PDA

View Full Version : Selection about the alternative aerodrome

caucatc
11th Jan 2008, 12:22
I am working in ZBAA as an approach controller ,last week we have a strong windy day ,so many aircrafts go around due to strong cross wind .An A330 which departed from HongKong had gone around twice ,when we ask his intention ,he said he wish to hold at somewhere and hope the wind could become weak ,but unfortunately ,the wind was still strong , and the aircraft had been holding for nealy 45 minutes ,but at last ,to our surprise ,he decided to alternative to ZSPD ,an aerodrome about 2 hours from ZBAA ,and according to the flihgt plan we can found from our system , his alternative aerodrome is ZBTJ which is only 20minutes away from ZBAA ,can anyone tell me why ?
And another question ,why a aircraft bring that much fuel ? He still can fly about 3 hours after he departed from HongKong ,if no strong wind that day ,I think he could be overweight ?

max payload
12th Jan 2008, 12:24
Hi caucatc,

Too much data missing here.
Obviously with lots of fuel on board ZBTJ was filed as ALTN to satisfy legal and company requirements. Were weather conditions at ZBTJ within limits?
Extra fuel on board can be for a number of reasons; tankering (bringing cheaper fuel for the way back or because of fuelling limitations), company requirements, comfort fuel, etc.
Extra fuelling will normally not lead to an overweight situation; if indeed overweight the aircraft would reduce fuel on board through holding or dumping.

Have a chat with the local ops guys at your airfield for more info.

Cheers- Max :ok:

HHI OPS
12th Jan 2008, 13:36
Hey,

another main reason is always, if the alternate airport has the resources , needed for an useful handling.
Sure, two hours for an alternate is nearly too much, but i think the crew was in contact with the dispatch and they found a soloution together.