PDA

View Full Version : CPL/ATPL subject - which one did/do you find the hardest?

G_STRING
10th Jan 2008, 10:52
For those of you who have completed / nearly completed your groundschool studies, which of the subject did you have the most difficulty with, and why.

My nemesis has got to be Met, it took me ages to get my head around lapse rates and climatology, for example <still can't quite get it now>

stator vane
10th Jan 2008, 13:48
though it was in 02-i barely skimmed through the first take of met---almost everyone i talk to feels the same about MET having the biggest teeth!

actually the only one i failed--was the air law--the first test i took. i had no idea how anal the tests would end up being!!!

it was a wake up call and all the rest, i passed first time.

i was able to take them in any order i wished since i had globs of flight experience and did not need to attend any school system.

i used bristol and went to their two week prep for air nav, perf, systems, flt planning. i also got most of the oxford books as well.

speedrestriction
10th Jan 2008, 13:57
And the point of this thread is.........??? Bottom line, you have to take them all sooner or later so best just getting on with it.

sr

stator vane
10th Jan 2008, 19:10
i suppose you never asked how others were doing whilst you were taking the absurd tests yourself?

Leezyjet
10th Jan 2008, 21:32
Personally, I found Gen Nav a bit of a toughy. Met doesn't seem too bad so far !!.
:eek:

MarkColeman
11th Jan 2008, 02:24
by far met for me, scraped a 75% result in it, i was pretty damn releived!

kiwi chick
11th Jan 2008, 02:31
Met.

It's a bitch. Hated it. Can't remember a thing except that the fluffy white ones are called cumulus and you don't fly into the towering ones.

ksa5223
11th Jan 2008, 09:47
LOL!................

BitMoreRightRudder
11th Jan 2008, 11:40
I actually really liked Met. Found it a lot more easy to absorb than pissing around with a whiz wheel and trying to work out what the hell polar stereographics and mercator charts were all about. So no prizes for guessing the Gen Nav was my nemesis. Principles of Flight was a bit of an arse aswell. Still use a lot of the Met syllabus on a practical basis every day at work and the excellent stuff passed on by Ken at BGS really does come in useful.

The ATPLs won't change, it's an awful lot of study and effort only to dump most of it once the results are in, but you have to pass them to get in the club.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
11th Jan 2008, 12:05
I think I found VFR and IFR comms the most challenging ;).

SAA
11th Jan 2008, 12:05
same here, met and also performance for me for some reason!! Hate them all really!!

G_STRING
11th Jan 2008, 15:14
Thanks for all your posts so far, I'm relieved, (but not surprised), that I'm not on my own with Met.

All I see when I dream at night is a diagram, showing the DALR, SALR.....

David Horn
11th Jan 2008, 20:25
All I see when I dream at night is a diagram, showing the DALR, SALR.....

Consider yourself lucky. In my dreams the bloody thing is chasing me. :)

tom_ace
11th Jan 2008, 22:29
met was a nightmare, i got 76%; 1% too much effort

stator vane
12th Jan 2008, 06:43
if you ever think you might interview for the likes of cathay.

i do believe they are the very ones behind this entire absurd test system.

they most likely wear a long-pencil-thin mustache!!

kiwi chick
13th Jan 2008, 20:27
FP_Ace...

Likewise... but I got 89%... so don't get too excited - it WILL escape... LOL!

clanger32
13th Jan 2008, 20:50
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the actual exams themselves are actually next to meaningless given that just about all the questions (UK at least) are pretty readily available on t'interweb?

I mean, I really like the concept that we should know something of the theory, but given that the results are undoubtedly skewed by the availability of the questions, are they a real reflection of ones knowledge of the subject?

On the initial topic, I started finding Met really tough, but our instructor got changed and it suddenly became a hell of a lot easier - ended with 99%....Now Radio Nav, THAT is causing me some headaches....

tom_ace
14th Jan 2008, 13:15
I think it is very important to learn it - despite the ready availability of feedback. although some if it is dross, a lot will be very important for not only interviews, but when you get a job!

FougaMagister
14th Jan 2008, 13:32
Mine was VFR comms... no, just kidding!

I recall it was Gen Nav :ugh: (although to my surprise I passed first time). Also struggled to do Mass & Balance in the short time available (1 hour)... then spent 3 years working as a flight dispatcher! :ok:

Cheers :cool:

Bearing 123
14th Jan 2008, 14:53
I agree with Tom Ace don't just rely on the feedback to get you through. Yes there is a lot of padding in there but when you do get to the job interview depending on who it is, you will find that Met, POF and JAR Ops can figure heavily in the tech questions and these won't be based on feedback !!!.
Also in the day to day job, Performance and Met are an everyday occurence.

Gen Nav was mine as its just to easy to run out of time in the exam. (Damn Whizz Wheel)

Good luck with it:ok: