PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon safely tucked up at night?

Al R
13th Jan 2008, 08:14
Austria decided against a night fighting capability for Typhhon. Insightful, calculated risk, or heads in the sand?

http://news.scotsman.com/latestnews/Eurofighter-on-a-wing-and.3667458.jp

CrazyMonkey
13th Jan 2008, 08:50
Typhoon will still have an impressive night fighting capability without these sensors.

KarlADrage
13th Jan 2008, 09:40
Check out the story below it!! That's got to come as a bit of a shock - for both parties!! :)

Al R
13th Jan 2008, 09:53
I find his sense of moral outrage quite an ingenious stance.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
13th Jan 2008, 09:57
I thought this was interesting; Austrian defence chiefs decided before ordering the aircraft costing £277m apiece that the potential military threat to the country was unlikely to come from the air.

Pukah gen or has someone confused $ for £ signs or/and misplaced a decimal point?

Henry_Harris
13th Jan 2008, 09:57
Interesting, I can see wh they did it though. It's worth a look checking out the stories below that, a ninja bandit thief, a prostitute wife and a santa claus accused of molestation! Classic

Al R
13th Jan 2008, 10:01
I like the sound of Xmas in the Antarctica.

That woman sounds like my kinda gal. :)

ZK-NSJ
13th Jan 2008, 10:04
well anyone attacking austria arnt exactly gonna come by sea are they

Archimedes
13th Jan 2008, 10:44
I thought this was interesting;
Quote:
Austrian defence chiefs decided before ordering the aircraft costing £277m apiece that the potential military threat to the country was unlikely to come from the air.
Pukah gen or has someone confused $ for £ signs or/and misplaced a decimal point?

Typhoon is supposed to cost at most £68m per throw (this includes various amortised costs, since the originally accepted price per airframe was rather lower - both calculations come from the NAO).

The Euro isn't that weak, nor is the $; even with a decimal place the figure's wrong.

And all the Austrians appear to have done - although it's hard to tell given the accuracy of the rest of the story - is to have decided not to buy PIRATE. Now forgive me for being awkward, but I thought this thing known as 'radar' was handy for night interception...

Jackonicko
13th Jan 2008, 12:29
Typhoon unit cost is £45 m for Tranche 1, £42.2 m for Tranche 2, and the Austrians paid €62 m each for theirs.

The £68 m figure is an internal MoD accounting figure that means absolutely nothing in the real world. It is neither a unit production cost, nor a full unit programme cost, but does include programme related costs - including some costs for aircraft not yet built.

LowObservable
13th Jan 2008, 12:55
At least this one isn't (so far) splashed all across the media nationwide. As when the disclosure that some B-2 maintenance couldn't be done outside a climate-controlled hangar led to a STEALTH BOMBER CAN'T FLY IN RAIN myth that still hasn't quite been nailed into its coffin.

Someone should tell the writer that it's OK as long as the pilot is nicknamed "Cat's-Eyes" and eats lots of carrots. The Luftwaffe swallowed that classic piece of disinformation whole and the poor buggers on the Nachtjagdgechwadern had to eat a kilo of carrots a day... they're probably still :mad:ing orange...

Wigan Warrior
13th Jan 2008, 15:43
Is it any wonder the clue difficient reporters name is an anagram of:

"Ye Rancid Ink"

Be fun to listen to his defence in court, when up for speeding at night...

"Your Honour I put it to you that theses devilish radar guns cannot possible work in the dark"

lightningmate
13th Jan 2008, 15:47
Smart-Chap,

Nobody is going for an HMS/NVG system - yet!!

lm

Riskman
13th Jan 2008, 20:01
Typhoon unit cost is £45 m for Tranche 1, £42.2 m for Tranche 2, and the Austrians paid €62 m each for theirs.

The £68 m figure is an internal MoD accounting figure that means absolutely nothing in the real world. It is neither a unit production cost, nor a full unit programme cost, but does include programme related costs - including some costs for aircraft not yet built.

£68m is what you get if you add all the D&D and production contract (over a dozen contracts ie GSE, ILS, ASTA, ?) costs together and divide by the total production run for all three tranches.

Jackonicko
13th Jan 2008, 21:35
No it isn't. Programme cost, including R&D and subordinate contracts divided by the three tranche buy equals somewhere around £81 m (£19 Bn divided by 232).

£68 m was the last figure in the latest NAO report - before that it was given as £42 m and £45 m, as I stated - and I have copious FOI replies showing that it's not a unit flyaway cost, nor a unit production cost.

And the close comparison between the RAF prices originally given (£42-45 m) and the Austrian price (€62 m) are not coincidental - NB the heads of agreement dictate that no export customer will get the aircraft for less than the partner nations pay.

XV277
14th Jan 2008, 11:05
maybe they could do what the Canadians did with the CF-18 and put a big spotlight in the nose?

M609
14th Jan 2008, 12:04
Similar light on the RNoAF F-16s. Works great apparently.

(That said, the QRA now carry the Sniper pod, great to show vids showing Bears on national TV using tapes from the air-air mode........ :p )