PDA

View Full Version : LowCost in USA - where to find ?

Brandten
11th Jan 2008, 10:34
In Sweden we have lots of sites compare all prices and avalible seats of the airlines. Havent find anything like it for LCC in USA.

Want to find the cheapest flights between:
KORD, ORD, Chicago [Chicago O'Hare Intl], IL, US
and
KATW, ATW, Appleton [Outagamie County Regional Airport], WI, US.
or direct to
ORD - KOSH, OSH, Oshkosh [Wittman Regional Airport], WI, US

Also, im flying from Arlanda to USA and its aprox the same price going to New York as to Chicago, difference is that i get an extra flight :):)

airhumberside
11th Jan 2008, 16:46
Only airline between ORD and ATW is United

Avman
12th Jan 2008, 10:00
No LCCs fly between Chicago (ORD/MDW) and Appleton WI. And, according to my info - which surprises me, no scheduled flights of any type between Chicago (ORD/MDW) and OSH.

Are you flying to ORD from Sweden? Which carrier? Can you not make a through booking to ATW? This would work out much cheaper than buying a RTN ticket from ORD on a United Commuter flight.

PAXboy
12th Jan 2008, 13:22
When travelling in a country that you are not familiar with, I often find that the best starting point is the departure airport. Locate that via a search engine and then see which airlines go to your destination.

If you cannot find any, locate the destination airport and look 'backwards' to see which airports might be suitable jumping off points.

Hartington
13th Jan 2008, 10:39
I attended the EAA Oshkosh fly in a few years ago and drove from Chicago. Allowed me to do a bit of sightseeing en route which means my travel times are not appropriate in respect of driving direct but I'd guess 4 hours.

Also look at the O'hare web site. You may find that there is some form of ground transportation (bus). My son went to Madison Wisconsin and used a bus which he found by that method.

Eboy
20th Jan 2008, 11:57
"In Sweden we have lots of sites compare all prices and avalible seats of the airlines. Havent find anything like it for LCC in USA."

I don't think there is such a site for US LCC. We have sites like Expedia and Travelocity, but the cheapest airlines such as JetBlue and Southwest are not on them. I think you just have to check them separately.

If there is such a site that includes them, I would like to know about it.

Lost_ethics
20th Jan 2008, 18:24
If you were to google cheaptickets there's a .com site that offers some of the LCC's (JetBlue, AirTran etc. But I don't think it covers Southwest).
I can't vouch for the site (but they used to have some good commercials. :E)
Hope this helps you out.

obgraham
20th Jan 2008, 19:05
The system is different here from Europe. The low cost airlines only fly "hub to hub" or to large market cities. Small market places like mine, and like Appleton/Oshkosh pay outrageous costs to fly only a few miles to reach the nearest hub. Almost never is that on a "low cost" airline.

Best fare compare site here is www.kayak.com which will search most of the other sites for you. Add Green Bay to your search list - about 40 miles from Appleton.

Most folks here would drive from ORD to Oshkosh or Appleton.

seacue
21st Jan 2008, 21:09
Sometimes the cost of a through ticket to/from a minor destination using a major airline and then its local affiliate isn't a lot greater than the ticket to the connecting airport.

I priced United Airlines from Appleton to Stockholm and return and the price was about $14 higher than Chicago <> Stockholm.

The difference may not be this small if the ticket is purchased in Sweden.