PDA

View Full Version : American Airlines Rudeness

James T. Kirk
11th Jan 2008, 01:28
A friend of mine flew with American, as he often does, and encountered some interesting customer service. Here's how not to do it folks - enjoy....

TO: Gerard J. Arpey
Chairman and CEO American Airlines
:eek:American Airlines Customer Relations
4255 Amon Carter Blvd. MD 2400
Fort Worth, TX 76155-2603

Frequent Flyer # 1234567

RE: EXTREMELY RUDE BEHAVIOR AT CHECK-IN AND MANAGER
Record Locator 123ABC, Pet’s Record Locator 321CBA
Round Trip Flight- # 192 LAX-BOS 12/18/07
BOS/LAX Flight # 25 01/06/08

DEAR SIR,

PLEASE ALLOW ME TO INTRODUCE MYSELF, I AM
EDUCATED, ARTICULATE, WELL DRESSED AND SPOKEN AND I
AM A COMMERCIAL FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR, LIC. # 7654321CFI.
AFTER WAITNG MY TURN IN LINE I WAS CALLED UP TO THE CHECK-IN COUNTER BY A LONG DARK HAIRED WOMEN AT THE AMERICAN AIRLINES BOSTON TERMINAL AT 06:35 EST.
I SAID “GOOD MORNING AND HAPPY NEW YEAR” TO WHICH SHE RESPONDED “I.D.”, I PROCEEDED TO HAND HER MY PASSPORT AND TICKET AND THE VETERINARIAN’S PAPERWORK FOR MY DOG WHO WAS TRAVELING WITH ME,
SHE ASKED TO SEE MY PET AND I LIFTED HER ABOVE THE COUNTER AND SHE IMMEDIATELY SAID THAT SHE WOULD NOT BE ALLOWED ON THE PLANE AS SHE WAS TOO BIG FOR THE CARRIER, I TOLD HER THAT SHE WAS UNDER THE ALLOTED WEIGHT AND THAT THE CARRIER WAS APPROVED BY AMERICAN AIRLINES AND HAD BEEN PERSONALLY PICKED OUT BY MY VET TO CARRY MY DOG AND THAT I HAD BEEN TRAVELING ON AMERICAN AIRLINES WITH MY DOG FOR NEARLY TEN YEARS AND HAD NEVER HAD HER SIZE QUESTIONED BEFORE….SHE SAID THAT DOESN’T MATTER AND SAID “I AM GOING TO GET MY SUPERVISOR”
THERE WERE APPROXIMATELY 50 -75 PEOPLE IN LINE BEHIND ME WAITING TO CHECK IN AND ONLY ONE OTHER
PERSON WORKING A CHECK-IN COUNTER, AFTER APPROXIMATLEY 8-10 MINUTES A WOMAN IN A BRIGHT YELLOW SWEATER WITH DARK SHORT HAIR AND A RADIO
CAME OUT OF AN OFFICE BEHIND THE BAGGAGE CAROUSEL WITH THE WOMEN I HAD SPOKEN WITH IN TOW…
THIS WOMEN STEPPED UP TO THE COUNTER AND WITHOUT SO MUCH AS A GOOD MORNING AND NO EYE CONTACT SAID “SHOW ME THE DOG” TO WHICH I RESPONDED “GOOD MORNING AND HAPPY NEW YEAR” WHICH SHE RESPONDED WITH “I DON’T HAVE TIME FOR THIS, WHERE’S THE DOG”..
AT THAT POINT I ASKED HER “WHY ARE YOU SO ANGRY
I AM A LONG TIME AMERICAN AIRLINES CUSTOMER (over 30 years) AND YOU HAVE COME OUT HERE IN A BAD MOOD AND I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK TO YOUR SUPERVISOR” TO WHICH SHE RESPONDED TO “I DON’T HAVE A SUPERVISOR ???? AND BESIDES HE ISN’T HERE RIGHT NOW..???? AND SHE CONTINUED ….”I DON’T HAVE TIME FOR THIS AND I DON’T CARE….HOW LONG YOU HAVE BEEN FLYING ON THIS AIRLINE..YOU ARE NOT GOING TO FLY UNLESS I SEE THE DOG..” I TOLD HERE THAT SHOWING HER THE DOG IS NOT A PROBLEM BUT HER RUDENESS WAS AND BESIDES I ASKED HER ARE YOU TELLING ME YOU DON’T HAVE TIME TO SPEAK WITH A LOYAL CUSTMER..????
I AGAIN RAISED MY DOG’S CARRIER UP SO SHE COULD SEE HER AND SHE RESPONDED..”THE DOG IS TOO BIG FOR THAT CARRIER AND SHE IS NOT GETTING ON THE FLIGHT…I TOLD HER I HAD BEEN FLYING WITH MY PET FOR CLOSE TO TEN YEARS AND EVERY AMERICAN AIRLINES CHECK-IN PERSONAL I HAD EVER DEALT WITH HAD NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH HER BEFORE…”THEY WERE ALL WRONG” SHE SAID….AND I TOLD HERE THAT I HAD SPENT OVER $3,000.00 DOLLARS JUST ON HAVING MY PET FLY WITH ME ON AMERICAN AIRLINES…TO WHICH SHE SAID…”I DON’T CARE ABOUT THAT”….I THEN OFFERED TO SHOW HER THAT THE DOG WAS SMALL ENOUGH FOR THE CARRIER BY HAVING MY DOG TURN AROUND IN THE CARRIER AND WHEN THIS DIDN’T PLEASE HER SHE SAID “YOUR NOT GETTING ON THIS FLIGHT, GO BUY A CARGO CARRIER AND YOU WILL HAVE TO SHIP “IT” AS CARGO BECAUSE SHE IS TOO SMALL FOR THAT CARRIER”. FOR WHATEVER REASON SHE WAS SO ANGRY IN HER LIFE SHE HAD BEGUN TO USE THE WRONG VERNACULAR, SO I ASKED HER …”WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER TOO SMALL”
“WELL” SHE YELLED REALIZING HER MISTAKE….”SHE CANNOT STAND UP IN THERE”..
AT THIS POINT I LOOKED OVER MY SHOULDER AND OF COURSE EVERYONE IN LINE IS WONDERING WHAT THIS WOMEN WAS ON….I UNZIPPED THE CARRIER AND HAD MY LITTLE DOG COME OUT WHO BY THIS TIME WAS SHAKING AND WHO BY THE WAY IS EPILEPTIC AND ANYONE WITH COMMON SENSE COULD SEETHAT THE CARRIER WAS FAR TALLER THEN MY DOG….
WHEN SHE SAW THAT SHE HAD BEEN WRONG …SHE NOT ONLY DID NOT APOLOGIZE FOR BEING WRONG OR FOR HER ANGER AND YELLING AND SCREAMING AND JUST PLAIN RUDE BEHAVIOR…BUT AS LOUDAS SHE COULD, STATED…”I WILL LET “IT” TRAVEL WITH YOU THIS TIME BUT I AM FLAGING YOUR NAME ANDYOU AND “THAT” DOG” WILL NOT BE FLYING ON THIS AIRLINE AGAIN”…AND WITH THAT SHE STORMED OFF IN THE DIRECTION SHE HAD COME, NEVER ONCE HAVING MADE EYE CONTACT WITH ME OR IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM HAVING TRIED TO CONVERSE IN AN ADULT MANNER.
THE COUNTER CHECK-IN PERSON WHO HAD ORIGINALLY STARTED ALL OF THIS NOW PROCEEDED TO PRINT MY TICKET (enclosed) AND CHARGED MY CREDIT CARD THE $80.00 DOLLARS FOR MY DOG, I ALSO BELIEVE THAT EVEN THOUGH SHE DID NOT APOLOGIZE SHE HAD NO IDEA THAT THIS SUPERVISOR WAS GOING TO COME OUT AND IN FRONT OF EVERYONE THROW A FIT…I COULD NOT SEE EITHER OF THESE WOMEN’S I.D. AND DID NOT WANT TO ASK AS I DID NOT KNOW WHAT WOULD OF HAPPENED CONSIDERING THAT I FELT THAT IF I HAD ARGUED IN ANY WAY WITH THIS “SUPERVISOR” THAT SECURITY WOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED AND SHE AS MUCH AS IMPLIED THAT, I AM SURE YOU CAN FIND OUT THROUGH THE LOG IN AT THAT STATION THAT PRINTED MY TICKET WHO THESE STELLAR EMPLOYEES ARE.
AFTER I RECEIVED MY TICKET AND WENT THROUGH SECURITY I HAD QUITE A NUMBER OF PASSENGERS THAT HAD WITNESSED YOUR EMPLOYEE’S EMBARRASSING BEHAVIOR COME UP TO ME AND TO MY CREDIT ALMOST ALL OF THEM MENTIONED THAT THEY WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN SO CALM WITH SOMEONE YELLING AND GIVING THEM SUCH A HARD TIME….BUT I HAVE LEARNED LONG AGO THAT RISING TO A PERSON’S IGNORANCE AND THE INABILITY TO CONVERSE IN A SOCIAL SETTING ONLY GIVES THAT ANGRY PERSON MORE POWER….ONE OF THE PERSONS THAT CAME UP TO ME TO ASK WHAT HAD HAPPENED WAS <Name removed> …..AN AMERICAN AIRLINES 767 PILOT WHO WAS ON THE WAY WITH HIS TWO SONS FOR A SKIING TRIP TO UTAH….HE AGREED THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR IS JUST NOT WHAT AMERICAN AIRLINES REPRESENTS AND THAT ACCORDING TO HIM HAPPENS ALL TO OFTEN.
I DO NOT FLY AS A COMMERCIAL PILOT ANYMORE BUT TEACH FLIGHT INSTRUCTION AT VAN NUYS ANDSANTA MONICA, I TEACH AEROBATICS AND SITUATIONAL AWARENESS (safety training) AND FLY SMALL JETS FOR PRIVATE FAMILIES, BUT I MAKE MY LIVING NOW WORKING FOR THE MAJOR FILM STUDIOS IN L.A. ON FEATURES AND I CAN TELL YOU WITH 200-500 PEOPLE WORKING ON A FILM THERE IS NEVER A PERSON THAT WOULD ACT IN THIS WAY AS THAT PERSON WOULD BE LET GO IN A HEART BEAT BECAUSE YOU CANNOT HAVE A PERSON IN A LEAD POSITION WHO MAKES EVERYONE ELSE FEEL AS IF THEY AREN’T PART OF THE CREATIVE PROCESS AND THIS IS TRUE IN ANY BUSINESS..
EMPLOYEES AND CUSTOMERS HAVE TO FEEL AS IF THEY MATTER NOT AS IF THEY ARE JUST CATTLE TO BE HEARDED IN SOMEONE’S OWN PRIVATE LITTLE FIFEDOM AND BECAUSE SHE CARRIES A RADIO AND YELLS IT’S HER WAY OR THE HIGHWAY.
TAKE THE DOG OUT OF THE PICTURE AND I ASK WHY WAS SHE SO ANGRY…???? AND IF I WAS WRONG THEN WHY THE NEED FOR THE YELLING AND THE THREATS AND THE TOTAL DISREGARD FOR MY BEING A LOYAL CUSTOMER…AND AFTER HAVING SEEN THAT SHE WAS WRONG…WHY NOT BE THE BETTER PERSONAND ADMIT SHE WAS WRONG AND SIMPLY APOLOGIZE FOR HER BEHAVIOR.
I HAVE LIVED AND TRAVELED ALL OVER THE WORLD, SPAIN, IRELAND, FRANCE, BRAZIL,MEXICO…ETC…AND HAVE NEVER..NEVER, EVER HAD ANYONE IN THE TRAVEL INDUSTRY SPEAK TO ME ORSHOW SUCH DISREGARD FOR SIMPLE COMMON COURTESY…AND JUST WHAT EXAMPLE DO YOU THINK THAT THIS SHOWED TO THE 75 PEOPLE WAITING IN LINE BEHIND ME….AND IF THIS PERSON HAS NO SENSE OF SOCIAL ETIQUETTE IN WHAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A RELATIVELY SIMPLE EXCHANGE BETWEEN TWO ADULTS I WOULD NOT WANT TO BE AROUND HER OR LISTEN TO HER IN A REAL EMERGENCY.
BOTH OF THESE WOMEN SHOWED TOTAL DISREGARD FOR EVEN A SIMPLE “GOOD MORNING” BUT THE SO CALLED “SUPERVISOR” WENT ABOVE AND BEYOND THE CALL OF RUDENESS…99% OF PEOPLE IN ANY INDUSTRY MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOR THE COMPANY THEY WORK FOR BUT AS IN ANY FIELD IT ONLY TAKESONE OR TWO TO RUIN THAT GOOD REPUTATION THAT ALL BUSINESS’S STRIVE FOR.
I DON’T SUGGEST ANY ACTION BE TAKEN AGAINST THESE TWO EMPLOYEES BECAUSE I KNOW THE PUBLIC CAN BE VERY DIFFICULT TO DEAL WITH…BUT HEY I AM ONE OF THE GOOD GUYS OUT THERE…I MAYNOT BE THE MOST FREQUENT FLYER OR FLY IN FIRST CLASS BUT WHEN ALL MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY HAVE GONE TO THE SO CALLED CHEAP AIRLINES , JET BLUE AND THE LIKE, I HAVE STUCK WITH AMERICAN BECAUSE I KNOW THE HISTORY OF THE AIRLINE INDUSTRY AND HOW THE MAJORS HELPED BUILD THIS COUNTRY AND THIS IS WHY I FLY AMERICAN, ALTHOUGH I WILL NOT BE FLYING AMERICAN WITH MY DOG EVER AGAIN… I WILL CONTINUE TO BE A CUSTOMER EVEN THOUGH FRIENDS AND FAMILY I HAVE TOLD ABOUT THISJUST SHAKE THEIR HEADS.
YOUR COMPANY SIR IS IN THE PEOPLE BUSINESS AND MY SUGGESTION IS THAT EVERY MORNING IN EVERY DEPARTMENT IN EVERY COUNTRY THAT AMERICAN FLIES EVERYONE FROM THE TOP ON DOWN STARTS THEIR DAY WITH A SMILE….BECAUSE A SMILE AND POLITENESS GO A LONG …LONG ..WAY.

WITH KINDEST REGARDS

<Name removed for obvious reasons>

saffron
11th Jan 2008, 07:08
Only suprised it wasn't United Airlines,just about every time I travel with them the check-in staff are rude & unhepfull,might be something to do with thm having a monopoly on the route I fly with them.

WHBM
11th Jan 2008, 10:41
There was a time when the USA showed the rest of the world how to do customer service, but alas those days have gone.

zed3
11th Jan 2008, 11:45
I for one am waiting to see American's response , if any (!) . Please , please post when it arrives .

strake
11th Jan 2008, 12:12
What a terribly long letter. Quite cathartic for the author no doubt but a long-winded collection of emotional ramblings to the recipient.

How about:

Dear Mr CEO,

As a frequent flyer with American for over 20 years, I was very disappointed to be treated in what I consider to be a highly offensive manner by one of your check-in staff and her supervisor when I tried to travel to xx from xxx with my dog using an AA approved pet carrier.

I am extremely upset about this incident and wondered if you would care enough about the issue to instruct one of your senior managers to contact me on xxx xxxx xxxx to discuss the matter further.

Yours sincerely.

Dave Gittins
11th Jan 2008, 12:24
I can only speak as I find and although last summer in the Belagio in Las Vegas I found a night manager very similar to the AA woman when at 1.00 a.m. I complained that my non-smoking room smelt as though the smoking lobby had just held a convention there and was left to feel it was my fault and that one more word would have me and my cases pitched out onto the steret, that was a very isolated incident.

However having just flown with AA from LHR to O'Hare and with United Express from O'Hare to Colorado Springs before Christmas and done the whole thing in reverse last week, both airlines staffs were nothing other than helpful polite and courteous.

My experiences are that the US DOES surpass the UK for front line customer service.

apaddyinuk
11th Jan 2008, 13:49
That letter was a bit santamonious was it not??? And an epileptic dog?? Really, no need for that to be mentioned.

I agree with Strake, a short and to the point letter would have been appropriate...how do I know??? Well I used to work in customer relations for an airline, a good airline. If I had received a letter like this I would have already begun to write up a "sorry for the incident, please fly with us again, taraa" letter as I would have felt that there was just too much sensationalism and therefore possible exaggeration in the letter!

Also, I remember once sitting in J class on a flight to the states with the same airline I worked in Customer Relations for. I was very much in front row for disgraceful behaviour from perhaps the rudest individual I have ever experienced. He gave the cabin crew hell and really dragged down the flight for the rest of the passengers in the cabin. The crew were amazing in how they dealt with him even when the passenger sitting in the seat next to him wanted to punch his lights out. Anyways, a few weeks later I am sitting at my desk when suddenly a letter arrives in front of my desk addressed to the CEO (yes, its true, CEO's do not answer their own mail, they have whole departments to do that) telling a story of how this really nice passenger had been treated so appallingly by the evil crew of this particular flight. Straight away I knew it was this passenger and as a witness to the situation I knew that it was total BS what was written in the letter.

Now, I am not saying that this letter is BS but it is certainly not a way to write a letter to an airlines CEO!

Avman
11th Jan 2008, 15:09
Sorry, Paddy, but the truth is that no matter how you write a letter, 99% of the time you will get a bog standard defensive and dismissive reply. I agree with you though that it's only too easy for the aggressor to claim to be the victim. I have had a few unfortunate confrontations with grumpy (having a bad day) airline staff and just had to swallow my pride and live with the injustice of not being able to do anything about it. And now days (since 911), as mentioned above, if you simply dare to confront a rude airline employee you immediately get to be labelled a troublemaker and threatened with "I'll call security on you". And as a customer, just try to speak to a Customer Relations Manager. Impossible!

IRRenewal
11th Jan 2008, 15:52
Is it just me or do others think that writing a formal letter with your caps lock on comes across as rude and shouting? Just what the author of this letter accuses others of.

Avman
11th Jan 2008, 15:54
I doubt very much that what you see above is an actual copy of the original.

PAXboy
11th Jan 2008, 17:47
Beat me to it Avman. There is everything wrong with this letter. It may have had some kernel of truth but it sounds like a standard dumb attempt to bring muck on to AA. I am sure that AA (like any other large company) is quite capable of being very bad and rude but this letter is not true.

Rhiannon
11th Jan 2008, 17:55
The letter writer professes to be well-educated and well-spoken (if you are you need not say so, the letter should create the impression for you). He undoes any possibility of this by using all caps, rambling and making grammatical errors (one woman is a womAn, more than one is womEn).

Rants just make you look like a lunatic, even when you have a legitimate case. Also, not making a point to get the employees' names is a big mistake and undermines your case.

Contacttower
11th Jan 2008, 18:22
I am sure that AA (like any other large company) is quite capable of being very bad and rude but this letter is not true.

Considering that no one here actually witnessed this incident I'm rather surprised at the 'judgement' (especially saying that the letter isn't true) that people seem to be passing. It's not the letter I'd write, but I can see that spelling out exactly 'what happened' has its advantages. Other than this bit:

PLEASE ALLOW ME TO INTRODUCE MYSELF, I AM
EDUCATED, ARTICULATE, WELL DRESSED AND SPOKEN

which really made me laugh and the fact that the letter is far too 'American' for PPRuNe taste (only in the US would one think fit to write 'please allow me to introduce myself' and quote your pilot's licence number :ugh:) I can't see why people are getting so judgmental.

Naughty AA. :=