PDA

View Full Version : Studying for Type Ratings

gunit
9th Jan 2008, 16:25
Hello all, I will be starting my first type rating within the next couple of months, and I'd like to ask people who've completed one:
1)whats the best way to approach the groundschool element?
2)whats the best way to approach the flying element?
3)do you get any free time?
4)What would you do differently in the next type rating to make life easier?
5)your top tip

thank you for replys in advance!:ok:

badboy raggamuffin
9th Jan 2008, 17:36
Ground school: mine was a nightmare. All the groundschool was packed into 5 days and I found the CBT (computer based training) to be tedious and laborious. It might be a good way of learning for some people, but not for me. Worked day and night and still struggled to get it all learnt before the exam. Tips for ground school: revise any areas of the airframes and systems ATPL sylabus you are not sure of so that when u get there u will at least have some idea of what a "DC busbar" is for example. The groundschool for mine was pretty much all airframes and systems, there was a performance exam as well, but it was nowhere near as complex as the performance stuff in the ATPL sylabus.

Sim training:
u need to get it into your head that flying a multicrew aircraft is more about flight management than in a light ac. By this I mean managing the systems, the auto pilot, the flight route, checklists etc. As such, a lot of the work can be done outside the sim, try to get a cockpit poster and run through the procedures and checks as much as possible, if you can do this with your sim partner all the better. Time in the sim is limited and expensive, so try to do as much learing and preparation outside the sim as you can.

Did I have any free time?
During the ground school no, the CBT and evening study took up pretty much the whole day. I had a few days off between the gs and the sim training though.
During the sim training, yes. The sim sessions were 4 hrs long and I spent a couple of hours revising procedures so I had a few hours each day to chill out, which were much needed.

What would you do differently in the next type rating to make life easier?
Get hold of the aircraft manuals in advance to do some pre-study before the ground school.

Top tip:
Learn the procedures before you go in the sim and do as much "armchair flying" as you can before you go mad. Get plenty of rest and sleep, my tr was pretty intense and I definitley needed a holiday afterwards.

pipertommy
9th Jan 2008, 19:40
Hi,sorry to jump in!Just wondered what exactly they concentrated on with perfomance.Is it the actual planning side of things,rather than drag curves or lift formula theory side of things.
Thanks
PT

CAT3C AUTOLAND
9th Jan 2008, 19:48
Gunit, some good advice here and I can only support what has been said.

I found my type rating course very tough, purely because of the intensity over a short period of time, and most likely alot of my brain cells have died over the years so I guess that didnt help :p.

One piece of advice I would give you is when you start the course, set yourself targets and stick to them. You will be given training material that you need to go through and learn. As badboy said, it will most likely be in the CBT format, along with FCOM's. When I did the Airbus course we had a scehdule to work to, which if you stuck to it, would allow you one day of revision before the exam at the end. Perhaps it was just me but I could never have digested the volume of information required to get through it if I had done that. Therefore I worked everyday 12 - 14 hours a day and got at least 5 days ahead of the game. This gave plenty of time for revision and to tie up any loose ends, before the exam.

Unlike badboy, I didnt feel I had much time to chill out. Again the simulator sessions were intense, with only really enough time to do complete each task once. The simulator hours can also be unsocialble, therefore your sleep patterns may get out of check and you will find yourself tired. There is a lot of work to do working through the FCOM's, learning SOP's and profiles.

I agree with Badboy regarding manuals and getting hold of the CBT if you can. Any head start is a bonus and will make it easier for you.

Enjoy your course, it is nice when you pop out the other side, get the rating in your licence and start flying the real aircraft, which makes it all worth.

All the best.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
9th Jan 2008, 19:53
Piper Tommy, it is more of the practical side of performance, even though you do recap of stuff you saw on your ATPL's.

You will utilise of the tables, graphs for the aircraft type to solve perfomance problems, along with weight and balance etc.

From the airline day to day point of view, alot of stuff that you cover in the performance course you will never do again.

dartagnan
9th Jan 2008, 20:10
mine was tough too. I even lost weight.
sim sessions in the middle of the night, hard time to sleep...and lot of stress due to the cost in case of remedial sessions.
I finally managed it, and I am type rated on the 320.
If I had to do it again, no and not at my own cost.

Artie Fufkin
9th Jan 2008, 20:12
B737 type rating;

Groundschool - I had 4 weeks, 3 and a half weeks tech, half a week company performance and loading. Personally I found this far less intense than ATPL groundschool. No real tips as it is purely learn and churn. By the end of 4 weeks it can get very, very boring! Got home 2 of the 3 weekends, but stayed on the last weekend so as to be able to access CBT during final exam revision.

(Pipertommy - the performance stuff that we did was all practical - how to interpret and use company performance manuals, how to do manual loadsheets etc. Some basics were reviewed - what is V2, ASDA/TODA, V1 ranges etc, in a 2 hour session but ATPL level knowledge is assumed and not covered.)

Sim - 4 hours per day, with 3 or 4 days on, 3 to 4 days off, a month in total. Time off was more than enough. All sims at reasonable hours of the day - the merits of the 2am sim shift have been long discreditted.

Tips would be to learn your power and attitude settings very well so as to allow you to manually fly the aircraft well and concentrate on the emergencies and drills (although majority of the sim is done with autopilot in).

Get to know your sim partner well. As suggested above, "armchair" fly all your drills with your sim partner back at the hotel. Help each other along.

Finally, accept critisism from your instructor unconditionally and if you are struggling with something, don't try and hoodwink the instructor. Sounds mad, but one person on my course was chopped for doing this. If you make a hash of something, put your hands up and discuss it frankly.

Re Dartagnan's comments on weight loss - wow, my entire course gained about half a stone, what with all the free food at the hotel. Indeed, many uniforms, measured before the TR, had to be sent back for alteration!!

BelArgUSA
9th Jan 2008, 20:34
I am training manager for my airline.
Personally, I teach 747-200 pilots, and F/Es, classroom, simulator and line training.
I am TRE-TRI... so, excuse me, but I think I know a little about how to...
xxx
If you never went through TR training, dont go study by yourself.
You might end on the wrong track, especially if using "other airlines manuals".
However, if you have the actual manuals, and decide not to listen to my advice...
xxx
Best sequence of system and procedures studies - Boeing 747 (classroom)
Can adapt following sequence to 737 (and 727 as well)...
xxx
(1) Electrical system -
Electrical`power sources, engine and APU generators, external power, AC distribution, DC power and distribution and buses, memorize items on essential bus, items on stanby bus, hot wired items on hot battery bus.
Study electrical limitations, memorize recall items of loss of all generators.
xxx
(2) Fuel system -
Fuel tank layout and fuel distribution, fuel servicing, capacity of tanks, fuel pumps and shutoff valves, fuel transfer and jettison, fuel heat. Fuel system limitations.
xxx
(3) Powerrplant -
Engine design and type, engine limitations, ground and flight start, engine lubrication and cooling, engine fuel system (FCU), bleed air valves, reversers. Fire detection/protection.
xxx
(4) APU -
Design, limitations, fuel control, in-flight use limitations if applicable, fire detection/protection.
xxx
(5) Pneumatic System -
Distribution and ducts, engine bleed valves and controls to A/C packs, temperature limitations.
xxx
(6) Air Conditioning -
Temperature control (cabin) and cargo hold, cabin distribution, zone controls,
aux electric heaters. Automatic and manual controls of A/C. cargo hold (belly) fire detection/protection. Smoke goggles and smoke equipment, portable O2.
xxx
(7) Pressurization -
Cabin pressurization limits, outflow valves (auto and manual control), loss of pressurization check list (memory items), Oxygen system, portable O2 - emergency descent check list (memory items). Profiles for descent, speeds etc.
xxx
(8) Anti-Ice -
Engine anti-ice, wing thermal anti.ice, windshield heat, probe heat - For all items, study limitations.
xxx
(9) Hydraulic Systems -
Engine driven pumps (air driven pumps), hydraulic systems distribution. Gear and brakes, anti-skid, alternate extension of gear, limitations.
xxx
(10) Flight Controls -
Trailing edge items, leading edge items, hydraulic and alternate electrical operation, limitations, outboard/indboard ailerons, spoilers, rudder, stab trim, CCA and autopilots A/B/C... limitations.
xxx
(11) Flight Instruments, communications, navigation -
Power sources (P Panels, buses), operation of autoflight, flight instruments, speed limitations, flight directors, warning lights and aural warnings.
xxx
(12) FLIGHT OPERATIONS MANUAL (FOM) -
Memorize all limitations and review memory recall items.
Study non-normal/emergency check lists.
Performance, takeoff, climb, cruise, landing tables. Fuel required.
Weight and balance (passenger and/or cargo aircraft).
xxx
(13) Written Test - 80% grade pass...
xxx
FLIGHT CREW TRAINING MANUAL (FCTM) -
(Start study FCTM before simulator training)
Check list, appropriate knowledge of check lists and procedures.
Initial training for type rating as follows -
xxx
(A) Sim training - NORMAL OPS (2 sessions PF, 2 sessions PNF) - VMC
Normal takeoff, climb, cruise, stall recoveries, steep turns 45º bank, speed control, descent, approach, normal landings landings.
xxx
(B) Sim Training.- INSTRUMENT PROCEDURES (2 sessions PF, 2 sessioms PNF) VMC/IMC
Normal takeoff, climb, area departure (SID) - holding, speeds for holding, approach and landings ILS, VOR, ADF, missed approaches. Cat.II ILS procedures (PNF).
xxx
(C) Sim Training - ADNORMAL/EMERGENCIES (2 sessions PF, 2 sessions PNF) VMC/IMC
Engine failure before V1 (reject), after V1 (climb), engine out ILS, VOR, ADF, to full stop landing and to missed approach (engine fire) - 2 engines out approach (VMC at 800 ft AGL) Decision to land. Abnormal flight control configurations.
xxx
(D) Oral exam (2 hours) and Simulator Check (PF and PNF) - 2 hrs
If PIC qualification, must include 2 engine-out maneuvers and landing.
If SIC only qualification (cruise co-pilot) V1 reject and emergency descent not required.
xxx
Hope this will assist you...
Do not forget to settle the bill for beers after debriefing (when I am TRE...)
:)
Happy contrails

speedrestriction
9th Jan 2008, 20:40
Also if applicable to your company/aircraft, Cat II / III ops may be worth a look through in your ATPL notes.

sr

Chintito
9th Jan 2008, 20:46
for the LST, if you've got a paper holder on your right hand side, get yourself a few flashcards and write down the EFATO and go around procedures for the different type of approaches. keep it concise and clear so you dont have to spent too long or squint. a quick glance during the exercise can reassure you and open up your capacity to think ahead.

Things come at you fast in sim details. forgetting or overlooking small things can really screw you up and you will kick yourself. these mistakes dont necessarily demonstrate any inherent competency issues but is more of a capacity issue. some instructors will recognise this, others might not be so forgiving.

do not discard the technical knowledge you gained during groundschool. a weakness in this might send you down the wrong alley when diagnosing a malfunction for instance.

pipertommy
10th Jan 2008, 08:32
Thanks CAT3C AUTOLAND and Artie fufkin!:ok:

Mungo Man
10th Jan 2008, 09:23
Well done gunit for getting this far!

My first type rating was last year and although we didn't race through the groundschool, the TR was quite fast paced. I had 5 days in the sim then a single day off, then 3 more days before the LST. The 10th day was reserved for CATII ops but ended up being used to finish off the other guys LST which took longer than planned.

The single biggest thing that helped me was getting Microsoft Flight Sim and buying an add-on for the Embraer 145. This proved invaluable initially for the sim assessment before getting the job. It was also great for learning to find your way around the switches and being able to play with the autopilot and various other systems long before starting the TR. This was a huge advantage to me I feel.

Otherwise, keep calm, remember if it all goes to pot - FLY THE PLANE then take stock.

Learn all the limitations, emergency vital actions if any, engine failure / fire procedures until you can recite them in your sleep!

Good luck!

Pilot Pete
10th Jan 2008, 09:36
My thoughts.

1. Get hold of the ACTUAL manuals that you will be using ASAP, preferably before the course starts. Tech is tech usually for the aircraft, so tech manuals/CBT are pretty much the same for the groundschool. Airline Ops Manuals are significantly different so you need THE manuals for your operator.

2. Study the tech first and don't be daunted by the volume, just work through it methodically in a fashion that suits you. This is important. How do you learn info best? Just reading it and it stays in? Writing it down (like me), even though it is written on the page in front of you? Do what works best for you.

3. Do not be tempted to get ahead of yourself. Take each stage as it comes and only prepare for each stage when the previous one has been successfully completed. I know a friend who was trying to learn the SOPs and asking me shed loads of questions about the operation before he had even done the tech course. Needless to say he was wasting his time as by the time he was going to need this info the SOPs had changed! Extreme I know, but no point being able to recite the recall items before your tech course and then failing the ARB exam......

4. If you are not a 'photographic memory' type person (one on my last type rating course was), then expect to work long and hard at each stage. Don't plan on anything else during your course - I know one guy who was moving house, another who had a holiday booked and was trying to still go etc etc. Plan to devote your all to the mission of passing this course, and not just scraping through, I mean getting the highest possible marks/ results you can. Remember the instructor scores/ comments and your results are going to be the first entry in your training file with said airline and will follow you throughout your career with them. In a few years time when looking for captains the first thing the selection board will do is pull your file and look at how you did on your initial type rating course and how you have progressed since then in LPC/OPC and Line Checks.

5. If you have a partner, sit down and talk to them. If you have friends who have done a similar type rating try getting them to talk to your partner as well. I have done 757/767 and 737/300-900 type rating courses with Command Training on the last one and I am someone who has to work hard to achieve my personal goals. My other half knows that I will not be on the phone everyday at a regular time able to chat for an hour or so due to the pressures of the course. Remember it can take a toll on them keeping home life together without your support etc. Hopefully by explaining all this beforehand you can avoid distractions of relationship problems at a critical time during your training. Here in the UK from day one to signed off to line on the types I have mentioned can take up to 6 months. Obviously there will be breaks in there and you can spend time with your better half, but I know for me a lot of that time I was (obviously) pre-occupied with what was coming next and trying to get ahead of the game again!

6. Plan a little down time. Don't go down the pub every night on your groundschool or you will probably screw up, but on the courses I have been on we usually had a night in the pub for dinner and a few beers once each week. You will all be extremely anal in the pub, accept that and don't try and impress the local girls as that may become a distraction!:=

7. If you struggle with something SPEAK UP early. Do not be embarrassed to ask for help. Amongst a group of half a dozen, someone will have the correct answer and someone else will be just as baffled as you! Obviously if you are struggling with everything then you may have bitten off more than you can chew, but we all have moments on a course when we just don't get it......

8. Adjust your attitude. Keep your end goal in sight, but concentrate on each stage as it comes. The right attitude will see success when otherwise you would have failed. You will get more from your instructors if you are keen to learn, show a desire to succeed, can recognise and openly admit to your own mistakes and are willing to LISTEN and apply the lessons from their training input.

9. When it comes to the sim course, learn the profiles and SOPs off by heart well in advance and keep practising them. Learn scan flows and set up using the cockpit pictures/ cardboard bomber and if you can get hold of your training partner work together as soon as you can. Remember it is a two crew operation and you will be assessed on how you operate as a crew. Don't try and point score, support and prompt the other guy if you are better than him as this will be looked at favourably by an instructor. Don't worry, they will ask you to stop assisting if they need to see the other guy do something specific, or they need to let the guy hang himself......!

10. Collate all your references for each sim session and ensure you are fully read up on what is to come. Usually your instructor will tell you what you will cover in the next session in his 'look forward' at the end of the previous session debrief. Remember that there will be material in several different sections of the Operations Manual and you need to get ALL of it to hand to ensure you fully understand and turn up well prepared for the next sim. As an example, there may be material in Part B Normal Operations, or Supplementary Procedures as well as the Flight Crew Training Manual (the manufacturers 'ops' manual), Part A may have more general info and of course the Quick Reference Handbook may have something you need, especially for non-normals. Any of these may require you to check other documents such as the Performance Inflight Manual etc, so getting to grips with WHERE all this info is, HOW to find it quickly and HOW one leads to the other is important and can take hours of research and collation. If you do this you look well prepared to the instructor at the start of your briefing before the next sim, when you are asking INTELLIGENT, RELATED questions which have arisen from your research as opposed to not asking anything and then showing your shortfalls during the sim session.....

11. I always kept a note of all the debriefing sessions for the sim. I would then type them up, a bit like this, into learning points. This can really help as you can review the notes and hopefully not make the same mistakes again in future sessions. Remember that on a major type the sim can be strung out over a month or so, pretty hard to remember EVERY mistake you made a month on.......

12. Do NOT bitch about things that don't go your way. There will be moments where you think you are lacking support, when the admin is not done, when delays occur to your training, where you get dicked about by Crewing/ Crew Training, when you have to be flexible beyond belief, when it seems they are doing everything to help you fail, when NOTHING seems to be going your way. Remember, on the day they recruited you they had made a judgement about you and your suitability. I guarantee they had the impression that you are the sort of person that can overcome adversity and keep focussed to stick to a task. This may well be the first test of that, get on with it and live up to the potential you have shown.

13. Stick with it. It can be a long hard slog and it would be a shame to take a dip in performance towards the end.

What would I do differently next time? I can't actually think of anything, I would approach the next course as I have listed above as it has worked for me thus far!:ok:

Hope this helps.

PP

gunit
11th Jan 2008, 11:41
THANKS everyone for giving excellent replys! appreciate the time.:ok:

stue
11th Jan 2008, 12:13
Some VERY good info on here gunit!

Just coming up to the end of groundschool for my 1st TR (737) and I couldn’t add anything else that hasn’t already been said.

(Still got to pass the tech exam on Wednesday though!:eek:)

Good luck with it!:ok:

pipertommy
11th Jan 2008, 13:33
Reference the CBT groundschool side of things.Do you get the work to download on to your laptop or is the training completed via a classroom mounted computer.Thanks.

Artie Fufkin
11th Jan 2008, 15:52
Classroom computers. No access via personal laptops.

pipertommy
12th Jan 2008, 06:41
Thanks for the reply :)

fade to grey
12th Jan 2008, 13:26
Hmmm,TR course -I have done three:

citation -taking a drink from a bucket
146 -taking a drink from a hose
757 -taking a drink from niagara falls

prepare your friends and family not to see you during the GS...

Never again -unless its a 787 ;)

Arfur Feck-Sake
12th Jan 2008, 21:59
If you're based in a hotel during groundschool, make sure you have a decent desk lamp for those evenings of reading.

Mr_Fly_By_Wire
13th Jan 2008, 09:49
I would like to say thank you for everyone who contributed to this thread. I start my first type rating very soon, and the advice is very much appreciated. :}

Mr F

FlyingApe
14th Jan 2008, 17:51
It's all very hard work, more so, in my opinion than the ATLP exams. However I found you don't have to worry too much about the ATPL theory you've already done, It is ALL about the specific type.

Learning the procedures first will help enormously. As will learning the vital actions (memory items). I found it important to get good quality rest, and light exercise everday on the GS and especially the Sim.

Line training is also hard work yet very satisfying. At last you are really learning to be an airline pilot. A few years later you will be. I hope to be one in another couple of years !

Then I can learn about flying. Yep it never ends!

Good Luck With the TR

gunit
16th Jan 2008, 10:57
keep the thread going.:ok:

powerstall
16th Jan 2008, 11:46
when we had our type rating.... the 1st two weeks were full of CBT's, performance exams and figuring out the electrical/hydraulic system... then the following days.... ****ty schedule for our sims... early mornings and late evenings...

1st two weeks... mental
then comes the sim part.... ever perspired while the aircon is at full? hehehe?:{

good luck!:ok:

pipertommy
19th Jan 2008, 19:25
Does anyone know a good site for downloading cockpit scan patterns for the 737(classic)?
Thanks for any help!
PT

theWings
20th Jan 2008, 23:59
Done two TRs, took my own advice and the 2nd was much easier...

Fatigue can become a MAJOR performance factor. Don't arrive tired. Keep a close eye on your tiredness levels and delay the point at which you become tired (oh, you will) until as late as possible in the course. Eat properly and consider supplements.

Learning things for the first time is much more tiring than re-learning something you have a bit of a clue about. So reading the manuals before hand won't make you ready for the GS exam on Day 1, if only. But it will allow you to understand some of the systems logic/concepts and to memorise some important info such as QRH memory items and a/c limitations.

Good Luck! :ok:

theWings
21st Jan 2008, 00:01
PT, try The Boeing 737 Technical Site (http://www.b737.org.uk)

pipertommy
21st Jan 2008, 06:48
Thanks !I`ve bought the book,but as the title says,its only a technical guide.
Thanks for the help anyway!
Cheers PT