PDA

View Full Version : Why do all Aircrew tend suffer from Ducks Disease?

althenick
11th Jan 2008, 02:12
Sorry to ask but are there Hieght restrictions in the military?

Look at the Link - I dont think any of them break 5' 7" is there a reason for this?

http://www.navynews.co.uk/view-story.aspx?articleID=87

kiwi chick
11th Jan 2008, 02:33
Haven't bothered looking at the photo, but quite possibly because if they were much taller they'd smash their legs off at the knees whilst ejecting.

Which might hurt a bit. ;)

L J R
11th Jan 2008, 04:08
Wow Kiwi Chick, you are so informed.

Background Noise
11th Jan 2008, 05:46
I don't think they'll be ejecting from a Lynx.

airborne_artist
11th Jan 2008, 06:13
It's a feature of the cost-cutting life that is now common throughout the Services. In order to get the new carriers Elizabeth and PoW through on a tight procurement budget, it has been necessary to reduce the headroom between decks to save on materials and weight. This means that Jack will have headroom 5'8" on all decks apart from the hangar.

The Dark Blue has therefore ceased recruiting anyone above that height, as it was further assessed that the costs of protective headgear for people over 5'8", and the possible costs of medical attention when cracking the bonce on the deckhead (ceiling to pongoes/cr@bs) would be too great.

Mach the Knife
11th Jan 2008, 06:18
:) AA, a brilliant and well presented answer. Now if we can only get a similar policy towards the fat and unfit.... Just think of the savings.

geniculate
11th Jan 2008, 06:38
Narrow doors and more stairs:}

VinRouge
11th Jan 2008, 07:02
Angled deck old chap. bit of an optical illusion. Bit like when they angle mirrors up in clothes shops to make you look taller and thinner. But the opposite way.

Do agree though, it looks as from the pic as if the navy have been recruiting Hobbits!

brakedwell
11th Jan 2008, 07:05
MoD may delay carrier contract
By Sylvia Pfeifer and Chris Giles
Published: January 10 2008 22:02 | Last updated: January 10 2008 22:02
The Ministry of Defence is examining possible delays to its £4bn contract for two new aircraft carriers as it struggles to meet Treasury demands for swingeing cuts to its budget.

The MoD had been expected to agree a manufacturing contract with the industry alliance building the Royal Navy carriers as early as next week, but that now looks likely to slip.

BEagle
11th Jan 2008, 07:23
It's because it's easier to fit them into the barrel.....

Ah-harrh, me hearties!

6Z3
11th Jan 2008, 08:00
Any budding Douglas Baders are also very welcome.
BEagle, do you have a barrelbumbaccyhellosailorkissmehardy fixation?

LFFC
11th Jan 2008, 08:16
Perhaps RN aircrew should be called "Ducks" from now on? :E

sitigeltfel
11th Jan 2008, 08:23
Haven't bothered looking at the photo, but quite possibly because if they were much taller they'd smash their legs off at the knees whilst ejecting.

Which might hurt a bit. ;)

I remember being denied a back seat ride in a Martel equipped Buccaneer because of this. Had to sit in a dummy seat thingy to have my bum to kneecap measurement taken and was about 2" to long. I noticed a lot of the Navs on 12 Sqn were vertically challenged.

Confucius
11th Jan 2008, 08:27
Now if we can only get a similar policy towards the fat and unfit.... Just think of the savings.

Or, close all the gyms, sack all the PEd staff, put useful buildings on sports fields - think of the savings.

XV277
11th Jan 2008, 09:02
Bloke second from left looks a candidate for the RN basketball team

D-IFF_ident
11th Jan 2008, 09:17
VR is right - it's the viewers perspective. They are all actually 7' 5".

Seriously though, look here: http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200405/cmselect/cmdfence/63/63we06.htm

It's not really about height overall - no point having 5' legs, no body or neck and a 7" head for example. I understand that certain body parts, for entry into the Royal Navy, are expected to be less than 4 inches, whereas for entry into the RAF as a pilot an overall length of not less than 9 inches is required. :E

exrotarybooty
11th Jan 2008, 10:00
D-IFF_ident

If I get your gist, does that apply to male and female entrants?

What happened to the old saying that size doesn't matter. :)

ERB

St Johns Wort
11th Jan 2008, 10:02
This has got nothing to do with ships, boats and things nautical. Its a factor introduced by the medical branch. As such it should be addressed to the quacks.

Union Jack
11th Jan 2008, 10:02
D-IFF

"..... for entry into the RAF as a pilot an overall length of not less than 9 inches is required. :E"

including the ladies!?

Jack

BEagle
11th Jan 2008, 10:16
Wasn't there an old Metropolitan Police recruiting advert which stated that the difference between a PC and a WPC was about 6 inches.....?

They meant height, but no-one else thought that!

And 6Z3, good grief no, me old mucker – I’ll leave that sort of thing to those of an alternative persuasion!

Far prefer people-formerly-known-as-WRNS in those crisp white shirts and black stockings*, meself!!

*and nothing else.....

D-IFF_ident
11th Jan 2008, 10:56
I'm not sure, but I think the policy for ladies is not necessarily having a minimum length, but more a willingness to accept, in principle at least, the benefits of the receipt of such should the need arise, as it were. :eek:

I'll get me cold weather jacket.

brakedwell
11th Jan 2008, 12:00
Then why did the girls in Singapore used to say "You aircrew all same, big ticker, small pricker, pay by cheque! :E:E

airborne_artist
11th Jan 2008, 12:09
The FAA thought that recruiting smaller stick-monkeys would have an additional benefit, as it would lead to reduced crew weight in the massively overweight Dave (F-35). Provisional studies have since found that despite their lack of height, the new, shorter aircrew in fact weigh at least as much as their taller brethren, and in some cases more.

2SL has ordered an immediate review of weight/BMI limits for aircrew, and is instructing all catering staff to reduce portion sizes by an appropriate amount. Additionally NAAFI bar managers will only be able to sell limited amounts of nutty to all those in receipt of flying-pay.

brakedwell
11th Jan 2008, 12:21
Why not raise the height of the counter so flying hobbits can't reach it?

airborne_artist
11th Jan 2008, 12:32
Why not raise the height of the counter so flying hobbits can't reach it?This was trialled, but the AoRG (Aircrew of Restricted Growth) quickly worked out that if one stood on the shoulders of another the NAAFI bar manager could be easily fooled into thinking the one on top was a Fish-head.

althenick
11th Jan 2008, 15:50
It's a feature of the cost-cutting life that is now common throughout the Services. In order to get the new carriers Elizabeth and PoW through on a tight procurement budget, it has been necessary to reduce the headroom between decks to save on materials and weight. This means that Jack will have headroom 5'8" on all decks apart from the hangar.

The Dark Blue has therefore ceased recruiting anyone above that height, as it was further assessed that the costs of protective headgear for people over 5'8", and the possible costs of medical attention when cracking the bonce on the deckhead (ceiling to pongoes/cr@bs) would be too great.

AA
Excellent post! :ok: So were going to go full circle? - Anyone visited HMS Victory recently. At 5'9" even I almost smack my Napper on the deckheads!

Thanks for the reply's - Come to think of it, I have only met 2 tall Pilots in the Mil - One was ex WAFU Sea king Pilot (Cockpit must have plenty of Leg room) But the stunner was an Ex Tonka Driver who was working for FRADU Now this guy was TALL - I mean he must have broke 6'3" anyway.

airborne_artist
11th Jan 2008, 16:06
CobaltFrog, who frequents this board, is the best part of 6'6" I'm certain, and was formerly found in the RHS of the mighty Sea King.

Phil_R
11th Jan 2008, 16:07
Now this guy was TALL - I mean he must have broke 6'3" anyway.

I can only reiterate that I'm 6'4 or so and, although I obviously can't comment on the precise nature of the rules, I fit in the back seat of a Tornado without grazing my knees.