PDA

View Full Version : RNZAF Pay Scales

VARIABLE_KNIFE
13th Jan 2008, 16:38
Dear all,

Just wondering how the Kiwi Air Force pay rates stack up against those here in the UK? Welcome any info.

Cheers,

VN

Bluntend
13th Jan 2008, 17:24
It depends how you look at it. There are quite a few differences between the two pay scales and you have to consider tax, pensions, superannuation, the cost of living, the cost of housing etc.

What trade/branch are you looking at?

VARIABLE_KNIFE
13th Jan 2008, 18:23
Air Warfare Officer at the moment, although not overly fussed.

Bluntend
13th Jan 2008, 22:43
Ok, well a Flt Lt could be on around $60k which works out at around £24k. But the cost of living is slightly lower. Tax is around 25% and you get paid fortnighly. Fuel costs less than in the UK but is on the rise. You'll get taxed on any profit you make from any invesment you have - even if you invested in the UK the NZIRD would demand you paid tax on your gains. Around the main cities Wellington and in particular Auckland, housing is getting increasingly more expensive. If, however, you're prepared to commute, houses a bit further afield are more affordable. Failing that living on base is an affordable option. Housing is ok, but can get chilly in the winter but facilities are generally good - all bases (as far as I'm aware) have a base welfare hire facility where you can hire anything from a kayak to a campervan, plus there are holiday homes around the country that are great value for money.

All in all, I'd argue that you're unlikely to be any better off financially by moving out here, but no worse off either. If you're prepared to move this far but are driven more financially than anything else, I'd advise the RAAF - they pay more. But then you'd be living in Aussie. Swings and roundabouts I guess.