers because of it.

If I can build LHR back into my travel plans, I'll be a happy bunny. I have already prepared a fantasy, of just strolling from gate to gate in airy splendour...

So, how did the planning/testing etc. go with these volumes in mind, I wonder? Can anyone help?

Hartington
14th Jan 2008, 15:23
http://www.heathrowairport.com/portal/site/default/menuitem.d8b3e9cee80c57c1077c4e5d9328c1a0/

leads to a BAA page about the ongoing testing at T5. I attended one back in October. Lots of workmen, lots of cordoned off areas, only two coach loads of testers.

We checked in (using a mixture of machines and people). Some of us dropped baggage. Went through security. Went to a gate and went through the boarding process. Then back up to the same holding lounge for lunch then back down the boarding lane where we turned into arriving passengers, some terminating London and the rest connecting. I went to a domestic flight. Then we arrived off a domestic flight.

Several things weren't working; the PA prior to boarding, the iris scanning system for domestic passengers and somehow we never went through the baggage hall on our arrival.

That was a very early trial so I wasn't surprised some things weren't working. And, perhaps more to the point, I was equally surprised how much did work.

I have a flight to Tokyo on 1st April and I'm looking forward to using T5. I've also volunteered for another trial to see how things have progressed.