PDA

View Full Version : Marines on Rib into a Chinook - very fast!

Razor61
9th Jan 2008, 00:23
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=71d_1183739078

They don't arf come at it!!

9th Jan 2008, 05:46
Not the first time I've seen that video however, last time it was listed as USN SEALs.

gijoe
9th Jan 2008, 08:22
Not Brits.

We did it once, took many phots and vidoes, but I think the frame has yet to be fully cleaned and dried as it has been so busy since!

G:ok:

Brian Abraham
9th Jan 2008, 11:28
Not a Chinook. CH-46 I'd say.

GIATT
9th Jan 2008, 14:34
Looks like fun, but as one that spends a fair amount of time afloat that is not a RIB, just an inflatable. That said the helmsman did well to counter the effects of the downdraught and thread the needle so to speak.

Hate to think what the prop did to the floor of the heli.

GPMG
9th Jan 2008, 14:41
I can't see a lot of need for that in standard ops, the training required and the timing etc would be pretty critical. Also the potential loss of a Helo / crew and boat party, would surely make it a bit too risky.

Would look nice in a James Bond film though, speaking of which has anyone seen the reports about his new sidekick?? Roll on the next film.

doubledolphins
9th Jan 2008, 14:59
I have driven a gemini up a beach often enough. You unfasten the down lock on the outboard prior to making your run. (It is only needed going astern.)Then tilt it as you are about to hit, cutting the power as you do. The screw will not touch any thing.

talk_shy_tall_knight
9th Jan 2008, 15:30
The screw will not touch any thing.

...except the crewmans leg as he reaches across to whack a strop on. The bugger always seemed to take forever to stop spinning...and to satisfy the spotters it's a MIB (medium) not a RIB (rigid).:8

minigundiplomat
9th Jan 2008, 16:48
Not a Chinook. CH-46 I'd say

Looks like a wokka to me!

Tandemrotor
9th Jan 2008, 17:03
GPMG
I can't see a lot of need for that in standard ops,

In 'standard' ops you are probably correct.

Not everything is 'standard' though!

GreenKnight121
9th Jan 2008, 18:47
I agree... CH-46.

It seems too narrow for a CH-47, and the rounded ceiling looks different than on the one Chinook I flew in.

It does, however, look like the Sea Knight I practiced loading/unloading with in USMC boot camp.

Of course, both events are 26+ years in the past, so my memory might be a tad fuzzy.

minigundiplomat
9th Jan 2008, 19:40
Cameras do narrow the CH47 cabin. Also the soundproofing is fitted on the ramp area, which isn't on the UK Mk2/2A.

Could be a CH46 but if it is, it has a Chinook ramp with Chinook floor points, transmission covers and an identical Hyd system, in the exact same positions as the Chinook.

humpndump
9th Jan 2008, 20:48
Deffo CH 47:ok:

10th Jan 2008, 04:01
Here's the longer version of that footage. You get to see it from the outside and yes it is a Chinook (MH-47).

(quick up against the wall)
http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?displayContent=159070&page=2

SoundByDesign
10th Jan 2008, 05:23
So that's how they keep the presidents pizza hot. ;))

doubledolphins
10th Jan 2008, 10:03
TSTK, I think you will find the screw is at the blunt end , the crewmen with strops at the pointy end. Having said that, on the subjuct of damage from twirly wirly thingies, just how much clearance is there between the boat's crews heads and the after rotor. I get the impression that it is not much.

talk_shy_tall_knight
10th Jan 2008, 10:49
DD

There are many ways to skin a cat. Pull up a sandbag and give that lamp a swing.

In th'olden days we used to carry out this technique on our Chinooks. Our technique certainly differed to that on the film clip. We would 'sink' the back end much deeper to allow the MIB (ickle boat) to drive completely inside the cabin as opposed to running aground on the ramp as portrayed here. The No 1 crewman (me) would talk the aircraft down to the required depth to flood the cabin. The correct depth was very carefully monitored using advanced visual technology (bit of dayglo tape stuck to a particular component in the ramp area). In my position at the ramp hinge, I was in knee deep water (totally surreal at the time) though given the nose up attitude of the beast, the closer you went to the sharp end the shallower the water. Notwithstanding, there still had to be a physical barrier within the cabin to stop the bow wave of the oncoming boat overwhelming the cockpit and making the wiggly-amp bits go fizzy. Given the open nature of these forums, I am not in a position unfortunately to divulge the exact nature of the construction of the 'dam', suffice to say that it was so ingenious you could source it locally in any theatre at B&Q for £20. As the boat approached the crewman would step up onto the seat rail as can be seen in the clip and as soon as the boat was in the crewman would (sometimes) lob a ratchet strop over the blunt end which brought one into close proximity of the spinny whirly thing. Having once asked the troops for a go in the boat (not driving it of course) I can testify that it is very difficult for the driver (cox?). The aircraft is obviously under power and into wind. The boat would have to punch through the down wash, keeping the power on as late as possible to retain steerage (in the clip he appears to stoof it into the Port side as he enters) then get the power off quick to avoid crowding the aircraft cockpit, and lift the engine to save ripping it off on entry. From the boat the aft rotors appear very close and you instinctivley duck, but viewed from the aircraft there is stacks of clearance.

GPMG
10th Jan 2008, 11:07
TSTK,
was this a SOP for those blokes that nod and your head falls off? The types that clear Oil rigs of 'angry men' and the like.

talk_shy_tall_knight
10th Jan 2008, 11:11
I can't answer that question.

Winch-control
10th Jan 2008, 11:16
Anyone remember doing it with the HHRC's and the dinks we had in the ramp area? Not to mention the looks on the faces of the guys as they observed the compost bags that formed the dam. And again the newspaper article that announced this was happening in a welsh resevoir that supplied drinking water to homes! (Good job the CH47 doesn't leak any oil! The Express if I remember rightly.):O

doubledolphins
10th Jan 2008, 14:50
TSTK

Roger Lamp Swing. Thanks for that. Furthur to my last, you are quite correct about the problems of maintaining steerage. There being no rudder (or keel for that matter), no thrust from the scew = no directional control.